“Booked on a whim”

Ranked #12 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
Great Neck, New York
“Booked on a whim”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

A totally unplanned weekend getaway. Checked Trip Adviser on a Thursday night to see what was available and this hotel was 8th of 88. I always like Choice Hotels when possible. Just a few rooms left at a medium price. AAA sweetened the deal.

Very nice hotel. Well appointed. The rooms were comfortable. Its a no pet, totally non-smoking facility. We were on the third floor. Even with all the kids in the building, the room was very quiet. We did note that the bathroom shower is set up 'odd' The shower curtain is too short so water on floor, the hot water dial appears to be reversed, the safety handle and soap dish were at the wrong end of the tub and the floor of the shower was slippery. I filled out a maintenance card and one of the owner/managers said he would have a look. We knew it would not be fixed during our stay but at least they were aware of it.

We were here from Saturday through Monday. The prices drop substantially from Saturday night to Sunday night. Still, the average per night was under @$200. It rained heavily Sunday morning. The hotel was at capacity. By 9 am the breakfast nook was packed with adults and families and screaming kids. I have never seen a breakfast area that full before. Yet, the staff did a great job managing the chaos. There were at least three women assigned to the breakfast area and supplies were constantly being refilled, waffle batter replaced and tables wiped and washed. They used a sign in system that worked well except for a grouchy mom who gave the hostess a hard time. The hostess held her tongue and all worked out in the end. Nice selection of food, both hot and cold. Waffle machines, fried eggs, bacon, sausage, hard-boiled eggs, three types of cereal, assorted pastries, fruit and yogurt, No lemon for tea but I can accept that.

There is a small fitness area and all machines worked. They have TV access to help the time pass. Thee is a game room with lots of electronic machines and an indoor pool and whirlpool. Even a water slide. The hotel is a mile from Great Escape Amusement park and about three miles from downtown. Far enough away from each to avoid the traffic and craziness. Near lots of restaurants and mini-golf places and outlet stores.

Staff is super friendly and knowledgeable of area. The Stark brothers (Mike and George) are the owners and managers and at least one was on site at all times. Very personable, and spoke to me by name and recognized me the next day. We felt super at home here. Very rare in large modern hotels. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tatanka49
COMFORTSUITES284, General Manager at Comfort Suites Lake George, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Tatanka49,
Thankyou for your review of the Comfort Suites of Lake George. We try to ensure every guest has an enjoyable experience and are glad to hear that you did. We appreciate your evaluation and hope to see you again in the near future.
George

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We went to Lake George for a family vacation. This is a very family friendly hotel. Clean rooms and the staff was very friendly. My kids enjoyed the pool slide and the game room. They also have basketball and a play area, although we did not utilize that. Breakfast was good. If we visit Lake George area again I would definitley stay here again and I would recommend it to friends. Wonderful hotel!

1 Thank hockeyseason
Dear hockeyseason,
Glad to hear your family had a great stay. We appreciate the feedback as well. Please consider when visiting the Lake George region again.
NY
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We came in on a Sunday evening, disappointed with our previous hotel and they were able to accommodate 2 adults and 2 kids. Thought the price would be high and not sure if I would be able to get refund from other hotel. The cost was well within competitive costs! Well within distance of all the fun things to do in Lake George. The grounds and inside were very clean. Staff and owners were on site, easy to find and very friendly. The pool was very nice and clean. Nice jacuzzi, pool with slide and a shallow kiddy pool. The breakfast was full breakfast, free and clean. We had plenty of towels and washclothes, didn't have to chase down maids to get more items. Will definitely be staying here again!

Room Tip: Staff will help you choose the right room for your stay, they are very helpful.
3 Thank Wcmcac4
COMFORTSUITES284, General Manager at Comfort Suites Lake George, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thankyou for your survey and response. Glad you enjoyed your stay.
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 18, 2014

A plus experience! The staff including Michael and George were outstanding! The rooms were spacious and luxurious.The hotel was close to the outlets and beaches, as well as other attractions. My family and I loved the pool and hot tub. We are already planning on coming back! I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: We had a king suite with a hot tub, 2 flat screen tv's and fireplace! Our kids had a double quee...
1 Thank shirley a
ShirleyA,
Thankyou for your comments and survey of the Comfort Suites of Lake George. Glad we could assist in making your vacation a pleasant one.
Lewiston, Maine
Reviewed July 9, 2014

The room we stayed in was very spacious with its own couch. We had an enormous bathroom and a king bed. It was clean and well presented. The hotel staff were very friendly and informative. Do not eat breakfast there. It is not good. The eggs are powdered and it is not exceptional. Go to Sutton's is you want a good breakfast. The coffee is particularly bad

We stay every year at this hotel and are never sorry as it is very clean and quiet.

Room Tip: Pick a room almost anywhere. I would avoid the pool area for a room, though.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 2014Travelinghappy
COMFORTSUITES284, General Manager at Comfort Suites Lake George, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thankyou for your review and comments about Comfort Suites of Lake George. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay. We will try improve your experience in the breakfast room. We do offer a full complimentary breakfast with real eggs. I agree that Suttons and Silo are great places to go out for breakfast too. Have a great rest of summer.
Reviewed July 7, 2014

The rooms are good size and very clean. We stayed with a group the hotel was great about trying to keep us all close. They are very strict when it come to the kids around the hotel. The pool area is also very nice and clean.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank colleens415
COMFORTSUITES284, General Manager at Comfort Suites Lake George, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thankyou for your survey and comments. The Comfort Suites of Lake George values your input. We try and offer a great hotel with great ammenities and offer a safe environment for all.
We hope to have you back with us in the future when visiting the Lake George area.
New York
Reviewed July 5, 2014

If you make a reservation, check in, and stay here for your vacation and have no problems or issues that need to be addressed, then it's a fine place to be. Let me start with the good. The room is spacious and clean with microwave and refrigerator. It has a nice indoor pool with slide. There's free wifi and continental breakfast provided. It's also a short distance into town.

With that being said, I would never stay here again. Why? Because they have some really dishonest practices here. I had booked a king suite 4 months ago online at the rate of about 199 without realizing the max occupancy was 3 people. We had two adults and a one year old and three year old. Ok yes that's entirely my fault that I had booked the wrong room. Here's how they handled my situation when I tried to check in. They checked to see if there was a 2 queen suite available. Yes, there was, but only if I pay $40 extra a night. I was told that the price increase is for the room differential. LIE 1. I got annoyed knowing that most hotels, including this one, do not charge extra for 2 queen beds vs 1 king. I told him I'm not paying that much, then price came down to 30 then 25 then 20. The other option they told me was to cancel through expedia because according to them I had booked through expedia. Expedia had my money not them, they told me. LIE 2. I showed them my invoice and no where stated expedia, and later I called expedia, and of course they had no record of my reservation. I've been booking directly online at the hotel websites for years, and can't even remember the last time I used Expedia. When I told him that I didn't use expedia, I was ignored. Anyway I sucked it up and paid up because I had driven 5 hours to vacation here. When I went into the room I checked online to see that the current rate was 229 for my room if I booked the same day. So basically, he initially was trying to get me to pay $10 extra from the rate that was stated online. And also as I had suspected, the 2 queen and 1 king were exactly the same price. Most other hotels would've just let me switch into the 2 queen room without charging extra since it was available and the same rate category.

Like I said before, I would've had completely different experience if I had booked a different room 4 months ago, but often times a business is only put to test when issues or problems occur. How they handle it really reflects on their business practices. Just be aware if you end up having any sort of issues here; they'll make you pay as much as they can even if it means lying. Just check out the other bad reviews; many had the same experience as I did, although I paid pretty much the full price not discounted rate right from the beginning.

6 Thank jasminscent
COMFORTSUITES284, General Manager at Comfort Suites Lake George, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
I want to thank you for your review. Please be advised that guest did book through Expedia and paid expedia directly. The reservation was reserved for 3 persons and for a king suite. Guest showed up with 4 persons. Front Desk Agent moved guest to the appropriate suite with a room with 2 queen beds and sofa couch. There was no additional charge to guest.