“Outstanding view of Lake George”

Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #19 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed in a lakeview room in the main hotel which had the most fantastic view looking up the lake. Very quiet, spacious, clean room. Walk into the village or take a nice boat ride, all within a minutes time. Very convenient location. Fellow guests who were staying in an adjoining older section of the hotel were somewhat dissapointed with their rooms, older/dated. Did not eat at the hotel, too many choices among the many eateries in the village.

• Stayed: June 2011
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2011

Dear Pruynhill,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We hope next time you get the opportunity to try our restaurants.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We have been going with another family to the Lake George region for the last ten years but they have always stayed in different places. This year they stayed at FWH and are sold on it! From the location, hospitality and # 1 Adirondack breakfast this is the place that keeps everyone happy. If you're looking for "best bang for your buck" put this hotel on the top of your list.

Room Tip: Check their website for the current specials.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Dear walleyworld3,

Thank you for commenting on our hotel and letting other travelers know of our outstanding view. We appreciate your compliments and kind words..

Our food service director, Anthony Teta and his staff have put together award winning menus and top notch service once again. Breakfast in our White Lion room is one of the Lake George region’s favorite spots to begin your day.

Again, thank you for this useful feedback! It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267.

Reviewed September 5, 2011

If you're are planning to visit Lake George, NY, the Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center is a great location for two reasons. One, it is very conveniently located between Canada Street and Beach Road, right next door to Fort William Henry, steps away from a horse-drawn carriage ridge, a few minutes walk from two different boat tour companies and a parasailing company, as well as many shops and restaurants. Plus, it is within easy driving distance of such activities as horseback riding and rodeos as well as an art museum. The second reason is that it is located directly across the street from Lake George. Although mine didn't, some rooms have lake views. But even if you don't have a lake view room, you can enjoy the beautiful lake and Adirondacks Mountain views while lounging at the pool, sitting on wicker chairs outside the lobby, eating breakfast on the porch at the White Lion restaurant or just strolling the grounds.
The rooms are divided into three types: motel, hotel and suites. To quote my e-mail confirmation, I had a "premium mountain view guest room." Technically, you could see the mountain, but I had a better view of the parking lot (see photo).
My room was of ample size and had, as I believe all rooms in the hotel section have, two double beds. There was an end table between the two beds with a clock radio and phone and reading lamps mounted on the wall over the bed. Opposite the bed was a table with two chairs and a pole lamp and a four-drawer bureau with a television on it and a mirror on the wall.
When you enter the room, the bathroom is on the left. It was a decent size with a counter that runs from wall to wall with ample space to put all your stuff, and mirror above it. Next to the bathroom was a closet area--a rod with some hangers and an ironing board and iron. On the floor was a safe that was locked on arrival. Two calls on two separate days were required to get someone to come and unlock it.
My only complaint about the room was the air conditioning. It was very noisy and didn't seem to run consistently.
Breakfast was not included with the room. Although there are places to have breakfast within a short walking distance, I chose to have breakfast at the White Lion on the main floor of the hotel. It's a large room filled with round tables that seat six or eight people. The first morning there, the staff seemed somewhat flustered and confused, even though it was two hours into the breakfast serving time (seven to 10). It took a long time for someone to take the order and a long time to ask about a coffee refill. However, on the remaining days the service was better. The first few days I had breakfast inside but on the remaining days I ate on the porch outside the dining room. You can see the lake and watch people parasailing as you eat. There is a breakfast buffet on Sunday, but I did not try it.
The resort has an indoor and outdoor pool. The outdoor pool overlooks the lake and is surrounded by a beautiful mountain view. There are lounge chairs and a few tables with umbrellas. I went out to the pool a few days after breakfast and it was pleasantly uncrowded.
A few steps down from the pool is the Lookout Cafe, where I had lunch upon my arrival at the hotel. Open on three sides, it also offers great views of the lake.
The shops and restaurants in Lake George stay open fairly late and the town was pretty crowded the nights I was there. You can stroll and shop and buy ice cream from the numerous ice cream vendors until late in the evening. Although many of the shops sell touristy souveigners, I surprisingly found a few nice jewelry stores.
There are a variety of things to do in the area. To visit Fort William Henry you literally just across the lawn from the resort. Tours are available during the day and at night there is a ghost tour. Right down the steps from the Lookout Cafe you can take a horse-drawn carriage ride for $9 per person (day and night). Every Thursday night in summer there is a fireworks display, which I saw from a Shoreline Cruises dinner cruise. I highly recommend taking a drive up Mt. Prospect, the entrance to which is just minutes from the Fort William Henry Resort. You pay a $10 entrance fee and then drive up the mountain, where you can stop at three different viewing areas. When you get to the top viewing area you can park your car and walk the rest of the way up or you can take one of the vans that run every few minutes. The view of Lake George and the surrounding area is spectacular from every stop. According to its Web site, you can see for 100 miles, including the Green Mountains of Vermont.
Also very nearby is the Tiki, a hotel that offers a Polynesian dinner show. I'd pass on this. The show and dinner were okay but not worth the money, especially when the impression is given that drinks are included.
One day it rained, so we took a ride to Glens Falls to see the Hyde Collection. A relatively small museum, it contains the works of some very notable artists, including Childe Hassam, Rembrandt, Picasso, Winslow Homer, Van Gogh, Thomas Eakins, Albert Bierstadt and Degas, among others. And if you've ever been to the Isabella Steward Gardner Museum in Boston, you will note the similar courtyard in the Hyde. About 10 miles from the Fort William Henry Resort, it's worth the trip.
While several companies offering lake cruises are within several minutes walking distance of the resort, you can also take a 12-mile ride to the Sagamore Hotel in Bolton Landing, which sits right on the lake, to take a 1.5-hour sail on the Morgan. Tickets are $20 per person and you can sit downstairs in the enclosed air-conditioned section or upstairs on the open deck. Food (hot dogs, pizza, mac and cheese), snacks and drinks are available. What's nice about this sail is it takes you up close to the islands in Lake George. Boltons Landing is a cute, small town with shops and restaurants that you can explore before or after the sail.
Overall, I enjoyed my stay at the Fort William Henry Resort and would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear LFAN,
Let me start by thanking you for that in depth review of our hotel. Your feedback is very much appreciated. .

Our hotel is unique. We have three different types of accommodations, each with their own location, ambience, and amenities. We have taken great strides to differentiate them. By the way, we repaired the air conditioning unit. It was a noisy fan.

Thank you for informing other travelers on how close we are to the area’s attractions and amenities. As you stated we are just a short walk to most of them.

It was a pleasure having you as our guest. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267. Again, thank you for this useful feedback!

Reviewed August 30, 2011

We had visited this hotel some years ago and remembered the great pool , spectacular view, and walkability. So when planning an "adventure" with our grandkids we thought of Fort William Henry, We spent two weekends here and enjoyed both. First weekend was a Standard room in an older building; the second weekend was in the new Grand building. Both rooms were well cleaned and fully stocked. On both visits we had questions on operating the AC/Fan, and maintenance was prompt and very, very pleasant. This hotel has a 4pm check-in, so if you are traveling with children plan an activity for the afternoon. You can use the pool while waiting for your room, but trotting drippy kids through the lobby to dry/change them can be a challange! Get a lake view room as the view is wonderful, fireworks are great on Thurs pm, and waking to the sunrise over the lake can't be beat.
The permanent staff here are professional and pleasant. The seasonal staff can sometimes struggle with appropriate customer service skills. Management could undertake some training efforts here. We will undoubtably make Fort William Henry an annual "adventure"!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2011

Dear L G ,

Thank you for honestly providing feedback about our hotel. Your comments are very important to other travelers.

Our outdoor pool is the largest in the Lake George region. It is one of our top amenities. Thank you for mentioning it in your review and letting others know about it. We promise to continue to train our staff on the highest level of customer service.

It was our pleasure having you as our guest. We hope to see you again next time you are in the Lake George region. If we can be of assistance in the future, don't hesitate to contact us at 1800-234-0267.

Reviewed August 27, 2011

I left a very expensive piece of luggage in my room upon checkout, when i returned to retrieve it, it was gone, the staff was aloof, i called several times after wards and it never showed up again! be careful with your personal belonging here!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank gary b
SamLuciano, General Manager at Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2011

Dear Gary B,

Thank you reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor.

As you know, our staff has looked in every corner of our hotel to locate this piece of luggage. We are sorry it has been misplace or stolen. In the numerous calls you had with us, you informed us that you left this piece of luggage unattended, in front of the hotel, while you were going to your car. We were unaware that you left it in your guest room. Although we did search your guest room thoroughly, we would have concentrated more of our efforts in that area, rather than questioning other guests and review surveillance cameras.

We will continue our efforts however as we know it is very important to you..

Reviewed August 27, 2011

Having made reservations loooong in advance we arrived at the FWH with our 10 and 7-year old grandsonson a Wednesday afternoon. We had reserved an 'L-Shaped Suite' that would provide -- beside the comforts of a suite, separate sleeping quarters for the kids. We were assigned to Room 149, right on the main floor, a few steps from the lobby and front desk.

We began to unpack. I looked for a closet to hang a few things; no closet. I went to the front desk and said' I can't find a closet". Every room has a closet was the reply. Can you come and show it to me I asked. The front desk clerk came and he pointed out an alcove with a bar with a few hangers something like 4-feet off the floor -- presumably wheelchair accessible -- but not high enough to hang a coat or dress. And, smack dab in the middle of this alcove was the safe, taking up most of the alcove's floor space and rising perhaps 2' off the ground, so that there was only a 2-foot space between the hanger bar and the safe. There was room for a bathing suit or a pair of shorts, nothing longer.

I asked for another room. "No other rooms are available". I asked to speak to the Manager. "He's not here." I asked to speak to the Assistant Manager. "There's no management person here." I said, please tell the Manager that I write detailed TripAdvisor reviews. That didn't make any difference.

We were told that the Manager would be there the following morning at 10:00 a.m. I said, "Please tell him I want to talk to him".

We finished unpacking and, in one dresser drawer, I found a dirty sock. I put it aside to give to the Manager the next morning.

By the way, if you stay at the FWH, be sure you don't get a ground floor room. Outside our room was the parking lot and if one wanted any privacy the room-darkening curtains had to be completely closed in addition to the glass curtains.

We ate dinner and went to sleep.

The next morning we went to see the Manager. He was aware of our 'problem' the night before. I laid the dirty sock on his desk and explained that I'd found it in the dresser drawer -- but that wasn't why we wanted to see him. I let him read my of what had transpired the previous evening in the detailed notes I'd written on my BlackBerry.

Eventually he found us two adjoining rooms on the third floor that served as a suite. Those rooms weren't ready yet -- and we had sightseeing to do -- so I suggested that we take one of the self-service luggage carts in the lobby, pack our things and place all our luggage on the cart and roll it to the new, as yet unmade, room and leave it all there until we returned from visiting Fort William Henry (which is conveniently adjacent to the hotel). That would permit the FWH to get our old room ready for another guest. That's what we did.

The new rooms were much nicer, but -- as I subsequently told the Manager -- the clock radio had been left unplugged, so I had to figure out how to set the clock myself.

Our two nights in the new rooms were much nicer than the first night, but even then the maid service left something to be desired. There's a coffee maker in each room. The first morning in our new room I made a cup of coffee for my wife. The next morning I went to do the same; I found the coffee and amenities (sweetener/stirrer/creamer) replaced, but the previous day's coffee cartridge was still in the coffee maker.

There's a restaurant in the FWH where we had breakfast each morning. Besides the usual menu there's a buffet. The first morning I opted for the Biscuits With Sausage Gravy, which I love. It was terrible. The boys enjoyed their pancakes.and the biscuits for the Sausage Gravy -- but by themselves. Our waitress -- Donna -- was a gem. She has a gravelly voice, but if friendly, attentive, has a sense of humor, and made the breakfast a pleasant experience -- despite the shortcomings with the Biscuits and Sausage Gravy. We asked for her table each of the next two mornings.

The next two mornings we had the buffet again. One day there was French Toast that the boys liked, and, frankly, I forget the next day's equivalent -- but the boys like whatever it was. The buffet is inconsistent. On two of the three mornings there were yogurt and pastries; on the last morning there were neither. There was NEVER any bread, rolls or toast; I found this surprising and lacking. (Oh, by the way, the Manager is aware of EVERYTHING I've said about the FWH both above and below).

The FWH's location is great for the Town of Lake George. It's adjacent to the Fort, is right on the main drag -- so if you want to visit the schlocky souvenir shops, it's just a short walk -- not that there's much worthwhile buying.

We had dinner on night in the on site (but separate building) steakhouse and I had a huge king-cut prime rib that was worth every penny. The other dishes we ate were also good.

Room Tip: Don't get a Handicapped Room unless you must. Don't get a ground floor room. If there's...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Maven-at-large
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Our only real moan is that we arrived at 8pm and there was nowhere in the hotel to get food - the bar didn't even seem to be open. But the hotel is so close to the village that we were able to get a snack quite easily (although it would have been nice to stay in the hotel as it was raining heavily).
Gripe out of the way, the hotel itself was comfortable and everything we needed. We stayed in a Premium East room, which was spacious, comfortable and clean.
All the staff we encountered were polite and friendly, but Carmen, the receptionist, was very pleasant and helpful.
We did not use the restaurant for breakfast as the village is so close and there is plenty of choice.
The best thing about the hotel is the setting - we had a great view of the lake, and there's always something to do.
We were there for the fireworks and ensured we were back early, so had no parking problems.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple