“As always EXCELLENT!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 87 Hotels in Lake George
Laval, Canada
“As always EXCELLENT!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

My husband and I love to go to the Holiday Inn Lake George. We stay 4 days at least 3 times a year. Michael the manager, Bob and Agnes at the bar and Shirley the housekeeper are absolutely fantastic. Raymond Gorden and the dinner show are super too. We have been going to this hotel for the past 45 years and would choose no other. The rooms are clean, the food is great and the entire staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome. I love the fresh cookies and the fire pit too. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY IF YOU GO THERE. It is an event I look forward to each time. Our next visit will be in March for another 4 days. Will I see you there?

Room Tip: My favorite room is 317. It has a huge jacuzzi as well as a regular bathroom.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank bubbabares
Michael S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Lake George, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. A big thank you for your devoted patronage to our property.
We have an awesome staff at our Resort, and they always appreciate it when guests pay them compliments. I look forward to seeing you in March.

Michael/GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Niagara Falls, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Spent the weekend at this hotel to attend the Lake George Oktoberfest Fall Festival, We had our two little boys with us for the stay. First let’s say that the Front Desk Staff at the hotel were extremely friendly and service was great, The Cookies, Wine coolers and lemonade at 4pm check in is also a nice touch. Yum-YUM YUMMY!! All areas of the hotel were clean, nicely decorated and very well-kept from what I saw. The hotel is very geared to family’s and I bet that in the Summer it’s full of little ones and it's probably not the best choice for a couple trying to enjoy a quiet, romantic weekend. During the off season however, there wasn’t too many kids at the hotel, just our crazy guys and maybe 3-4 other family’s.
The indoor pool was great & they also had a sauna inside the pool room that I wish I could have used. Strangely the hot tub was on the outside of the hotel and quite a few brave people were enjoying it…Brrrrrr!!! Very tempting to look at, but those of us who were fearful of the chilly weather stayed inside. The other outdoor amenities were a small mini-putt area (Can I mention that HOLY COW, Lake George must be the Mini Putt capitol of the US cause the town was LITERALLY full of them), the hotel’s mini-putt is not very well constructed, but our toddlers liked it. Also outside was a shuffleboard area, a putting green an outdoor pool, small playground and splash pad. (Splash pad was already closed for the season so I can’t comment on that & since it was on the colder side we did not use the outdoor pool, but it was great looking). Also at the hotel was a kids activity room, which in the Summer schedules kids activities. It was closed part of our stay, but the front desk was pleased to open it so our little guys could have some play time. We also borrowed some books from their small library for bedtime stories, and returned them to the front desk the next morning. This was great as we didn’t pack too many toys and books from home to amuse the kids. Our room was on the second floor with a pool view… The balcony was bigger than the average hotels I’ve been to, and you could sit out and watch the fireworks at night. (NOTE: these occur every Thursday in the summer and then the schedule changes for fall - I think we saw the last scheduled ones until Thanksgiving and New Years.) Another great area to watch the fireworks is by the bonfire in front of the hotel, or on the various benches on the putting green and by the outdoor pool (in case your room is on the opposite side of the hotel).
OUR ROOM: The room was a good size, nicely decorated & had two Queen beds that were very comfy. The hotel puts towels for the pool in your suite so you don’t have to get them at the pool, which was a bonus “Woo-hoo!” & they were actually full size beach towels, not the hand towel size that you sometimes see at hotel pools. I only have two faults that I found with the room (as mentioned in other reviews), there are very tiny bathrooms. Of course this was only a problem if the entire family was trying to get into the bathroom to brush their teeth, or if you were trying to open the door with someone already inside the bathroom. The other problem was the walls are not sound proof and you can hear your neighbors pretty good. Which would be more of a problem during summertime, when the hotel is full to capacity. Anyways other than those minor problems, the room was great.

Hotel Restaurant (TR's)- hmm convenient, but we only ate there once. We ate from the menu for breakfast, (Note: kids eat free off the kiddie menu YAH!) Kids ordered pancakes which came looking like Mickie Mouse heads (very cute) and they had spill proof kiddie cups for the kids too (another YAH). Our waitress was great, she brought the kids food first as they were getting a little antsy. ---> We had a long wait for food as there was a big party in another area of the dining room, so food was slow coming out. (We could overhear arguments in the kitchen about it as well). Our adult breakfasts came later and you could tell they were rushed. Our eggs were not well cooked, burnt around the edges and RAW RAW RAW on top, my hubby ordered sunny side so a little undercooked can sometimes be expected, but it was still clucking. I had over easy, and strangely still had translucent egg white pooled on top. We actually mentioned the fact our eggs were not cooked to our satisfaction, but nothing was done. We didn’t go back after that experience.
One night we went to the bar for a couple glasses of wine (which were pretty expensive $7.50 glass for house wine), but that being said it was pretty good wine… We went out to the fire pit to relax with the kiddies by the fire… (another nice touch was the fire pit being lit each night.) It's not a real fire/natural gas...but I was really tempted to buy some marshmellows for the kids to roast over the fire.
Another tip: Pizza Jerks try this pizza place, you can order or eat in..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 123NIX
Michael S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Lake George, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time that you took to share your experience. I enjoyed reading it.
We are indeed geared towards families during our summer season. There is much to do for kids right here at our property. It is hard to believe when you see us, that our Resort was built in 1966. But as a consequence, the bathrooms on the first and second floors are a little smaller then ones built later on.
The outdoor hot tub is one of our favorite amenities, but I certainly understand your comments about it being a little chilly outside. We do have heating coils in the sidewalk pavers that go out to the hot tub, which we turn on in the fall/winter. That keeps the short path dry and safe.
Thanks for all of your thoughts, I do share these with our staff, and will make sure that our Food team sees your breakfast comments.

We look forward to having you join us in the future. Thanks for staying with us.

sacandaga, ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

We came here to see the show at the Lake George Dinner Theater that was playing in the hotel. We were so pleasantly surprised with this wonderful property. Fresh cookies and beverages were offered at checkout. The staff was so friendly.I asked if we could have late check out as it was my birthday and they offered me 12:30! The glass elevator showed the beautiful view of Lake George and a roaring fire pit. The room was extremely clean, the bed was comfortable, two types of pillows were available, and it was very spacious. The show was wonderful and food was great. We loved this property so much we are thinking of having our wedding there!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you enjoyed the Resort, and also enjoyed our Dinner Theater. This years show was terrific, and was a huge success. Season #46 next year.
Hopefully that show will be announced by the end of this year.

Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I selected this hotel based on its location and the cost per night; well worth it!

We were 10 to 15 minutes away from most everything you could want.

We had a double queen room (157) that had a pool view balcony. The balcony would be very nice in the summer for the ability to walk out of the room and get into the nice pool on the property.

While the room was spacious the lighting was very strange and the wireless internet signal was very poor.

The good thing is that the hotel realized this and had a hard wire connection available in the room. This worked out great.

There was one blunder on check-in though: We asked for a second floor room which was not an issue, though once we opened the door to the room we quickly realized that there was someone in the room already...whoops!

The hotel has a full restaurant in it but we didn't end up eating there because of the gluten allergy we have to work with.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking at staying in the Lake George area!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Michael S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Lake George, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for your note. I am glad that you liked us. Sorry to hear about the wireless being weak in that area of our building. We will look at that today. My apologies as well for you checking into an occupied room. That should never happen. Those patio rooms are very popular in the summer, with the outdoor pool being right in front of you.

We hope to see you again.

south of Buffalo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have never been to a Holiday Inn that offers the amenities that this one has. I enjoyed sitting outside at the fire pit in one of the many chairs. The pool was still open and heated. They have their own dinner show.....and of course the hotel was clean, the service was great, good parking, etc.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank darlin41ny
Thank you for writting a review. The Firepit is a very popular feature here, and we keep it open all year. Dinner Theater is wrapping up it's season this Saturday, and the show has been a success.
We look forward to eeing you again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

We were on our way back from a Vermont road trip to NJ and heard so much about Lake George we thought we'd stop off and spend a night with the kids. Wow! The town is like a ghost town. I don't understand why they advertise "come to Lake George durring the fall" and here it is mid October and they are shutdown? Anyway about the hotel...Great place! Clean, friendly staff, nice room, classy looking modern place, nice firepit, great indoor pool...what else can I say? Don't hesitate to book here durring season! Worth the money! My only complaint was their restaurant JR's I think it was called? Food quality was not great and it was pretty pricey! My wife got chicken parm with tons of sauce, barely melted mozzarella cheese on it and it tasted like a TV dinner. Better Italian at Olive Garden. My shrimp scampi had no taste! Beautiful looking restaurant but they need a new chef! Food was not good! Great hotel though!

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are glad that you stopped in on your way home. I also appreciate your comments regarding our community. Things do start slowing down a little bit, after Columbus Day.
I will also share your thoughts with our food team. We do normally get very good feedback about our restaurant, so I am sorry that your experience was not favorable.

We hope to see you again.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Went for long weekend Oct5-8 with wife and two kids. We had been to Lake George before but first time staying here. Super clean property and rooms. We had two queen beds in room. Only drawback was small bathroom.Restaurant and bar onsite, got a free welcome drink and we had a breakfast plan for the 3 days, kids under 12 eat free(2 and 9yr old yay!). Has outdoor pool+hot tub and indoor pool and sauna. There is also a cool fire pit (gas fireplace) outside and a park, bball court and telescope to look accross the lake in the front of the property. Also small games room and kids club for kids. All staff very friendly and accomodating. Right on the main strip in downtown Lake George. Reasonable rates compared to other properties. Would stay again!

Room Tip: We had an inside room on the main floor, but is was reasonably quiet. There are rooms that have balc...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FerTravel
Michael S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Lake George, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for your note. We enjoyed reading your response. We work hard to keep our Resort clean every single day. Our outside grounds do offer many options for kids.
WE look forward to you joining us again.