“Expensive and very noisy, but clean.”

Wingate by Wyndham Lake George
Ranked #10 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Arrived at 3:30 on a Thursday and they had a room ready for us. One of the keycards didn't work, but that was okay because we only really needed one. We were happy to see that the room was clean, but knew right away we made a mistake in taking the 2nd floor room over the 4th floor room we were offered. We could here EVERYTHING around us - above, below, next door, and the people at the pool.

On Friday morning I called the front desk to inquire about checking out early and was told that was not a possibility and that we would be charged for all three nights. I asked if it would be possible to just pay for the first 2 nights since the 3rd night was still more than 24 hours away but was told that we were locked in upon check-in. I have never experienced that at a hotel before and was pretty surprised/disappointed.

We walked to the village mostly - about a 15 minute walk. The website says there is a shuttle stop at the hotel but I never saw any of the trolleys pass it and never knew what hours or times it ran so walking seemed best. There is a nice path to the beach behind the hotel but it can only be walked in the daytime.

Overall, if you're looking for a more modern hotel near Lake George Village, the Wingate is fine, but not at $190/night. Try to find a discount and stay on the 4th floor so no one is above you and you're farther from the pool noise.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Wingate by Wyndham Lake George

Reviewed August 15, 2010

Overview: Most of the hotels on the lake in Lake George are the older motels. We were looking for something a bit more modern. I would say Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn and this hotel were the best newer hotel options. We would have preferred the first two, but they were sold out, so we went with Wingate. It wasn't my favorite, but I still would still go back here vs the many other sad looking motels in the area.

Location: While not on the lake, this hotel is conveniently located (less than a mile from the lake and the center of town). You could probably walk to town, but we drove. There was a Rite Aid right down the block, which was nice.

Rooms: We had a standard Queen room facing the pool. Beds were ok. I like them softer, but we slept well. Pillows were plush and comfortable. The room was clean and bathroom had the usual amenities. You definitely can hear everything going on in the adjacent rooms. The walls aren't thick. The family next door wasn't too loud, but it's not ideal. Free wifi in all rooms, which is great.

Breakfast: Included in the room rate. Hot and cold breakfast buffet is provided. It was good... eggs, cereal, pastries, french toast, yogurt, etc.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2010

First the positive the rooms are large and clean thats about all the positive I can think of. I arrived at 2 trying to check in early was told it would be 3 there were no clean rooms. I came back at 3 and still had to wait. Then the problem with the keys they kept losing their charge I had to get the key changed about 6 times during the stay. The beds are hard like sleeping on concrete I had a stiff neck and my hips hurt the next day. The worst thing though is the noise. Unless you like being woke up at 6 am by kids screaming and running down the hall dont stay here. Not only was the hotel over run by people with small kids these parents let their kids run around with no supervision. My kids are grown but when they were young I never let them behave like that. The upstairs people were noisy most of the night walking around not much sleep the second night there. Oh and the hot breakfast consists of powdered eggs and sausage the rest is boxed cereal and pasteries good luck getting any food with kids running in and out of line. It is not worth the 380 dollars I paid for 2 nights. When the manager asked how my stay was I told her briefly what I posted here. All she could say was yes we get a lot of kids here and Im sorry you didnt enjoy your stay. I told her I would never ever stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank Blondilocks1957
ManagementLG, Manager at Wingate by Wyndham Lake George, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2010

Dear Valued Guest,

Please know that we are very sorry to hear of your discomfort during your recent stay. Our hotel is staffed 24 hours a day so that there is someone here to assist our guests at all times. This time of year we have a considerable number of families staying with due to our location in a summer resort town. We of course do not excuse discourteous behavior from other guests for any reason and are disconcerted that you were unhappy during your stay.

It is our hope that you will provide us the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Again we apologize for the discomfort you experienced during your stay. In addition we are deeply sorry that some of our other guests caused you to have less than satisfactory experience. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can assist you at all in the future.

Darrah Stranahan
Front Desk Supervisor
518-668-4884
darrah@wingatelakegeorge.com

Reviewed July 21, 2010

We stayed for 3 nights here. Great pools! One indoor and one outdoor. Great if it should rain, you're all set! Excellent room, very clean, comfortable. Immaculate laundry room. Nice breakfast each morning. Right across the street from Water Slide World. Which is convenient if you have kids with you. Also very close to lots of other stuff, restaurants, mall is a short drive away, mini-golf, souvenir shops,etc. Really nice place to stay. Would definitely stay there again!

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Stayed here with my family which includes two young children. Great location, great staff, nice amenities and VERY CLEAN! Felt very comfortable with my two young children in the room and hotel in general. Hotel is kept in pristine condition. Free breakfast is very good, with a wide variety of items to choose from. Located within two minutes of downtown lake George, 1 block to pharmacy and gas station, and directly on the trolley route. If you are going to Lake George don't miss this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2010

MY review of the Wingate is split. At times I liked it, at times I hated it. So here goes.

I showed up at 1:40 to try to check in early. I was told that we were only guaranteed a 3PM check in. (Totally Understandable). The only problem is that when I went to check in at 4PM, they told me that they didn't have my room ready. Took 15 minutes to get a room.

I was traveling with my wife and two small children. I have about 5 bags to bring up. I asked for one of those luggage carts, and the women at the counter told me I had to look around the floors of the hotel for one. (Not a joke)

You hear a lot of noise in the rooms. For me, no big deal. I have two small kids. But if you are looking for some quiet, it's not the place to go.

The hotel is very clean, and newer compared to other hotels in the area. The bottom line is if you get a room for $60 bucks from priceline great, but I wouldn't pay the $150 a night they are asking for in June.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Deacon22
Reviewed May 26, 2010

Headed up to Lake George for my Birthday with my girlfriend so we decided to stay here at Wyndham by Win-gate. Our stay was fantastic!! What a lovely place to stay and very very reasonable rates. We payed $79.00 per night because they were running a special for their 3 year anniversary! When we checked in we were greeted warmly by the front desk staff. Beautiful large room, comfy beds and bedding, nice and quiet too, and we were told the hotel was almost full so I was shocked how quiet it was. They serve a complimentary breakfast in the morning which was delicious and everything was very very clean! Nice indoor and outdoor pool, business center, game room, and a fitness room. Very friendly staff and very accommodating for all of your needs. We also loved the location very short drive to the great Lake George Strip. So if you decide to stay in Lake George pick the Win-gate by Wyndham and you wont be sorry!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple