First, the positives: The room was dated, but big and clean, the beds were comfortable, there was a little fridge in the room, which was handy, and there were plenty of towels. The staff was friendly and helpful and seemed almost obsessive about keeping the pool and private beach area clean, there was a terrific view of the lake from our balcony, and this motel is in a GREAT location.
You'll read all about these things in the 5 star reviews. Those people are not making it up. But I am pretty sure that all of those people smoke. They don't smoke in their rooms, which are in fact non-smoking, but they smoke on the beach, at the pool, in the parking lot, and on the chairs right outside their rooms. They leave the butts floating in cups or bottles on the little tables outside the doors. All fine, I guess, if you smoke or for some bizarre reason, just really love the smell of cigarettes.
If you don't smoke, however, this is most definitely NOT the place for you. The only way to avoid second hand smoke at the Sundowner is to remain in your room with the door and windows closed. Needless to say, for us non-smokers hanging out on a beautiful lake on a hot summer day with our non-smoking kids, this was not optimal. Soooo....
Instead of sticking around enjoying the pool or the beach, we "ran the Marlboro gauntlet" (as my husband termed it) from our room to the road and we spent all our time elsewhere.
To sum up: If you smoke, or love smoke, or want to start smoking, or want to breathe smoke without having to actually buy cigarettes, this is the place for you.
If you don't, there is an absolutely lovely looking place that you can see from the balcony of the Sundowner on the beach end. It's called the Shore Meadows Lodge. We stopped by on our way out and I spoke to the owner, who told me that they do not allow smoking anywhere on the property. Next time we visit Lake George, we'll stay there.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Sundowner Motel is conveniently located in Lake George Village directly on the shores of beautiful Lake George. We are a short walk from shops, restaurants, and activities in the village. Enjoy our clean, comfortable motel rooms, wonderful views of the lake, surrounding mountains and the other amenities that we offer:-Outdoor Heated Pool-Outdoor Kiddie Pool-Outdoor Deck overlooking Lake George-Outdoor Whirlpool-Free use of kayaks and rowboat-Free Wi-Fi-Private, shallow sandy beach-Picnic Tables and charcoal grills near beach-Laundromat-Free AM Coffee-All of our units are now non-smoking! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz and Hotels.com so you can book your Sundowner Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sundowner Hotel Lake George
- Sundowner Motel Lake George