“Not worth the money”

Ranked #29 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Long Island, NY
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed August 30, 2008

Bottom line, not worth the money.

Our family loves Lake George, vacationing several times a year. Our one big complaint is the quality of the hotels. Most have not changed since 1973, (except for the prices). At the Mohican we paid $180 a night for an old room with mattress that felt like it was stuffed with popcorn. The rug is red and old as is the furniture. The place is somewhat clean but old and worn. The room is basic, no hairdryer, a small frig that does not work, in the wall A/C that causes extremes (freezing-to hot) in room temperature.

What infuriated us was the brand new beautiful “Clarion” next door (the same owners), that went for the same price ($180 a night,). We found out an hour after checking into the Mohican, I tried checking out and into the Clarion but that did not work.

That is a big issue in Lake George, paying top prices for old beat up hotels. (We stayed at the “Georgian” early this summer for $200 a night, another rip off). Several new chains have opened up next to older hotels. I highly recommend the Quality Inn, Wingate, Clarion, Hampton Inn over some of the “older dives”.

If the price was $89 a night the Mohican would be fine, an old nostalgic Lake George family motel. The outdoor pool was good, a nice indoor pool and game room for the kids. The location is outside of the village but around other sites such as “The Great Escape”, outlets etc. Again, our family loves Lake George and will continue to return, I am just tired of paying top money for low quality

• Liked — Nice pools and grounds, near everything
  • Disliked — Old rooms and high price
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Long Island/NYC
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Before writing about the experience my wife and I had with Mohican Motel, I want to acknowledge that this could have been a once time incident, but one all travelers would want to be aware of before reserving a room and planning to stay there.

Friends of ours recommended the Mohican due to its cleanliness, location, price, room sizes, etc. So we took a chance. We were also taken the positive reviews on this site and others and even went so far as to stay one night in Albany on our way up to Lake George from NYC to await a vacancy at the Mohican. Our plan was to stay 2-3 night at the Mohican.

In any event, we arrived the afternoon of August 26, 2008 -- a few hours prior to our check-in time to see if we could use the facilities (e.g. lobby bathroom) to change for an afternoon tubing trip with our 3 children. We were told that they could not accomodate the request (no lobby bathroom, no empty room) -- though they were gracious in doing so.

We returned after our canoeing trip and were given the keys to our 2-bedroom room, which was more or less as advertised. I bit dated (e.g. barely functional air conditioners), but certainly clean (as touted in other reviews) and suitable for our 5-member family trip to Lake George. ... Except the room had an odd oder. After a few minutes, my wife was able to identify the smell as cigarette smoke that was poorly masked. We called housekeeping who immediately came to the room and immediately agreed that the room, in fact, had a terrible oder and that we should be moved to another room or refunded our money. Here where the story takes a horrific turn.

We returned to the lobby to learn there were no other rooms available. We feverishly began to call every reasonable hotel, motel, lodge in the area and called friends to help search the hotel websites to find us a place to stay. The Mohican staff was not willing to aid us in our search. Amazingly, quite to the contrary, they immediately began badgering us about whether we wanted a refund or would be staying on the room. We asked them for a little time to see if there was anything else available in the vicinity (which we were quickly learning there was not) and their response was simply are you staying or going. We told them we would happily stay if they had a room that did not contain a stench or, worse, lingering cigarette contaminants. The attitude we received was take it or go. While I was on the phone with multiple hotels at once, my wife was literally pleading with them not to force us to leave until we were assured to have a suitable place to go with our 3 small children. I had to pause my efforts to join the pleading and ask the Mohican staff for 20 minutes to make a decision and try finding an alternative (as my wife and I figured the "oder room" still beat sleeping in our car overnight). My request was met with anger and an utter lack of caring. I should note that at this point, several Mohican staff members (including someone who identified herself as the owner) had congregated at the front desk.

Take what you will from our experience. I am sure we are not the first people to have to switch hotels because the hotel's last room had an issue or another -- but if you knew the hotel you were considering would not allow for 20 minutes (this is not exagerration) for a potential replacement to be found, would you honestly still consider staying there? To me, the bottom line simple: If you love your children, how can you possibly risk staying at a place like this?

Consumer beware.

• Liked — Price/location
  • Disliked — That the room had a stench/That the staff treated my family poorly for pointing it out to them
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
12 Thank HonestReporting
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2007

My family, 3 boys under 8, my wife & I....stayed here one night before stayying in the Great Escape Lodge for 5 days.
Very clean...great value...indoor pool...friendly staff...nice little kitchenette.
Next time we would save some money and spend more nights in here and only 2-3 in GEL.
Didn't like the plastic sheets under the regular ones...but understand why they were there.

• Liked — Spacious rooms
  • Disliked — Plastic sheets under regular ones.
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed August 7, 2007

My family and I stayed at one of the Condos and it was VERY CLEAN. IMMACULATE. I was impressed by the fact that they change the sheets and bedspread!!! The Condos were very spacious and had its own kitchen along with a table and 4 chairs to sit down and eat (this is good when you have kids - going out to eat gets very expensive). The location is good because you are closer to The Great Escape, The Outlets, etc. I think there is more to do down at this end then going into the Village. It's alot quieter. They have grills (which we BBQ'd one night) with picnic benches, a gazebo, a playground, basketball court, arcade room, two pools (the indoor pool is better than the outdoor one- warmer and nicer), two jacuzzis, a sauna room, and a laundry room (you have to put in your own change). The staff was very friendly and informative. I would stay here again : )

• Liked — Immaculate, Very Clean
  • Disliked — Not Enough Scenery - Mountain/Water, Too Close To Road (You Could Hear The Traffic Especially On The Thruway)
Duryea PA
Reviewed July 21, 2007

Great hotel, great service, location so-so. The Mohican had to be one of the cleanest hotels I have ever stayed in, staff is great. Location is very close to the outlets, but is not within walking distance to Great Escape. I would not even walk to the outlets, the road in front of the hotel is quite congested and I could not even imagine trying to cross it with small children even to get the trolley. The room rates are great we stayed in a townhouse, very nice set up.

Stayed July 2007
Fanwood, NJ
Reviewed July 6, 2007

Our family rented two of the efficiency rooms. Yes, the hotel is clean and centrally located to the outlet stores and is a short drive to Lake George. However, a few things bugged us about our stay: the mattresses on the beds made so much noise when we laid down that we couldn't sleep. We finally realized the mattresses were covered with cheap plastic covers which we removed so we could get some sleep! The fabric shower curtains in both rooms had no plastic liners.The shower sprayed all over the floor and with 4 of us showering in my room alone, this left a flood in the bathroom. I finally went to the local Walmart and bought a liner for the shower in my room which solved the problem - why couldn't management think of this? We were told that we would have enough kitchen utensils and dishes and we definitely did not. In each room is a small brochure which states the rules and amenities regarding the hotel. It clearly states that if you have any mail, the hotel would take it and mail it out for you. Two of us had business mail from work to send out and were told to find the nearest post office and take care of it ourselves. Clearly the front desk does not read it's own printed material.

• Liked — The grounds - it had barbeque and playground facilities and indoor and outdoor pools.
  • Disliked — The beds and the shower.
Kawartha Lakes, Canada
Reviewed June 12, 2007

A group of 8 of us shared 2 of the double rooms at the Mohican for Americade. Great location...just a couple miles from downtown Lake George and walking distance to the outlet malls. 2 pools...one indoor, one outdoor. Hot tubs. Rooms were kept very clean and staff were very friendly and accomodating. Some of the beds dipped in middle; others were great. Needs new/more pillows.

• Liked — location, location, location
  • Disliked — pillows
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends