“Beautiful Views”

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Lalibela
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Beautiful Views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel in the upper part of Lalibela has spectacular views. The rooms are nice and the food is good. Wifi in lobby is an asset. The big drawback is the long walk to town and the lack of availability of taxis.

Room Tip: all rooms have balcony and view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ray5823

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed at the Mountain View for 2 night as part of the standard Northern Historical Tour route. The views were fantastic both from the room and from the balcony. The rooms were good and had clean hardwood floors.

They claim to have WIFI access but it didn't work during our stay and we are told that it mainly doesn't work according to people that we met on the trip and from what we have read on Tripadvisor. I complained to the hotel manager about this.

Bottom-line, They don't understand that people expect to have Internet access and getting it to work and to work consistently should be a priority.

Overall I would say the service was indifferent. As an example, we sent our laundry out the day before our departure. It didn't come back when promised in the evening but was rushed to us in the morning folded but damp at checkout. We ended up packing damp laundry for our next flight.

These are small things so I'm rating the hotel a four but good hotels should have good service.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the mountain
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank travelpal32489
Wichita, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

After spending the first night at another hotel in town, I found the Mointain View to be delightful. The views were truly amazing and the night sky was phenomenal. The rooms were clean and the beds were adequate. The food was slightly overpriced, but comparable to the other restaurant we visited while we were there. They do squeeze as many passengers as possible into the van, but the cost was much less than the first hotel when we were the only passengers.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Wichita50
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for two nights in June 2012. I enjoyed my stay here, and would definitely stay again. I was in Rm. 104, and my rating is based on that room.

Positives

- The hotel has a gorgeous hilltop location, with views out over the valleys and mountains in which Lalibela is situated. I had my own private balcony with the view and a tiny little private “garden” of lovely flowers on the balcony. Just lovely. I didn’t travel to Ethiopia to spend time in hotel rooms, but this was one room/balcony I’d have loved to have spent more time in/on.

- The restaurant has a Jamaican chef, and the food is influenced by that - pleasant change from the usual Ethiopian/standard fare. He’s a nice guy and is happy to discuss the menu and make recommendations. Not everything I had was great (I’m a vegetarian), but I did have some excellent simple pasta.

– I had many huge towels instead of the one thin towel common to single rooms. I also had an extra roll of toilet paper! It’s amazing how exciting such simple pleasures could be in Ethiopia.

– It was very quiet - I heard no noise from other rooms or outside.

– My bed was quite comfortable - neither too firm nor too soft for me. No bedbugs.

– The toilet and sink plumbing worked well.

– The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Negatives/other factors:

- The rooms are sprayed for bugs at least once a day. If you object to the chemical odor, you’ll have to wait a while after the spraying until the odor dissipates, or open the balcony door to air things out (and risk more bugs coming in!). Alas, there was no screen on my balcony door, and there were definitely mosquitos up here. However, one plus of the spraying is that there were no bugs in my room.

- The showers have individual hot-water heaters, and mine produced scaldingly hot water! The water pressure was so low, however, that the water had trouble coming out of the shower head and wanted to keep reverting to coming out of the tub taps.

- My room was essentially not decorated at all, but the view more than made up for that - I had the view even lying in bed.

- The room was HOT! There’s no A/C, and with no screen on the balcony door, I had to leave it closed.

- One of my lamps didn’t work, and so the room was fairly dim. There were also some power outages and some seriously dim brownouts, so keep your flashlight/headlamp handy.

– The hotel’s kind of out of town - be sure you’re prepared to walk or to find transportation to the center.

In summary, if it hadn’t been for the hot, unventilated room, I would have loved my stay here. However, I’d stay again - for this part of Ethiopia, the hotel is quite good.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank velevele
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Probably the best hotel in town. From what I could tell, all rooms have a spectacular view of the valley. Best time to visit is during the rainy season, May to September, when you can see every kind of green you could think of. An added bonus is the wide range of birds that freely fly throughout the hotel. The chef is a descendant of a Jamaican immigrant who joined in the "Back to Africa" movement of the 1960s. The food is nice offering a wide range of tasty choices. If you fancy traditional Ethiopian food, it must be ordered a day in advance or so. Although it has Internet, it was down during our two day stay, but with the beautiful views of Mountain View, who really needs the net?

Room Tip: Since there is no lift in it, you may want to choose the top floor to avoid the staircase, for when...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ViajeroSolitario1999
Saudi Arabia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

The hotel has many more facilities than most hotels in Ethiopia, the outdoor terrace is lovely offering faboulous view to the valley below. The rooms are comfortable however we asked for one bed and were told there was only 2 beds, the sheets are too small for the beds and waking up you were more on the matress than the sheets also the bath sheets were very thin and the bath mats did not look very clean. Staff were OK the Jamacian chef offered lots of choices.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer better views but they are all good
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SaudiArabia1002
Ethiopia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

in the beginning of May we were in Lalibela and stayed at the Mountain View Hotel. This was easily the best hotel we stayed in while visiting Ethiopia. It was very clean, the rooms were most comfortable and the views were unforgettable.
Also, most importantly, the staff were all very pleasant, friendly and helpful. One morning when I s

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Binyam K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lalibela
Panoramic View Hotel
Cliff Edge Hotel - Lalibela
Red Rock Lalibela Hotel
Red Rock Lalibela Hotel
#5 of 19 in Lalibela

Been to Mountain View Hotel? Share your experiences!