“Just OK”

Ranked #16 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Just OK”
Reviewed July 27, 2008

We stayed two nights at the Best Western. The location was convenient for what we were looking for. The check-in was fine. The room, dingy and it could have been cleaner. Noisy place, you hear everything is the hallways. The wireless did not work for the two nights we were there. I asked multiple times about the wireless (this was an important factor for staying at this location) and was never told the same thing. It was either my firewall problem, or it was currently down but they were working on it, should be up in one hour, then two hours. Needless to say, it never came up and come to find out everything was down. However, when I asked for a partial refund, they gave $50 back (though I would rather of had the wireless). The choice at breakfast was fine, just try to get there before it gets busy. Overall, the motel was ok, not horrible but nothing special. The staff was average. I would stay there again if I could not find anything else.

• Liked — bed comfort pretty good, location.
  • Disliked — bathroom small, noisy hallways, wireless problems.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Den N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
NJ
Reviewed July 23, 2008

I don't understand all these terrible reviews. The Best Western of Lake George met all of our expectations for a reasonably priced hotel of this caliber. We arrived 2 hours early, and our room was ready. The staff was extremely friendly and very helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. We took advange of the outdoor pool, which was also immaculate. Another nice feature is that all guests are allowed access to their "parent" property, the Fort William Henry Hotel and Resort, right down the sreet, which has a beautiful pool with a bar area. The continental breakfast was exactly as described, with plenty of options. Lake George is an extremely tacky, honkey-tonk resort town with overpriced cheezy hotels and efficiencies, most of which require a 2 or 3-night minimum stay in the summer. Do yourself a favor: if you must go there, skip these hotels/motels in the strip and stay in the Best Western instead. The price is much more reasonable than these other places, and unlike the others, the Best Western does not require a 2 or 3 night minimum. Then leave asap and head over the border to Vermont, a much more beautiful vacation spot in this region!

• Liked — Excellent Value, Clean
  • Disliked — Got a little crowded at breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Simsbury, Connecticut
Reviewed July 9, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a Saturday night on July 4th weekend. I had mistakenly told my boyfriend to book here instead of what I thought was the Best Western down the way, which is now the Fort William Henry Hotel and Conference Center. I saw the picture on the reservation and said, "oh this wasn't the place I was thinking of". BUT, the price couldn't be beat.

The hotel was better than I had actually expected. The room was in the main hotel building in a "deluxe" room. The room was decorated very nicely and was clean. Window faced out to the parking lot and cars, but we weren't there for the view. The only complaint I have was that this establishement still uses the old poly-blend comforters and not the newer duvet covers. I have issues with using the comforter after watching way to many "hotel investigation" reports. No matter though, as the room was very warm, even with the air conditioning on, and never needed to use even the blanket or sheets on the bed. Just my pj's and I was fine.

If you go to stay here, bring a pair of earplugs as the doors don't shut easily, and you really have to bang and slam them to do so. We were awoken a couple times in the middle of the night with the doors slamming somewhere down the hall. Also, the walls were thin and you could hear noise from the room next door. So, the earplugs helped with that.

Overall, I would probably stay here again if there was no where else to stay. It wasn't bad for the hotel class of this hotel. I would maybe prefer to stay in on of the "mom and pop" motels on the way out of town on Rt. 9N heading toward Bolton Landing next time. There were a bunch that looked super cute. Also, the Super 8 looked nice and clean. Gotta love Lake George in the summer. Visit Capri Pizza - the best around!

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The bedding
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cancercaregiver
Massachusetts
Reviewed June 30, 2008

After reading the reviews on this site, I had a knot in my stomach the whole ride to Lake George. After checking in, and getting upgraded (for free) to a luxury suite...the knot started going away! We had a 2 story suite...my daughter and her friend had their own bed, tv, and 1/2 bath upstairs. We had a king bed....sitting area...and a kitchen area. Our fridge got cold...just FYI.
People complained about bugs...the only one I saw was a fly that I let in.
Housekeeping was so nice...and polite. They turned my daughter's necklace in as soon as we left!! Front desk was nothing but helpful and polite!
Does the hotel need some upgrades, SURE...but it wasn't the pathetic shack I was expecting!
Reading the reviews, I was expecting to get ripped off, find bugs everywhere, have a 9 inche TV, and get told off by the front desk. Not to mention all the strangers trying to get into my room (according to others) and starving to death in the AM.
What I found was a nice, moderately priced hotel! They had a small continental breakfast (if I want bacon, I will go out...until then a bagel and apple works fine). We went at low times, and at high times...never any shortage of food!
No fear of crime! We had employess all over the place!
At one point, my husband and I had the girls at the outdoor pool...he went back to the room to get some drinks...an employee saw him leave, and saw the girls in the pool...but didn't see me. He went running to the pool to check things out. He didn't go after my husband...his main concern was that the girls were safe.
I would book a room here again no doubt!

Stayed June 2008
New york
Reviewed June 16, 2008

I will never stay at Best Western again.
Housekeeping stole our cell phone. The fridge never got cold. security was non existent. We never felf safe.
Front desk was cold.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — lack of seurity
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank momwithtoddler
Medford, NY
Reviewed June 5, 2008

The Best Western of Lake George looks brand new! A new lobby, new rooms, new lawn games, new covered entrance way and best of all a new breakfast room with a wonderful breakfast!
The staff has always been great. They could not be more helpful or pleasant. Now they have a hotel as great as they are!
We thought it was great before; but now it's our place when we vacation in Lake George forever!

• Liked — The new breakfast room and menu
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything negative to say!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Spring Hill, FL
Reviewed September 19, 2007

First of all, the exterior didn't look appealing. The room smelled and I don't believe the carpeting had ever been cleaned. The bathroom was very small and while taking a shower we were either frozen or fried. We won't be returning guests.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple