My first impression was actually quite good. At check-in, the staff was very friendly and explained the package we had taken very well. They let us check in early, which was nice because we were tired from the drive and our 8 month-old was starting to fuss a bit.
Upon reaching our room, I felt a bit let down. It was tiny and the fridge that we had hoped to toss some groceries in turned out to be an itty-bitty mini-fridge that could hold maybe 6 items. That wasn't good, as we had some frozen baby food with us, so we had to keep that in the ice bucket, covered in ice (although the fridge did a have a tiny "freezer" about the size of two coke cans.
My wife noticed Cheerios on the floor and wondered out loud if the room had been cleaned. I mentioned this to the front desk and someone was sent right away to vacuum, followed by at least two people following up on it to make sure things were OK. We were even offered another room, but decided to stay put.
The room's bathroom was tiny-- the sink didn't fit in it and so was located just outside the door as part of the "bedroom". This was odd, but overall it was OK. We weren't in Lake George for the hotel room, after all. While I felt the room didn't match what I expected based on their website, it was passable.
The hotel is in a pretty good location, close to the action. It also has a "beach", but it is quite tiny. No real room for kids to run around and play, but it does give access to the water and paddle boats and kayaks are available to rent. The pool actually suited us much better.
The absolute best part, however, was the buffet. We weren't really expecting much at all, but there was a good selection and everything that we tried was quite good. Even when we had used up our breakfast vouchers, we went back again for our final day. The staff there was very good, as well.
Overall, i am not sure that I would stay there again, but it had more positives than negatives.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A family-friendly hotel in the heart of Lake George village. With a wide variety of rooms from a single bed to Suites overlooking the lake. The property is lakefront and has 233 feet of beach, a private heated pool, and numerous decks to relax on. We offer a wireless internet service around the entire property. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Surfside On The Lake Hotel & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Surfside On The Lake Hotel Lake George
- Surfside On The Lake George