“Web Site Wrong”

Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #16 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Reviewed December 25, 2008

This is a non smoking hotel.No where on the website site does it list this.After booking room I printed the confirmation and it specifically said king bed and smoking.What a surprise to find out after checking in this was not the case.The front staff didn't seem to care that the confirmation sheet had their letterhead on it and it clearly said smoking.There are rooms available that on on ground level but that wasn't offered to us.Oh well pays to check ahead of time.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,056)

Reviewed September 4, 2008

We had a wonderful time at the Fort William Henry. It was a great location within walking distance to everything in the village. A beautiful view of the lake. Enormous outdoor pool. An indoor pool and hot tub. Very large, clean rooms. Front desk was very helpful in recommending restaurants.

If everyone is complaining, it is probably because they booked one of the "motel" style rooms in the older section of the hotel. We booked a Deluxe King Room in the new 5-story building. The room was huge, it had a king size bed and double size pull-out sofa, and it was very clean and lovely. Very spacious for a family of 4. But, we paid close to $200 a night because I wanted a high quality, large room. Of course if you book one of the rooms in one of the two-story "motel" wings, they are half the price and you are going to get an older, lesser quality room. You get what you pay for.

Yes, the indoor pool and hot tub were old and in need of updating. But the kids absolutely loved them both.

Would definately stay here again.

Reviewed August 29, 2008

my sister and i planned this week getaway for along time ,this was the first time we had did this in years and we both were looking forward to it.well ended up the only person at the hotel who was at all friendly and helpful was jennifer.the staff in the white lion restaurant was rude. we were told we woud have breakfast for two in the whiteloin and have buffet.instead got alacart in area near the bar and was told they would give use free bacon if we would stop complaining. was told we were put there because there was a convention in town .check in was terrible. had to wait till
well after 4pm.had coffee put in room but no cups tp put it in . onlt thin plastic water cup.plus coffee tasted nasty,
down stairs out out on patio no complementary beverages
or snacks/danish.coffee $2 and tasted terrible.limited of types of alcholol beverages avilable at out side bar.the pool was nice but not beverage station close to there.the lookout cafe staff was rude and not helful also.what should have been nice stay turn out bad. we had to go eat esle where after we left on monday . i was no upset could not eat there

Reviewed August 25, 2008

:Please take my advise and do NOT stay at the Ft William Henry
The view is wonderful, However thats about it. When I was there there was a convention going on and I soon discovered if you were not with the convention you were considered lower class.
Very dissapointed, in my stay. It was a little pricey, but I knew that but I expect to get what I pay for. The staff in the Lions Den restraunt was dispictable. The Head lady was rude, obnoxious my expierence was terrible. I only hope for someone who gets married there is treated alot better than I was.

Please take my advise and check into other places to stay, rather than riuning you vaca at the FT William Henry.

Unhappy Vacationer

Reviewed August 25, 2008

My husband and I Just returned from a week long visit with our young children. In all honestly, I find the only benefit of this property to be it's location and by way of it's location, the beautiful view.

We stayed at the property several years ago, off season and without the children, in a suite in the main building . It was clean but certainly nothing impressive. We chose the property again this time for the children's first visit to LG for those reasons however we chose a Lakeview room which is not located in the main buiding. I simply refused to pay the outrageous rates charged in season. If we had visitedI several other properties on our last visit i.e. Antigua on Plum Island or Canoe Island Resort, I would have selected one of those but I preferred not to book any property sight unseen.

FIRST, let's address the room: The management should be a bit more direct when identifying room types on the website. The original building is a MOTEL, pure and simple. There were areas of the room that were quite dirty. The bed literally caused me great back pain every night, starting with night one. The pillows were the worst I have evern slept on. They should invest a bit of money and purchase new ones for the rooms in this building.

We returned from a day of fun at Water Slide World at 3:45 to find the room had not yet been attended to by housekeeping staff. Eager to shower and move on with late afternoon/evening plans, we were shocked when a housekeeper in the hallway informed us she still had six rooms to clean (including ours) and had no fresh towels to place in them. I wasn't sure if I was more upset at the news or at the lack of professionalism in her confiding this news to me!

The good news...if you have young children with you, the Lakeview rooms in this building have outside access onto the grassy area overlooking the lake. Once you have returned to your room at the end of the evening, it is nice to sit out to enjoy the view of the lake and the moon glowing upon it. The children can run and play on the grass.

IN ADDITION, I had several complaints which staff at the front desk did not show ANY interest in hearing or responding to:

FRONT DESK: Starting with check in, there was little if no greeting nor information typically verbally provided to acquaint oneself with the resort. I had to seek everything out during my stay. This is not good service.

LACK OF TOWELS is absolutely unacceptable. When I addressed this at the front desk the young lady nicely pointed the "blame" at hotel guests who take the towels back to rooms, to vanish. NONSENSE. Even if this is the case, find a solution. PURCHASE MORE TOWELS. When paying overly high rates such as we did at this property, I at least expect fresh towels daily in my room and towels at the pools. Day after day we and other hotel guests conversed about the total lack of towels at either pool.

SHORTAGE OF STAFF is evident everywhere, from the front desk to the restaurant to housekeeping. It is high season. WHY ARE THEY NOT STAFFED appropriately?

OVERLOOK CAFE we waited 35 minutes for a few sandwiches (4) for lunch when they were only half full. Only after we searched for the server to inquire where the lunch was, did she serve it....two were ice cold. We returned them and they came back barely heated. She deducted the charge from the bill however the main point was we wished to have the meal served properly.

I will be addressing all my complaints directly to the corporate offices of Best Western, who owns this location. I will NOT refer anyone to this property. We are looking forward to a return visit to Lake George in the next year or two. It has become a destination my family greatly enjoys. Where will I stay? Antigua resort on Plum Island, Canoe Island Resort or Cresthaven Lodges. At least at any of these properties, I have confidence that my family will have a wonderful experience and expectations will be met. If that means paying more, that is fine. I don't think the staff at Fort W. Henry Resort know what good service means, on any level, at any price.

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank CEMENY
Reviewed August 21, 2008

This hotel has a Great Location, But that is where Great Stops!! The room was filthy, I would Never Stay there again, Nor would I recommend anyone staying there. We were terribly shocked when we got to our room. Because it was a holiday weekend and everywhere was booked, we did stay. Very Disappointed, Not a cheap Hotel, Yet, it was not updated or clean. Save Your Money and Look Elsewhere!!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank ashford7
Reviewed August 19, 2008

I had booked a lakeview suite with a fireplace. The room wasn't ready at checkin time (was more than an hour late and I had arrived early). The room didn't look anywhere as nice as their pictures are. It didn't live up to a resort with it's prices. The bed was like a motel 6 with old ripped sheets and old worn towels. There were supposed to be towels at the pool, but were none. I requested some and waited 2 hours and still no towels! Their website menus are very out of date-the current menu isn't as good. The breakfast buffet was cold. I requested a remote for the TV (it was missing after the maid was in the room) and after 2 hours it still hadn't appeared! It was one bad experience after another.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business