“How much?????”

Ranked #2 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
Sparta, New Jersey
“How much?????”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My family and i just returned from a wonderful trip through the New England states and stayed at some of the most beautiful hotels i feel you can book. Hyatt Regency Boston, Omni Mt. Washington, and The Inns at Mills Falls (Lake Winnipessaukke). We decided to extend the trip back to the beautiful Lake George area that we have been to numerous times and have stayed at multiple resorts, cabins, and hotels previously. i have stayed here at the Holiday Inn once before and did enjoy the hotel and all the amentities it has to offer for a fall October trip. The indoor pool, the fire pit, on site restaurant, etc. However, it doesn't compare to the places previously mentioned nor does it fall in the same league as the Sagamore, Lodges at Cresthaven, or a few others as far as comfort, decor, or PRICE which is really the focal point of this review. No matter how you break it down, it is a Holiday Inn. The rooms are typical rooms, nothing special. Very small bathrooms. They do have ample parking. Only one elevator on the lobby side of the building, so it is a decent walk if your room is on the opposite side as was mine (lazy? no. just an observation). Staircases nearby for egress. It is not lakefront and you may think it is walking distance to the lake or start of town, but trust me you will get halfway there and start to realize you should have driven. Now heres the part where I get pushy. I asked when we arrived if an upgrade to a suite was available and by chance there was. My original booking for a two double beds poolside room was $300+ without taxes and fees etc. which is a tad high for Lake George and the above mentioned pros and cons but i accepted it. When pleased that the upgrade to the suite was an option, even happier. GET READY!!!!!! I was then pleasantly told that my new accommodations would now cost me $529 per night. let me retype that, $529 per night. WOW!!!! for what?????. The suite offers a seperate room when first entering with a pullout sofa. TV, and oh yeah WET BAR (should I say anymore $$$$$$$). Definitely no WOW factor associated with the suite.Granted it is an upgrade, but did I mention it is a Holiday Inn. I was in shock and at a loss for words. The front desk was kind, and almost giggled when they had to repeat and explain the reasoning for such a fee which there really wasn't any. I had to walk outside and make sure i wasn't uptown Manhattan staring at the Waldorf, or Trump Tower. But the sign did have that green and white "H" logo which convinced me it was a HOLIDAY INN in Lake George NY. Needless to say i declined the upgrade and stuck to my original booking. This review isn't by any means a bashing or even a decision to say stay elsewhere. The hotel as mentioned is in a good location, with nice ammentities, ample parking, on site restaurant (not to bad either) just in my honest opinion PRICED WAY TO HIGH for a Holiday Inn. There are many other hotel chains nearby priced much lower, and for the price per night they charge. can get you a room at the other above mentioned resorts with the same luxuries and then some. This is honestly the very first time i chose to take the time and write a review about any vacations good or bad, and trust me i use Trip Advisor as a real testament to how hotels, restaurants, day trips,etc. really come off to people and there experiences. I guess my overall rating of "very good" holds true, I'm just compelled to let Holiday Inn no that they are still Holiday Inn and nothing more. Hope I got my point across,

10 Thank ray w
Michael S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Lake George, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and for staying with us. We have proudly been a Holiday Inn since 1966, and coverted to a Resort four years ago. I
very much appreciate your point of view regarding rate and price value. It is a discussion that we have on a regular basis. We do attempt to offer added value to our rates, but are sorry that you may not have felt that way. It was a constructive review, which was appreciated.

Michael/GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed one night at this hotel and the views and family activities available are nice. It is also conveniently located to busy parts of Lake George but not immersed in it. The hotel itself is not updated but was clean. We did not have time to swim but did have a fun time playing shuffleboard and a chess game on the giant lawn board. We tried to check in a couple of hours before 4pm check in and had to wait in the lobby for the room to be available. We were the only one's waiting and in clear view of the front desk staff but they never came to tell us our room was ready. I finally said something after two families checked in in front of us and of course our room was ready. Front desk staff was friendly enough but inexperienced in customer service and very young.

1 Thank Alison S
Thank you for your review. We do try very hard to keep our resort clean, and fun.
I am sorry that you had to ask to see if your room was ready, but appreciate your staying with us and giving us a try.

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My family and 8 other friends just came back from a wonderful stay at the Holiday Inn Resort in Lake George. We weren't sure what to expect being it was the 1st time for all us. But I have to say this resort was wonderful! 1st and foremost when it comes to hotel cleanliness I can be a bit of a snob! I always bring my own disinfecting wipes and give the bathroom, remotes, handles and phones a wipe down! Mattresses get pulled and checked the minute I enter my hotel room the very first time. There was some dust and a tissue when I pulled out my mattresses. I immediately called the front desk to has this cleaned. But overall the the room was clean and smelled of air freshener.

The amenities this hotel has to offer was superb! From the nice size pool, play ground, to the shuffle board and the miniature golf. My kids had a ball! Throughout the day the hotel offers different activities. From picture frame making, family games, "dive in movie" (movie night in the the pool are)), to free ice cream every day at 3:15 by the pool! Every Monday the hotel has a welcome reception at the pool where they have snacks like watermelon and chicken nuggets. Along with refreshments such as lemonade, soft drinks, beer and even wine! Oh I forgot to mention kids eat free from the kids menu for breakfast and dinner!. And I have to say the hotel restaurant offers some of the best food I've tried in the Lake George area!

This Resort is perfect proximity to everything!

My family, friends and I thoroughly enjoyed our first time in Lake George and It had a lot to do with the great resort we stayed at! We will definitely be back and we'll definitely be staying at the Holiday Inn Resort!

1 Thank Tiff C
Thank you for your nice comments. The ice cream has been very popular this season, and I am glad that we choose to do that. We hope to see you again.

Newburyport, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Holiday Inn with our children, 7 & almost 3. We stayed in double queen suite which had a bedroom with 2 queen beds and a living room with a pullout, frig, microwave, & small sink. The room had an beautiful view of the lake. The room was spotless. There are no bowls, plates or utensils so it's not a full service kitchenette. Next year I will bring plastic products because it's easier to serve the kids cereal & fruit rather than go out to breakfast. We used the indoor and outdoor pool, the playground, the putting green and shuffle board court. We watched the movie by the pool from our balcony on Wednesday night! The only bad thing I have to say is about our dinner the first night at TR's Restaurant. We received a coupon for 15% off dinner or one free drink upon check in because of my husband's priority club status. In addition, kids are supposed to eat free if staying at the hotel. We were exhausted and did not know this until after the fact. The waiter messed up putting our meal order in and it took forever to get our food - people that came in 15 minutes after us finished their meal before we got ours. We were charged for the kids meal. And when we presented the coupon - he took 15% off the bill which was actually less then the cost of one beer (not by much but still he should have taken off what was greater). I was hesitant go their again but I did take the kids for breakfast one morning. This time it was a great experience. My son & I did the buffet ($5 for him, $13 for me) and my daughter ate off the kids free menu - cereal & fruit. My son got his $5 worth!! We are looking forward to staying at the Holiday Inn next August!

2 Thank EagleAction
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The Holiday Inn at Lake George lives up to its many great reviews. We stayed in a double queen suite on the 3rd floor which had plenty of space for two adults and three kids. Fantastic views, clean room, friendly staff and surprisingly quiet given how packed it was with children and infants. Our kids (12, 9, 8) loved the pools, shuffleboard, giant chess set and basketball court. They especially liked the hot tub and told me that I had to mention it in this review :) We all liked the food at the restaurant and our wait staff were all very friendly. We'll be back again for another stay very soon.

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms are the newest and seem to be the nicest, followed by the second floor. View of the...
1 Thank Michelle L
Michael S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Lake George, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am glad that you enjoyed our Resort. The third floor was added in 2007. The suites up there have been a hit with families. We look forward to your return.

New York
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed at 5 people at the Holiday inn resort with children age 2,5,13 and there was activities for everyone all within the resort which made my life easier. Located right up the road from the center (you can walk there), it's very convenient and also having the outdoor and indoor swimming pool helped a lot during the rainy days. We went to Six flags a few miles down as well as a few restaurants down route 9. A&W is located across the street (old fashion hamburger restaurant - service at the car window, fun for the kids).
Staff was very cordial and housekeeping excellent! great breakfast value, kids eat free and all you can eat buffet at $10.99 for adults.

Room Tip: If yo can request a room with a balcony - view on the lake, but must be more expensive I guess:) our...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us, and for writting a review. We like our location. The bowling ally is right next door, as is the A&W. The center of the village is a close walk or car ride. The Trolly is also available in the summer season. Our breakfast is very popular, every single day.

Sandy Springs, Georgia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

If you are visiting the Lake George area you should consider the Holiday Inn in Lake George. The hotel is designed for families with pools, miniature golf, basketball court and game room. Since I was there for business, I did not use any of those facilities, but many people were. The lobby of the hotel is small, but around the corner there is a good place to meet people. There is a restaurant next door and the grounds are nicely maintained. If you are a runner, you are near a long paved bike path that will probably go further than you would care to run, which is good as the street is just not suitable for running. The principal purpose of all hotels is give you a nice room in which to rest and this ultimately this hotel delivers. Remember, this is a Holiday Inn, not a Marriott, so for its class I found it to be very good. I was in room 107, a handicap room, so my evaluation of the bathroom below may not be typical.
The food served at the hotel was good and there are plenty of interesting shops and restaurants nearby. You can either walk or take a short drive, but parking is at a premium.
Reception Area: As mentioned previously, the lobby is adequate. There are many places to sit outside and inside. I had no wait to check-in. The hallways and the hotel generally is clean. The staff was helpful and courteous.

Room: The bed and pillows were comfortable. The room was clean and the bed was adequate, though not luxurious. There is a sliding door at the back of the room which lets in plenty of light and gives you great access to the main pool. The bathroom was sufficient, but there is only one sink. The shower needed some work as there was mildew evident. The lighting was good in all rooms with a usable work area, but inadequate power outlets near the work area. There were, however, plenty of outlets. Storage was also adequate. The rooms at night were quiet.

My overall experience here was very good. I am adding additional checklist information for those that are interested:

Check in
My reservation record was accurate.
The check-in process was timely and efficient.
The check-in staff was courteous.

Guest Room
My room was clean and comfortable.
My room was furnished appropriately.
My bed and bedding was comfortable, but not luxurious.
The room was quiet and medium sized.

Guest Staff
The guest staff was prompt, reliable, and friendly.
The guest staff was knowledgeable and fully answered my questions about the area.
Housekeeping staff was friendly and reliable.

Food and Dining
The food and dining staff was courteous.
The food quality was good.
I did not use room.

Amenities
There are many hotel amenities, including swimming pools, basketball, workout facilities, miniature golf and others.

Check out
The check-out process was timely and efficient.
I received a complete and accurate bill.
Room Tip: The hotel is a good size, but if you can get a room closer to the lobby you will be close to the amenities. An east facing room may get you a view of the lake.

Room Tip: Close to the lobby with a view to the street or pool.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Stacey S
Thank you for your review, and for the time that you took to write it. We are flattered to be mentioned along side of the Sagamore. It is a beautiful property. Our resort offers a comfortable place for business people along with the families. Families do dominate our place during the summer season, but we enjoy business travelers as well. I hope that you will be able to join us in the future.