“Lovely hotel; rooms a bit dark”

and 1 more site!
Kuriftu Resort & Spa Bahir Dar
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Bahar Dar
Bicester, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel; rooms a bit dark”
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

This is a nice hotel with a pretty setting by the lake and a lovely pool and restaurant. Rooms are nicely furnished (though the wardrobes are clearly designed for giants!) but a little dark. Bring a plug for the wash basin (applies to several hotels in Ethiopia) and the shower stall is a bit basic but shower works fine.
Free foot massage and Swedish massage (one of each. Per room) included in the price: only took the foot massage which was very good.
Overall a nice relaxing. Hotel

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank katejcarr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Arabic first
Burford, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Impressive setting, rooms and facilities with a staff who have been over trained in customer care i.e. "it will be my pleasure" etc. etc. "allow me to carry the fork you have just collected over to your table" the only thing is that the super words are not backed up by action i.e. in a group of 16 people it took one hour between ordering the soup and it being delivered to the table. There were very few other diners. But when it arrived the food was very good

Excellent free wi fi in the reception area. Had a Swedish massage. Excellent but I was somewhat surprised that it was delivered by a young woman without giving me the choice between a male or female masseur.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the main road which can be noisy
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Peter M
Byron Bay, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2014

After attempting to make a reservation on their online site, 2 phone calls and 3 emails later, I waited 3 days for a response. None came. If it is that hard, please do yourselves and everyone else a favour and outsource your bookings to a reliable provider.

Please also note that after the frustration experienced in trying to make a reservation with this hotel, I obtained an instant reservation with another hotel at one quarter the price (but also highly recommended) followed up within half an hour with a welcome mail providing information about the hotel and local attractions and had an airport pickup booked.

Get your act together!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 14, 2014

After travelling nearly 24 hours we arrived at this place, and the room with the kingsize bed was everything one could hope for!

It's a gem of a place, situated next to Lake Tana, with a beautiful pool to spend some time in the sun. Service was terrific, although there was some confusion about what was included in the reservation and what not. It wasn't clear to us from the information if all was payed for or not.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank T_R_I_P785
Reviewed February 10, 2014

We stayed here for two nights in December in what must have been a quiet period as there seemed to be few guests. We got a lovely room directly facing the pool; we loved the stone and wood details, the wonderful gardens and lakeside terrace. 'Medieval castle meets Club Tropicana'.
The service was great- our three small children got a lot of special attention and staff were warm and attentive. We loved the food- western-style as well as Ethiopian.

The only downside? The pool was rather cold- so instead of plunging in, we spend quite a bit of time just lounging beside it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jessica B
Greater Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I stayed here with my family in December and the facilities are wonderful! We were treated to a spa treatment which was bliss and the rooms are wonderful and very comfortable.

The only problem was that there was a wedding on the same weekend and they were using most of the outdoor decking by the pool so we couldn't sit and enjoy the lake views ourselves. I felt it was annoying because they could have told us this or called us after we made the reservation... The worse part was that it carried on into the early morning so our sleep was a bit disrupted...

However, the spot is beautiful and the staff are very helpful and friendly!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Nickykoala
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My friend and I went to Kuriftu Resort and Spa to have massage at Spa. We stayed another hotel.
We had to wait for 2 hours until the service available, so I recommend to book. The pricesetting was reasonable and not too expensive (I reckon the accommodation fee is expensive though.) My friend had Swedish massage and nail polish and I had only Swedish massage. It was relaxing and worth taking.

One thing I would like to advice is to appoint woman beauty therapist if you like.
You will take off all of your clothes (one bath towel) and get massage service. I do not know if it is their culture or not, I (female) was massaged by male therapist. I did not expect this and realize until he speaks after about 20 minutes.

I went back to this spa after 2 weeks. I took the same massage course by female therapist. It was more relaxing but the finger pressure was stronger with make therapist...it is your choice totally.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends