“wonderful location”

Ranked #31 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Diss, United Kingdom
“wonderful location”
Reviewed October 20, 2011

My partner and I booked a lakeside view, upon arrival we were greeted by Erin in reception who was very cheerful and extremely helpful . As we had booked a 'fall 3 night package deal' she took her time to explain all the things that were included in our stay. We got our keys and went to the room, I was happy with the room itself, but the view was spoilt by a conifer tree blocking quiet a bit of the lake view . I went back to the reception and pointed this out to Erin , she was very good and managed to get us transferred to another room that was perfect . Overall we would recommend Surfside on the Lake for a family break, I can not comment on much else as it was late in the season and very quiet, most things shut down , but all looked clean and well kept .

Room Tip: The new block of rooms has the best view, and being newer are cleaner and brighter.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank massey-man2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Pennellville, New York
Reviewed October 17, 2011

My wife and two girls stayed at the Surfside Oct.14-16. I paid a base rate of $159.00 per night. Since one of the girls is over 13 years old, they dinged me an extra $10.00 per night. I was aware of this before checking in, so I wasn't overly annoyed. But the room has three queen sized beds and they still base their rates on 2 adults. Why? WiFi is an extra $5.00. This was a bit annoying. Not too many hotels dare to charge for this amenity that's became an actual necessity for so many people. The main bedroom was pretty large and easily fit 2 of the beds. The second bedroom was pretty small. The bathroom was very small. The kitchen had a microwave, a small refrigerator, toaster, and coffee maker(but no coffee). There were a few bowls and utensils, but no paper towels to clean them with. The balcony is not large, as stated on their website. It is actually quite small. But the view is out of this world! It almost makes up for the other deficiencies of this place.No way would I stay here in the summer and pay the outrageous high season rates.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank verybigv
connecticut
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I'm not going to lie to you. The surfside is not the equivalent of let's say, the w in Chicago. But it's in lake George village, the capital of cheesy, late 60's resort-ness.

That being clarified, it's not bad! We got quite the steal on a "two bedroom suite" with a lake view. Our family of three found it to be quite comfortable. We had a lake view, three queen beds and an adjoining bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. It appeared clean on arrival. I will note, the windows and slider were brand spanking new (I won't mention the lack of handle on the inside of the screen sliding door. Or. Maybe I will.) the acs worked, we had two flat screens, was fine.

To be noted, there was a dorm sized fridge (fine for our 4 day stay), a microwave we didn't use, and some plates (5), mugs (4), bowls (4), and A pint glass and A rocks glass. Silverware numbered 4 each. Bring coffee and filters (#2), those are not provided. I inquired at the front desk about those coffee packets you throw in, not available. She was kind enough to extend three filters. Glad I brought coffee, and that there was a price chopper in the neighborhood.

Knowing that we were walking into lake George village, and all that that brings, we were happy. Housekeepings not the best, but then again, we knew.

Since it was September/October, we never even ventured to the pool or the beach. The pool should've been closed a few weeks prior, was green. The beach? It had been raining all weekend so I will not pass judgment.

In conclusion, I would say that the surfside is fine. Again. Its not the ritz. But you are in lake George village. What did you expect?

• Stayed September 2011
3 Thank nappykink
Edison, New Jersey
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I had room number 409 which is on the 2nd floor. It was neither a poolside nor lake side and room was very small but i guess we compromised on the price which was 150$ per night. we were there for 2 days. beds were clean, pillow was dirty but could be one odd case. On entering the room, we could smell wet clothes and upon calling people came and sprayed some perfume which was ok. We were told that room has microwave but it was not there but upon asking we got it very soon. refrigerator is also small. we had trouble with our next door neighbor kids who used to make hell lot of noise and each day we had to call office and complain but it used to stop after complaining. In all, small issues were there but it was very well handelled by the management. It has 1 pool which is good enough. They have ample parking (free).They have their own lake side beach (small) which is good and boat rentals are available from the hotel backyard. Location wise this is fantastic, its in the village so no need to take your car out. everything is within 1 mile. This area has a major mobile connectivity problem nothing to do with hotel.

Room Tip: lake view is good. poolside would be noisy. other rooms are just rooms and very close to everything...
3 Thank kirtimandal
Albany, NY
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Parking is horrible. It's so tight and everyone has the big SUV's or mini-vans (myself included). There arent even enough spaces at night for all the cars. At first glance I thought the room to be okay in cleansiness, but the bathroom shower curtain had mildew a quarter of the way up it. I also requested a crib in the room and the mattress was filthy..as were the bars on the crib itself. We were supposed to stay two nights but ended up staying one and going home the next night (we live 50 minutes away). Also we decided to go up to Bolton Landing for a kid friendly beach area. One of the reasons I chose the Surfside was that it had its own beach but it's right next to docked boats and such. Veterans memorial beach in bolton landing is perfect for kids. If we stay up this way again we'll stay up more towards Bolton Landing area.

1 Thank KeyWest16

Travelers are raving about these Lake George hotels

Boston
Reviewed September 2, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Surfside for a little summer getaway. After doing a lot of research we decided to book a room at Surfside because it seemed to have everything we wanted. The staff was friendly from the minute I called. We arrived to find a large, very clean hotel right in the heart of Lake George. I was amazed at how big it was... it was very deceiving from the street. Our room was right down on the beach. It was clean and had a wonderful view of the lake. We enjoyed the heated pool and big sandy beach very much. We rented a paddle boat and looked at all the other hotels nearby from the lake... we were amazed at how small all the other beaches were compared to the one at Surfside. We could not find one thing wrong with our stay. Next year we will definitely chose to stay at Surfside again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank BillyYBoston
Hempstead, NY
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Rooms are tight, carpets filthy, parking horrendous.
Our air conditioning wasn't working when we arrived. After trying to repair it for almost an hour, the two maintenance men pulled the whole thing out of the wall and got another. The bedroom had 2 queen sized beds, but you could only get into part of the dresser because it was so tight. If you chose to use the pull out under the sofa, be warned, it stays on the floor level.
Housekeeping only straightens beds and replaces towels. Don't expect to see your floors clean.
Fully equipped kitchen is a couple of bowls, glasses and plates. The silverware is in an uncovered tray on top of the microwave. Refrigerator handle was broken and I'd be arfaid to use the stove.
The beach area is small, but kept clean. The outdoor areas are, in fact, cleaner than the indoor. The parking lot is so tight, it's difficult to back your car out or make the turns.
The brochures and internet pictures make the place appear way larger than it is.
Very disappointed and will not return.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
1 Thank eddiesgram