“Met the owners, what beautiful people and what a clean place. Thanks”
Review of Sundowner Motel

Sundowner Motel
Ranked #43 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Reviewed August 19, 2010

We met the owners and they helped us out of a jamb. what beautiful people and what a clean place. Thanks, you salvaged our vacation. Kevin and Noreen.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 21, 2009

My spouse and I stayed in the lakeview housekeeping cabin. The cabin was big enough to hold five people (the fifth person would stay on a sleeper couch in front of the TV). Furnished kitchen, great refrigerator, nice micro, has coffeepot (I never touch motel c'makers). It was pretty clean and the walls had that Adirondack look (knotty pine). Has AC and baseboard heating. Beds quite comfy. Parking very cramped. Loved the access to beach - provided a great sunrise. The only thing I would suggest that you bring a sheet to cover the couch or that the owners clean the thing - I detected a funny sort of unidentiable off-odor emanating from it - just don't set your plain duffs on it. View of lake is quite limited from this cabin and if you want a great view, ask for room #209 or one of the two lakefront rooms with sliding doors on the end. I gave highest rating for service because staff came down to personally help with a plumbing problem otherwise since it was the end of the season, the female clerk seemed tired and ready to go on vacation herself!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2009

We were very happy staying at the Sundowner for 2 nights on September 18th and 19th, for the 2009 Jazz Festival of Lake George.
The location of this hotel couldn't be better. It's on Canada Street, directly on the lake, with it's own small beach and free boat rental, and it's a pleasant walk into the Village, where all of the action is. (wax museums, arcades, golf, restaurants, little shops etc.) It's interesting to note that most of the motels are in a row like dominos. Though their prices all vary, from the outside they all tend to look similar. Prior to this trip, I had price checked for value, and The Sundowner had one of the lowest prices, it also had some of the best reviews. Bear in mind that these Lake George motels are country type motels, without porters, valet parking, room service and huge fancy lobbies. If that's what you are looking for, you'd better look further! If what you want is a decent sized clean room in a convenient but safe/quiet area, at an affordable price, you'll be happy here.
We had a ground floor room (which is actually up a very short flight of stairs) directly across from the pool, with a side view of the lake. We parked directly in front of our room! I paid $79.00 a night, and it was really worth the price. The room was surprisingly large, and it had 2 queen sized beds, a comfy chair, a couch, as well as a dining room table with 4 chairs. (great for playing boardgames and cards, besides just eating there) There was a 27" tv with cable.(important if traveling with teenagers!). There was a small fridge, but no coffee maker. There are plently of dresser drawers for clothes, as well as a decent sized closet. The beds were very comfortable, not too mushy, not too hard either. The sheets were soft, and we slept like babies! The room was very clean, and the lighting was good. (important to me, I don't like dimly lit motel rooms) There was plenty of space for me and my 2 teenagers.
I was pleasantly surprised with the size of the bathroom. It was clean, modernized, had a tub, and what appeared to be a brand new shiny tub enclosure, as well as double sinks and hairdryer. The water was hot as needed for the shower. The towels could have been better though. Soft larger towels would be a big improvement, considering the other nice amenities!
The outdoor pool and whirlpool are closed for the season, but there's an indoor whirlpool. Great tasting complimentary coffee in the office until 11am in the morning. I know that we will be coming back here again.
PS> I recommend Marios Restaurant, which is directly accross the street from this motel. It was cozy, prices were moderate, and the food was superb! This was dining, not eating.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank flanagan
Reviewed August 4, 2009

We stayed at the Sundowner for our family vacation at Lake George this July. We had 2 adjoining rooms. The rooms were very clean and well maintained, room service left plenty of towels (which I really appreciated), and the staff was fantastic. We had some problems with our boat (we rented a slip as well as the rooms) which was no fault of the hotel, and the management was very responsive to our needs and very gracious in helping us. The location was good. We will definitely stay there again next year.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2009

My husband and I have stayed at the Sundowner 3 years in a row..... We love the kitchen unit.... We stay there for a week at a time and can cook and have all the ammenities of home.... The people are awesome... very clean place and we will be there with in the next 2 weeks... cant wait.....

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2008

My family had a nice long weekend for the Balloon Festival, We stayed at the Sundowner, Nice Motel, Condition was good, considering what motels can be like. The walk to the Village was about 5 min's, not bad. We had a Double Queen Lakeside for $79 per night. Nice partial view of Lake. Saturday Fireworks were seen right from Sundowner Beach..No obstructions.

Pool and Outdoor Hot tub was closed for Season. Only thing the Motel lacked was a Play Ground for my kids...Most of the other Motels have at least a swing set, if not a full play ground.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed September 22, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Sundowner Motel this past weekend, room 122. The room was a good size, the bathroom was huge, but outdated. A new sink and countertop is needed. Everything was very clean. Two of the lights needed new bulbs, the management attended to that very quickly. The bed was extremely comfortable. The management was very nice. We recommend Mario's restaurant, which is right across the street for a delicious meal.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple