“Will definitely go back!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Tiki Resort

The Tiki Resort
Ranked #54 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
Boston, Massachusetts
“Will definitely go back!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

I don't know what all the bad reviews are about, frankly. We had a very clean room, good service by friendly staff, and a cool old-school hotel that's been renovated and is really trying to set itself apart. This was our 3rd time here, and we like it better and better all the time. The ONLY downside was the bathroom light, which was very, very dim. Otherwise it was a great experience all around! Super-comfy beds, new carpeting/drapes/upholstery, great pool area, awesome little tiki bar, and walking distance to pretty much everything.

1 Thank bc618

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
New City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

This Lake George fixture has recently been taken private, dropping its large chain franchise affiliation. The hotel is undergoing major renovation and modernization. Our room was beautifully renovated -- brand new bathroom, new superb bedding, big screen flat-panel TV. The staff was great, the location ideal. Icing on the proverbial cake came in the form of great breakfasts served in the cafe and complimentary cocktails in the Tiki bar. As the renovations to the rest of the resort are completed, this hotel will certainly become one of the prime choices for vacationers and conventioneers visiting this gateway to the Adirondacks.

Room Tip: We prefer the main building to the pool wing.
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2011

Previous reviews made us skeptical, but our 40 person group LOVED it here. Rooms were comfortable, bathrooms updated, staff very accomodating. Would definitely recommend
staying here. Had a lovely show in the evening, enjoyed the outdoor pool,
food was very good. Try it.....I'm glad we did!!

Room Tip: Stay in updated building.
Cadillac, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

My fiancé and I months ago decided we were going to Lake George for bike week (Americade). I wanted us to stay on the main drag so it made sense to stay here.

When one first walks into the area where the rooms are there is such a strong smell of mildew that you almost gag. There is an attempt at disguising this odor with what seems to be pine sol.

Ok so we had just ridden for 3 days, i.e. over 1,600 miles and the last thing I felt like doing was trying to cancel the reservation and trying to find another place especially with the chances of finding another "good" location with thousands of other people in the area near impossible.

So we unpacked... then I walked into the bathroom and all was fine except the tub... disgusting. It had one of those stick on safety bathtub mats that was very grimy. I tried to rinse it off and it was just built up grime. Probably needed to be changed or at least sprayed down with bleach. Again we chose to move on and enjoy our stay especially since the TIki is within walking distance of the Americade grounds. But having said that it is not within walking distance of downtown area where all the action is.

So again being the positive fun loving people that we are we ignored the smells and the grime. The first two days the front desk people were delightful. One of the ladies even set up laundry pick up/delivery for us. She told us that it was not a service that is often requested but that where she used to work she had connections with a dry cleaning/laundry facility in Warrensburg and that she would be more than happy to set it up for us and that they would charge the room for the service. Later that day all we had to do was pick up a nice package of clean clothes. For those of you that travel a lot you may understand how good it feels to have that kind of service available and to not have to worry about doing laundry yourself while on vacation or hauling all the stinky stuff back home.

Three days later (and mind you we booked the Tiki for 5 nights at $136 for the first three nights and $230 for the last two nights, I wouldn't call that cheap...) I called down for repeat laundry service... the young lady that answered did not know what I was talking about and asked that I call back after 9 am when the manger would be available. I did as asked and the rudest person I've NOT had the pleasure of speaking to answered telling me that no such service was offered and that if I needed to do laundry I could do it myself etc etc. I tried to explain that this service was previously offered to us and that I even had the contact information for the laundry facility. Again the answer was NO. I asked if I could leave a credit card number for them to do the transaction for us being that charging it to the room as previously done seemed impossible at this time according to this manager lady and again the answer was NO. Basically she didn't care and wasn't going to do anything "special."

To the Tiki management: We plan on coming back to Americade next year but the over $1,000 we spent with you will be gladly spent elsewhere. With the way the economy is if I were in your field of business I would bend backwards to please my customers and ensure I have return customers and that they do not give bad reviews. I wouldn't even be writing a review of how bad your place smells or about the tub if the "manager" had not been so rude and unpleasant.

BTW Sonya at the Tiki bar was great. If anything we would stop by the bar to say hi to her.

Au revoir!

P.S. since I'm on a rant here... the same day that I called down for repeat laundry service we also requested more toilet paper be brought up and we were asked if we could wait until housekeeping came around which was after 12 noon every day.

Also they say they have WI-FI but neglect to tell you that you have to be in their lobby to access it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ah71

Travelers are raving about these Lake George hotels

Lodi, NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

We attended Americade for the first time and didnt know better. We arrived a couple of hours earlier after riding for 3 1/2 hours and were told that we couldnt check in until 3pm. They at least allowed us to unpack some of our bags off the bikes so that we could go ride around. When we returned at 3:30pm we had to wait and make sure the room was ready. We check in and as part of our package we are given ONE complimentary drink coupon. Now they charged for double occupancy but as we were told "the manager said only ONE per room". The room was musty and damp, no matter how cool we made it that didnt make a difference it didnt make it better. The bathroom was very moldy and didnt seem to be very clean. The tub was not draining fast and therefore the water was held up as we showered. For the money they charge I was expecting better. We tried calling the front desk several times from our room and after no answer the recording that they were closed for the season was still on. We walked downstairs and told the front desk and she said "i will check into it". The front desk doesnt know anything about whats going on with the hotel, they have to ask someone else every time a question is posed. We were there a week and the recording is still on, go figure. We asked about next years rate and were told it is going to be $10 more than this year, we asked what was that and they didnt know. Oh yea and they apparently have packages that go with the breakfast at the Garden Cafe which no one ever told us about until we had breakfast and the waitress mentioned it. Needlesstosay, we went across the street booked our reservations for next year at half of what we paid them. The room is smaller but practical, king size bed, jacuzzi, microwave and tv. I will never stay here again and I will let Americade know about their service.

4 Thank prlady69108
Wasaga Beach, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

We travel a lot and have never written a review before, but I felt I must after a wretched night at the Tiki.
At the time of booking we had phoned ahead to the hotel to inform them that we would be a late arrival and were assured that it would be no problem, but that the reception desk is only open until midnight. Indeed, when we arrived at 10:30, the 2 ladies at the desk (one was in training) made it very apparent they were anxious to go home. We had also asked for an updated room not on the ground floor due to seasonal allergies. Again we were assured it would be no problem and were told all the rooms had been updated.
We arrived at 10:30 after 16 hours on the road and were given a room on the ground floor. We were too exhausted to say anything and hoped for the best and we were glad that we wouldn't have to haul our luggage up a flight of stairs.
The room was really bad, It was very damp, musty smelling and dingy. Everything felt wet...the bed, pillows, towels, floor, drapery...and it had not been updated, unless you call a new bed throw updating.
What was most disconcerting was the smell. If you can smell mustiness, there has to be mold there...and I did see evidence of that in the bathroom behind the door.
Two of the pillows had dirty pillowcases on them, there was a dirty towel hanging on the bathroom doorknob from the previous guest (ick) and the sheets were dingy looking and rumpled. On the bed there was a toss cushion that was up against the pillows we were to use and who knows where those dirty looking things had been. There was no soap in the bathroom which made for an interesting soapless shower.
I killed a few bugs in the bathroom that were hiding behind the shower curtain. Behind the bathroom door was a ventillation duct that was very rusty and moldy. The floors were shiny marble and very cold and damp.
The bedding was musty smelling as well as the wooden night table. I sprayed some of my very expensive perfume around the bed to help with the odor, but that did not last long.
Long story short, I awoke in the middle of the night with a very sore throat and headache and 4 days later, which is now, I am still suffering from lung congestion and sore throat. Is this due to contact with mold? I cannot be sure, but I do know that if you can smell mustiness and see mold, then there is a potential health risk.
We booked on Hotwire and should have forfeited the room payment and gone to another hotel.
Our suggestion to anyone considering a stay at the Tiki is: DO NOT STAY HERE! Mold is serious business, not to be taken lightly. This hotel needs to do an air quality check and remedy the situation. Other reviewers have had the same complaint. It is not just us.

Room Tip: I do not know how you would get a good room.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank paddi_11
EBETSCH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

Great Rates Great Location, Clean Spacious Room, Excellent Maid Service They kept the room spotless and brought us everything we asked for. Couldnt be better. Only problem was the Garden Cafe in the hotel where they serve breakfast. We waited way too long ( two other couples came in after us, ordered, ate, and left while we waited for our order to be taken) while listening to the staff bicker and watch them deliver food to the wrong tables. It was like a Saturday Night Live routine. Other than that it was a great stay, and as far as the room and the maid service and rates,,,it was all top notch.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple