“VERY nice hotel!!”

Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #18 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Reviewed November 3, 2010

We went to Lake George to stay for a couple days for Halloween and we stayed in the hotel, which is the 3rd hotel built on the site. I cannot speak for the motel portions of the resort. I assume they were probably built in the 60's/70's to compete with the other motels popping up in the area and taking business since they tore down the second hotel in '69, so they may not have been updated much. But I am writing a review for the HOTEL and the hotel was very elegant with friendly staff. The room we stayed in (king mountain view jacuzzi) was great! Very clean and very roomy, and the bed was very comfortable. You do see the parking lot, but you can also see the mountains in the background and at this time of year it really is a nice view. The only SLIGHT drawback about the room was that there was no flatscreen tv. But honestly I didn't care, I didn't go up to watch tv. I cannot speak for the food service, since I did not eat there.
The ONLY thing that I really was disappointed in was the lack of paranormal activity at the hotel. For those into this, it is known that the hotel is haunted. We did go up for the ghost tours at the fort. So I was expecting to see a ghost. LOL. Just kidding, I wasn't disappointed with the hotel in any way, though I WAS hoping to experience something parnormal!! I would HIGHLY recommend staying here.

There are newer reviews for Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed October 17, 2010

FIRST, If you have to book here, don't use the 800 number! I reserved using the 800 number first but got a strange feeling; no reservation number and just a rather strange interaction from the other end. I called back to confirm the 2 seperate days and there was no record of my reservation. Who the heck did I give my cc# to?! Needless to say, I had to have a new one sent to me.
SECOND, they are so insanely overpriced. The main hotel ($150 and up) is acceptable. However, if you are an average person who can't afford blowing that, you are condemned to a MOTEL next to the main. It is rather insulting. It was only $50 less a night. They should have paid me to stay there.
THIRD, the accomodations were horrible. When we arrived the room was near 300 degrees. It took me the entire night to regulate the temperature with windows open and using the ac as an intake fan. There was an interesting stain on the wall. Extremely dated. The bathroom is light blue, yellow, and brown. The shower was like bathing with an out of control hose. I admit, I giggled at first because of the insanity but after a fun filled experience avoiding cuts from the pressure and flooding the floor, I couldn't breathe! The exhaust fan wouldn't work and the steam was choking me.
Really, I could go on but I tihnk I've made my point.
The so called "resort" is of course at a beautiful setting on the lake next to several steam boat tours but there is nothing else that this place has going for it.

2  Thank htownteacher
Reviewed October 15, 2010

Our wedding ceremony and reception took place at the FWH on October 2, 2010. The entire event was perfect! The wedding staff at the FWH, especially Roberta, Tim & Dawn, were amazing and got every detail right. I was able to enjoy my wedding day without any worries or stress.
Many of our family and friends stayed two nights and we didn't hear any complaints. Some of the front desk staff weren't top notch customer service specialists but overall they did a good job. We made sure to get rooms in the main part of the hotel since we had heard negative things about the other parts. Our room overlooked the water and the views were spectacular! The food at the reception was delicious and breakfast the next morning was good too. My husband and I are so happy we chose this hotel for our wedding. We would recommend this venue to anyone who wants to get married in the Lake George area. We hope to return again soon!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2010

Nice location. Decent staff. Otherwise a real disappointment.

Terrible condition (without exaggeration the older west motel wing should be condemned; newer east wing is decent but very dated; main central hotel is OK but nothing to rave about and a rip off). We reserved a room in the west wing but couldn't bear it, 'upgraded' to the east wing which was mildly better and tolerable. We checked out the central hotel rooms which were just OK but thought them way over priced. Furniture/curtains/linens (old and worn), plumbing (old and barely functional), lighting (old and dingy), TVs (old), everything in the whole place that you can think of is old and needs updating. Note: no frig or microwave in any rooms.

For what should be a 'signature' hotel for this historic locale this place is a complete and utter disappointment.

Reviewed October 11, 2010

I was nervous about booking a room here because of all of the negative reviews, but my husband and I had a very nice stay here. We booked a mountain view king room in the main hotel and yes, you overlook a parking lot, but there were beautiful views of the fall foliage in the distant mountains. Besides, who stays that long in their hotel room?

The room was very nice and clean and very large! It seems like it's the rooms in the main hotel that have been updated and the ones in the motel section haven't. There is a beautiful view of the lake from the hotel "veranda" but it's more like a patio. You do have to cross a street to actually make it to the water, but no hotel is directly on the water here.

Steer clear of the White Lion for breakfast. We had the buffet and it was awful! Don't waster your $10. It was like bad cafeteria food. But, the restaurant did have a nice view of the lake - if you happened to be one of the lucky people seated up by the windows (which we were).

Overall it was a nice stay and I would go back.

Reviewed October 7, 2010

Stayed at the Fort William Henry Resort during Winter Carnival time, Feb 2010. The hotel is very nice. Fantastic view and excellent location. The room was very nice and comfortable. I would highly reccommend this hotel is Lake George and will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2010

Our room was a king with a seperate dining area so it was large. Being on a higher floor in the main building we had a great view of Lake George. The hotel is very convenient for walking to the local attractions and downtown Lake George. Some areas of the hotel appear to not be as up to date as the main building. We really liked the location.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple