Our family of four visited Lake George and stayed at Surfside on the Lake in late June. Never having visited the area before, we decided not to book rooms prior to arrival, but to take our chances on finding the perfect lakeside lodging. We choose the Surfside because of its private beach and pool area (a MUST for our 8 year old). We were given a lake front "cottage", which is really just a regular motel room which faces the lake. The view was great, but you if you leave the curtains open, you are certainly on display for all the folks cooking on the grill or hanging around the marina area. Also, the cabin does not open to the lake front; you have to walk around the back to get there. Entrance to the "cottage" also requires walking down a flight of steps that should have been replaced several years ago. General upkeep really seems to be an issue here; there was trash scattered around and lots of areas where a little TLC would make all the difference. The room was decorated in an Adirondack style and was fairly clean. We did see a few bugs, and there was a mildew odor, which was explained when we had an afternoon downpour and the water came pouring in under the door. The carpet area around the door remained wet for the rest of our stay. One highlight of our stay was the "laser light show" by the pool, which is evidently held each evening. It is VERY kitsch-y; it looks like old TV antennas that blink. We thought it was quite funny and still laugh about it. One thing that we thought could improve it (Surfide management take note) is choreographing the lights to music. We found the breakfast buffet to be disappointing and overly expensive; the bar was closed during our stay. We wanted to rent a pontoon boat to take out on the lake, and the front desk directed us to a rental company at Bolton's Landing. We went there and had a great time, but later found out we could have rented the same boat at the town's dock three blocks away. It does seem that they could have mentioned that. We had a good time, but I was ready to leave by Sunday morning. I would probably not stay at the Surfside again; after all, I've already seen the laser lights!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A family-friendly hotel in the heart of Lake George village. With a wide variety of rooms from a single bed to Suites overlooking the lake. The property is lakefront and has 233 feet of beach, a private heated pool, and numerous decks to relax on. We offer a wireless internet service around the entire property. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Surfside On The Lake Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Surfside On The Lake Hotel Lake George
- Surfside On The Lake George