“Upgraded room was not that bad.”

Best Western of Lake George
Ranked #15 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Reviewed June 29, 2004

We had an "upgraded" more expensive room because we did not book way in advance. From previous reviews, I expected somthing terrible; but the upgraded room was OK. But there was a window problem; only one opened & that one did not have a screen. The soundproofing also seemed almost non-existant. One also had to be very careful with the water in the shower; the slightest move in adjusting the water would change the temperature dramatically where one could get scalded or very cold. The Hotel location was very good, right off the exit from the Northway.

1  Thank whatdayasay

Reviewed February 16, 2004

Stayed here for a weekend in Feb which we have done a few times over the years and the place has deteriorated each time. At first we thought it was just due to the increased number of snowmobilers. This trip however, it reached the pits and will be our last. Forget about sleeping. Paper thin walls (we actually could hear someone crumpling a piece of paper next door),kids using the hallways for track meets, snowmobilers roaming door to door getting "lubed up" for the next ride, and finally the roar of those mighty engines at the crack of dawn outside your window make sleep impossible here. Get a parking place early too. Half of them are taken up by sleds and trailers and most of the rest by the giant, he-man pickups towing them. And then there were the dogs! $110 a night to be woken up in in the middle of the night by barking dogs. There were at least 4 staying in our vicinity. They did add color to the snow banks along side each entrance where their owners took them to relieve themselves. I'm surprised they took them outside... My wife was caught in the middle of a dog fight Sun morning in the lobby while trying to fight her way to the coffee!! All in all, better to pitch a tent in the nearby woods than ever stay here again.

6  Thank Dotsman
Management response:Responded February 28, 2004

The Best Western of Lake George, as well as all Best Westerns, go through rigorous inspections about every six months. These inspections are done by numerous travel related companies. These include AAA, Mobil, County and State inspectors, and Best Western International. This Best Western property has continuously scored very high in all areas on every inspection. The Best Western of Lake George has received 3 gold award certificates for housekeeping, in each of the last 3 inspections. This award is for cleanliness that exceeds the guest expectations, brand standards and national levels.When operating any physical plant, - equipment failures and building issues will arise. We judge our management team on how fast, and how well they handle these issues. They always recieve exemplary grades.We apologize to this guest for having a less than satisfactory stay. Had we've been aware of the problems, we would have corrected them.

Rhode Island
Reviewed January 3, 2004

This place was the worst. Very dirty, smelly, run down, in total disrepair. All in all, avoid this place like the plauge. I sent a letter to BW upon returning home. They responded quickly and informed me that I would receive a letter from the lake george BW, I never did. I then received a check and an apology from BW international (I did not ask for any money, I just wanted them to know how bad this place was). I did find a really good place, cheaper, down the street. I highly recommend it (Lynn Aire).

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chestnut Ridge, Rockland County, NY
Reviewed August 26, 2003

Our first time in Lake George and we had to pick the worst hotel. The entire place is old and dirty. The rooms are small the bathroom is small the carpets are dirty the whole place smells. Not what you see on their website. I had reserved a non-smoking room and was place in a smoking room that was so bad I got sick and had to be taken to the hospital. We arrived at about 2:30 and check out at 10:00. I did complain about the smell in the room @ about 6:00 and was told that while I was out to dinner they would install an air cleaning machine and it would be good by the time I got back. Not so it only made it worst and I had to be taken to the hospital because I could breath and to make matters worst the toilet overflowed and when they send someone to fix it he used a plunger and the mess was never cleaned up I had to use towels to soak up the water that was all over the tiny bathroom floor. What a dump, my advise read reviews from different site before choosing a hotel.. Lake George is beautiful just beware about where you are staying.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chateaugay NY
Reviewed June 7, 2003

The room was very small to begin with, and the bathroom was too tiny to move around in. It was a lot older building than the website shows, and that was probably the cause of the horribly squeeky ceilings (we were on the first floor). As the all night party went on upstairs, I could deal with the boom-boom-boom of the sterio, but the constantly squeeking floors kept all four of us up all night. We really were not happy with our stay.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
keene, nh
Reviewed May 21, 2003

we thought your readers should be aware of the present situation at the best western and its sister hotel downtown, the Fort William Henry.The two are apparently owned by the same group of owners. The best western was recommended to us by the Girls Basketball AAU organizers for a tournament up in that area last weekend.A parent called Best Western and had a room reserved. was then talked into taking a room at the "more expensive" Fort william henry hotel on the water for the same price. They did not say that the William henry was under construction / renovations. Several of the rest of us out of towners also reserved rooms at this hotelafter a long day of travel and a busy day of basketball, we got to the hotel at 8:00 or so to find a mess of a construction site, rooms on one side of site, check in and pool on the other, desbris, dirt drives through construction and twisting pathways to drive on to get over to the rooms.2 or 3 large tanker trucks with noisy pump motors were running at 8:30 at night just outside the rooms and the trucks were blocking the parking spots.one room was so unclean that our folks changed rooms.Next morning, very little water at 6:00 team wakeup. By 6:15 to 6:30 not enought water to shower or to fill toilets. Calls to main desk said repair staff would not be in until 7:30. our first game at a remote site was at 8:00 ! final trickles of water available were so hot that scalding could have occured. tempering that hot water with ice was the only way to get wash water at all.several of us called the main desk - one went to speak for us all while the others stayed with the team and got them ready for second day of playattempts to have charges refunded have been tough. trying to be polite, again one parent has been the spokesman. their room has been changed to no charge. the manager said "no one else has called to complain".I then called and spoke with staff at each hotel - neither could offer any assistance - referring us to managers who were not there. finaers / owners.I left a very clear message about the situation, our feelings about the construction situation, the switching hotel scheme, the no water AND the lack of response . left my home phone number on Monday Night . It is now Thursday AM and no call back yet.most un-acceptable situation.not an acceptable hotel at all.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 23, 2002

Beware of the pictures in the brochure (a good general rule!) We thought this would be a rustic Mountain Lodge from the tiny pics we saw--it turned out to be an average, older hotel right next to the highway off ramp. Their website touts its high standard within the BestWestern chain--don't think so!

It's ok, nothing special. The exterior is a rather ugly dark brown, the rooms are ok if a bit dated. Older TV with a four dollar bottle of Aquafina water displayed next to it. We stayed on the second (top) floor which gave us a cathedral ceiling, a nice improvement over what the first floor looks like.

Subpar continental breakfast; beige cereals and plain doughnuts. No place to eat except on the one couch and a couple of chairs. Nice exterior pool. Interior pool on the small, shallow side.

Just a mile or so to downtown Lake George.

We're big fans of hotels that are new or recently renovated--this one wouldn't make the cut. Just average. I think my parents would stay here.

And it was a bit pricey for this level, around $140. The Howard Johnson Tiki hotel looked nice when we passed by it.

We went in the middle of August, 2002.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member