“Wonderful setting”

The Inn at Erlowest Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Inn at Erlowest Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 164 Restaurants in Lake George
Cuisines: American, French, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Locally inspired farm to table cuisine located in a 19th century Queen Ann mansion on the shores of Lake George NY. Enjoy fine dining and eloquent lodging in 10 unique suites that match the style of the Inn.
Niskayuna, New York
“Wonderful setting”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Bottom line: wonderful hostess, beautiful setting, a very "light" buffet for the money. Full review below.

We took Mom here for brunch on Mother's Day. We had first done this a few years ago, and thought that this year would be like that....brunch in the event room adjoining the inn. This time, though, brunch was in the regular dining rooms in the inn. We were greeted by the hostess, Jo Ann, who immediately made us feel at home and welcome. Her exuded hospitality without losing a sense of professionalism - a very rare ability these days, I've found. By contrast, most of the rest of the staff seemed quite young and inexperienced, so it was nice to know there was a veteran like Jo Ann at the helm.

While before the buffet had consisted of an almost overwhelming number of items, this year the selection was just a fraction - very limited. We were surprised, and not in a good way. The quality of the food was good. I had green salad, quinoa salad, tomato and mozzarella, followed by salmon with a side of green beans, mashed potatoes, and carrots. There were several containers of salad dressing on the buffet but they were not labeled and as I couldn't tell what they were by looking at them, I combined my green salad with the tomato and mozzarella. The salmon was very good, but for some reason they were serving whole carrots (although slender they were about 6 inches long) and very long green beans that seemed out of scale with the salmon and even with the size of the plates. The mashed potatoes were excellent but their presentation could have been improved. They were in a large metal bowl-like container, kept warm, but it looked as though someone had sort of smoothed over the top with the back of a spoon, and as a result they looked rather leaden, although they were in fact excellent. Others in our party had the leg of lamb, which looked very good and got good reviews. I had one of the crab cakes, which to me was not very flavorful. The desserts were on small tables in each of the dining rooms and there were different items on each table, so you needed to visit both in order to make a good selection. Again, the selection was extremely limited compared to what we've experienced in the past. Pecan pie was on the menu but absent in reality. Perhaps earlier diners had eaten the first serving of the pie, but if so, it was never replenished.

A smallish dining room can work because once guests are seated they tend not to get up and move around until ready to depart. The inn's dining rooms are on the small side, and with the brunch being a buffet people are walking to and from their tables regularly. My seat was toward the center of the room and I definitely was aware of the traffic squeezing past me.

The staff was friendly and helpful but didn't quite seem to know how to clear tables at a buffet. Diners do not take their dirty plates back to the buffet for their next course. it's unsanitary for one thing. For the other, why would a restaurant expect their guests to handle their own dirty dishes this way? The staff was not timely in removing empty plates from the table, so at one point we had a stack of 4 or 5 dirty plates on the side of our table for way too long. A wine order got mixed up. Our water glasses were regularly replenished, which was good.

Considering the price of $55 per person and the limited selection of food, I was surprised that management had not realized what a nice gesture it would have been to have offered each "Mom" a complimentary Mimosa or Kir Royale, or just a glass of plain champagne. Not only would this have been nice, but I would expect that the remainder of the party would have ordered their own as well, making a tidy profit for the inn.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank John G

“Amazing!”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Took my mom for mothers day brunch and it was amazing! The food was five star! The staff at The Inn at Erlowest was nothing but top notch! I can't wait to tell everyone I know about how wonderful this restaurant is. Chef Steve out did himself. Can't wait to go back. A Special thank you to Joann who was nice enough to give us a tour of the rooms and the grounds. You have some wonderful people working there. Thank you to our waiter also, Jeremy. Thank you for making this Mothers Day my moms best.

• Visited May 2014
Forked River, New Jersey
“Best food on Lake George”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Imaginative cuisine, excellent wine list. You must try the cauliflower veloute, and the fosi gras was was wonderful. Outstanding food!

Visited November 2013
Queensbury, New York
“What a dinner!”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

The food was amazing, excellent atmosphere and the staff is extremely attentive. This is worth the drive and the cost. This was one of the best meals we have had in 10 years.

• Visited September 2013
“Lake George's little secret gem”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

OK, I hesitated to share this because I wanted to keep it all to myself, but if you are in the Lake George area, SKIP the Sagamore and eat HERE. The chef is very talented, and if you appreciate food the way my husband and I do, you will not be disappointed. I can't comment on the previous chef, but the reviews stating that the food is "ok" or " not great" are simply not true. Do not confuse creativity in presentation with excellent cooking. Reservations are a must, as they have about 10 tables. The atmosphere reminds me of our trip to England, quiet and sophisticated, and the service quick and very friendly. Our server was very knowledgable about the chef's specials. I had the sea bass, which was done to perfection seared and a little crisp on the edge, creamy in the center. My husband had the lamb duet, which looked delicious (pink in the center), and smelled wonderful, and he said was delicious. You will not get a lot of rice/pasta/potato fillers here, so come for the flavors, not the quantity, although, the portions are ample :).
If you come on a Friday or Saturday, there WILL be a wedding reception in progress, it's how they make money here, but once party heads in doors, you will barely be able to hear them, and you won't see them either. End your meal on the terrace, by the fire in the cooler months, watching the sunset.
You won't get away cheaply, so save this for special occasions, but it is worth saving.

• Visited July 2013