“Great place for kids, but a few suggestions.”

The Lodges at Cresthaven
Ranked #22 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
Pennsylvania
“Great place for kids, but a few suggestions.”
Reviewed July 8, 2007

My family (husband & 4kids) stayed in unit #35 June 24-July 1. The property is very nice. Pool was exceptional - the kids absolutely loved it. Game room is small, but the kids liked that, too. Our cabin was decorated very nicely, and included all the basic necessities. A few suggestions, however: it'd be nice to know, ahead of time, what is and isn't furnished in the cabin. All we really knew was that sheets & towels were provided. Also, there was nothing to indicate what we were responsible for doing prior to check out - such as washing linens, taking out the trash, vacuuming, etc. It would have been nice to have a check list of things to do prior to leaving. One more tidbit: the cabin is equipped w/ a telephone, but unless you're calling the front office or another cabin, you must have a calling card - even for local numbers. Keep in mind: the propery is on a rather steep incline. If you're traveling w/ folks not able to journey up & down a steep hill, this may not be the place for you. The kids activities that are planned throughout the week were very nice. The bon fire & smores on the beach were fabulous, as was the "pirate treasure hunt". I would definately go back, but would probably ask to be in a cabin closest to the pool, to keep walking to a minimum.

• Liked — activities for the kids
  • Disliked — on a very, very steep incline - lots of walking!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank gottatip

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Westchester County
Reviewed June 29, 2007

My family has been coming to LG for 30 years so I've sampled quite a few places in the area. While the scenery is gorgeous and there is much to do, the accommodations available generally tend to be on the "rustic" side. A notable exception are the Lodges at Cresthaven which are nicely appointed Adirondack cabins right on the lake. This is a nice set up for a family vacation and has many of the conveniences of home with a W/D and full kitchen with DW in each unit.

There is a restaurant right on the property, along with a small game room. a heated pool and of course the lake (sandy beach).

The Lodges are not cheap, but if you are looking for a cut above-this is the place.

• Liked — Spacious rooms
  • Stayed August 2006
5 Thank bbmonster
Rochester, NY
Reviewed March 16, 2007

I got married in L.G at the Lodges. I fell in love with the property, it is as beautiful as the pictures promise. I am writing to those wishing to have their wedding there, and I am going to be very honest on how we were treated.

First, I had to plan the wedding while overseas, so making trips there were inconvienent for me but I managed to get there 3 separate times: Once to visit w/ my fiancee, once with my friend, and once with my father to tie up final ends 3 months before the wedding.

I had made it very clear to the staff that we were a no-nonsense laid back couple and wanted this to be almost like a family reunion also, as my in-laws were coming from Montreal, and my family from Rochester and had never met. We said numerous times that although we would love to have the wedding here, but if that wasn't going to work for them then we we would look elsewhere. They found out that my husband was a professional athlete and assumed we were going to spend bags of money, in which we were not- our parents were not paying for this, WE WERE and to have the whole family for a Friday night BBQ, SAT wedding, and a Sunday Brunch was something that would be more than just one day of expenses.

The Kitchen Manager, DAN, was acting aloof and confused every meeting and couldn't give me a straight answer on any prices. He DID say that they don't really do too many weddings there. We decided that to keep the Boathouse open for dinner on a Sat. night that we would have the reception food served at 2pm- plenty of time to get people out and down to the beach for the reception, the restaraunt to re-open for normal patrons. However, although the food was fabulous, there was no negotiating on menu quantity and prices-- you had to get the full she-bang, which was not cheap. The presentation was wonderful though and worth it. It was important to me that we feed 115 out of towners so I went with it.

We had a BBQ with a bonfire the Friday before and I had INSISTED to Dan that I wanted hots and burgers and some beer, THAT'S ALL. I call him TUESDAY and he informs me of a $21.95 pp menu including everything under the sun. I almost had a heart attack. I had to get my husband on the phone to tell him to change it I was so mad. I was starting to think that THEY were thinking we were cheap. The BBQ went off without a hitch, and was classy. The guests loved it.

The day of my wedding came, and I got married at the grassy landing above the Boathouse overlooking the water. The owner/manager of the resort was out there at 6am helping me put some flowers on the arbor that I was getting married under. He had told me that because the lodges had all been rented out that I would have to change in the ARCADE, which was sweltering on an 85 deg. day. (This in fact was a lie, because this guy wouldn't offer my husband and I a deal on any of the rooms, or our families whom we were paying for-- however because they are so expensive everyone booked elsewhere. Then at the last minute I had unexpected guests show up, and SURPRISE! rooms were available, AND at a discounted rate.)

The reception came, and went, and everything seemed fine. We all had a blast. The wedding ended at 8pm and they let us stay under the tent with our own drinks and music until very late. That was appreciated. But the KICKER, was that when I went to the resort w/ my dad we had made a DEFINATE plan with DAN that my father was covering the bar tab as a gift which would be settled the day after the wedding. I FOUND OUT THAT THAT JERK WAS CHARGING MY GUESTS CASH, EVEN THOUGH HE AND HIS STAFF KNEW THIS-- MY MOM WAS SO EMBARRESSED, SHE LEFT THE WEDDING AND DROVE TO AN ATM TO RE-PAY PEOPLE. Luckily it was only happening for a short time, before my brother had a fit and yelled someone. I thank my family for understanding at not letting me find out until after.

OTHER BEEFS: As my wedding was going on, a couple had come through as they were thinking of getting married there. So without our knowing strolled through our wedding. Not a huge deal, and I didn't care, but that is not very professional. Dan would not let me stay in the Boathouse to figure out seating arrangements and I only had from 10pm-11pm Friday to figure out how to sit everyone. It was a nightmare. I should've been in there earlier to do it so the staff wouldn't have to stay that late. Another thing that pissed me off was that I went up to the stationary bar to get a drink, and the guy behind it rolled his eyes and said he wasn't supposed to be out there, and that he was hot. TO THE BRIDE HE SAYS THIS!!

I am not a fancy or picky person. I'm not. But the fact that Dan made us feel very cheap after spending over 25 grand on this wedding was disappointing. The fact that my picture and others from my wedding is on their website and I was not asked permission is illegal. They had permission to use beauty shots only- the only reason I am not complaining directly is b/c the photographer is a good friend of mine and I at least hope he got paid for them.

I MUST SAY-- the rest of the staff- each and every one-- were AMAZING-- A+ to them. And I am sorry if they think any of this review has to do with them, it doesn't.

If you choose to get married there, you'll love it-- just bring a lawyer with you to make sure you don't get treated like we did!

Stayed June 2005
33 Thank Winnie79
Macedon, New York
Reviewed September 25, 2006

My husband and I recently celebrated our 10 yr anniversary in Lodge #36. We had the Love Bird Package which included a dozen red roses, dinner at the Boathouse Restaurant (right on premises) 2 continental breakfasts (muffins, coffee cake, juice and yogart) and a boat ride on the Minnie HaHa. This was our first visit to the property and needless to say we did not want to leave. The views of the lake are absolutely wonderful. So peaceful to watch the boats pass by during the day and night. We were even treated to a fireworks display off a boat in the water in front of the property.

The lodge itself is just as the website pictures show...true adirondack furniture and furnishings. Wonderful cherry wood kitchen cabinets and stainless steel frig with granite countertops. Nice balcony furniture (table w/4 chairs and a glider). Our upper unit was quiet, but we could hear the people below us.

Both the service and food at the Boathouse Restaurant were very good. Beach area was nice with plenty of chairs. Too cool for the outside pool during our stay. Did enjoy lounging in the hammocks.

Definately agree with other reviews - need your hiking shoes for this resort - lots of uphill walking.

Staff in the office very friendly and helpful. Would like to see a later checkout time (10:00 a.m. is early).

2 bedrooms were nice (master has king bed and 2nd bedroom has queen on bottom and bunk on top), however beds were a little firm and woke with a backache each day. Plenty of thick, plush towels provided. Jacuzzi tub was nice, however shower in master bath was a like a harsh mist so I used the shower in the 2nd bath.

Overall, loved the place and would definately stay again, but during off season - couldn't afford weekly rates. Would like to bring our son next time to enjoy the playground area, pool and beach.

• Liked — Lodge and views of the lake
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Elaine F
New York, N.Y.
Reviewed September 2, 2006

I believe that this is the top family resort on Lake George. The lodges are brand new and well appointed throughout and the property and facilities are solid quality and well maintained. This is a pricey option by Lake George standards, but I think it's worth the money. Here are some bullet points on the many highlights:

Highlights:

Lodges: new, rustic lodges; well appointed, great furnishings and new, comfortable beds
Staff: Universally friendly, professional and responsive
Beach: well maintained; plenty of chairs; friendly drink service
Pool area and gym: brand new, clean; gym consisted of treadmill, upright bike, elliptical machine, full set of dumbbells and a broken universal machine
Check-in/out: efficient and very pleasant
Atmosphere: nice family friendly atmosphere; quiet at night
Location: great - 1.5 miles to the Lake George "strip" and a short ride to shopping outlets

My family stayed there with our infant daughter. There were lots of families with little kids and the place seemed to impart a laid back friendliness on its guests. I really can't think of any negatives worth mentioning, aside from the fact that somebody charged their dinner to our room. The exceptionally competent woman at the front desk immediately reversed the charges and aplolgised for the mistake. Aside from this, we did not encounter any similar issues as the principals are pretty vigilant about freeloaders - a guy is stationed at the entrance during the day and he checks everyone's parking passes. Likewise, the staff also does a nice job making sure that the cabins do not exceed the 6-guest limit.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2006
6 Thank Indian91
Massachusetts
Reviewed July 27, 2006

We stayed at the Lodges the week of 4th of July. This is the best resort on Lake George!!! They have so many things for families to do. My children are 6 & 9 and our friend's children are 3 & 5. They had a great welcome party when we arrived at their brand new pool (which overlooks the lake). There was reggae music and it was a great welcome! They also had face painting for the kids, a clown show and pirate hunt (all on different days). The best thing is the Monday night bon fire. It is awesome. They provide the smores supplies and there is live music on the beach. My kids thought it was the best. There is also a huge playground with all kinds of swings and wooden trains, firetruck, boat & monster slides. The resort has a private beach and it is wonderful for the children. There is free use of row boats and kayaks too. They provide service for drinks and food at the beach and pool from the restaurant that is on-site.

The units are immaculate! Ours had granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, a jacuzzi tub, master suite...it was unbelievable! What is so cool about this resort is that all of lodges are built from logs, but they have all of today's modern ammenities. There was a washer & dryer, which is so needed when you vacation for a week. The kitchen has full-sized appliances and even a dishwasher! There are plasma televisions in the living room and both bedrooms. Everything is decorated with wooden, rustic furniture and great upholstered chairs & couches. They even have a leather chair with ottoman--I've never seen a leather chair in a resort before! Each lodge has a private balcony and we had great views to the lake (we were in lodge 42).

You can't ask for much more that this resort offers. I compared prices at the Sagamore resort and they wanted almost $6,000 for one week and The Lodges at Cresthaven has so much more to offer. We will go back each year and are even thinking of purchasing into their fractional ownership plan. They have a great website and unlike other places, what you see is what you get on their website. It really does look just like the pictures!

I highly reccomend this resort, you can't go wrong!

• Liked — Attention to detail, everything from the grounds to the lodges is immaculate!
  • Disliked — Having to leave...
  • Tips/Secrets — Book early
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
10 Thank Famonthego
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed July 4, 2006

Our family just returned from a week's vacation on scenic Lake George in New York. We rented 3 two-bedroom condos at The Lodges at Cresthaven. This is also a timeshare resort, however we simply rented. This was our first vacation on Lake George and it was a good one. The weather, accomodations, lack of crowds and the spectacular beauty of Lake George made it a memorable trip that we will likely repeat sometime in the future. The resort itself, was, without a doubt, one of the nicer timeshare resorts I've ever stayed in. They are not without their faults (I'll touch on those later), but those were mostly minor and the overall stay was pleasant.

First of all, the location, about 5 miles up the west shore of the lake from Lake George Village, was gorgeous. The view of the lake from our balcony was nearly unobstructed. The developers left just enough trees in the sightline to make the view richer, without blocking out the lake. Most of the cottages appeared to have some view of the lake, although those sitting closer to the water, especially those to the left (as you look at the lake), had views that were more than partially obstructed by trees. Still, the property was clean, well layed-out and visually appealing from almost any angle. The owners appeared to take great pride in their investment and it showed. They just completed a brand new indoor/outdoor pool and recreation center right in the middle of the resort property which looks great. We, unfortunately, did not get to partake in the pool as they were just putting the finishing touches on that the week we were there, but I did get a chance to use the small, but adequate gym facility. The gym consisted of a treadmill, elliptic machine, stationary bike, a universal weight machine and a small rack of dumbells. It's not Golds Gym, but the equipment was decent commercial quality (and brand new). It will fulfill the needs of almost anyone who, like me, feels the need to torture thyself while on vacation (its all those Pizzerias in Lake George!) But even as I tortured myself on the treadmill, I got to do it with a great view of the lake through the large windows in front of the machines. The resort did have another outdoor pool which satisfied the kids just fine when they weren't down at the beach. Once the new pool facility is open, I believe the older pool may be sacrificed for newer lodges going in soon (my observation, but not necessarily fact). The beach, while small, was neat and clean. Plus, you could get drinks served chairside from the Boathouse restaurant co-located on the property. You'll pay dearly for those fancy drinks, but, hey, its vacation, right? Bring a cooler down to the beach if the wallet is a bit light.

The cottages (condos) themselves, were tastefully furnished (a rarity in timeshares, I think). Two of the three cottages we rented (units 35 & 36) were the newer "stacked" cottages in the back (although a new section will be going behind those in the future). When you see the interior photos on the website, these are the cottages you are seeing. The floor plan is very open and the accomodations are quite nice, including a large jacuzzi tub in the master suite, granite countertops and a 42" plasma tv in the living room. The third cottage (#5) was one of the first units built (I believe) and it was down closer to the water, to the left with a mostly obstructed view of the lake. The appointments inside this cottage were not nearly as fancy as those in the other two, but it was well cared for and everything was functional and comfortable. It didn't feel as open as the other two cottages, but had two levels (a balcony on each) and two twin beds in the 2nd bedroom instead of the queen/bunk setup in the 2nd bedroom in the newer condos. I think the queen bed with the single bunk over it would work for the younger crowd, but would make life difficult for the older crowd who would neither like to hurdle themselves up to the top bunk nor roll over another occupant in the lower queen bed to get to the bathroom.

Like I said earlier, the newer cottages were tastefully decorated with neat features like handmade furniture fashoined out of logs. The master suite was very nice, with a comfortable king bed, huge two-person jacuzzi tub and seperate shower. Everything was built not only for comfort and luxury but, in my opinion, to entice potential timeshare buyers. At a price tag of over 40K (for 3 weeks, one in high season) this is where I think they may have missed their mark (so close, but not quite). Money was spent to upgrade the the cottages with items like stainless-steel appliances and large plasma tvs. But none of it was top quality. The plasma tv was very nice, but a medium-range brand, the appliances looked very nice from the outside, but were not high quality inside. My opinion, i would have spent the money on less flash, but higher quality. Just my opinion...I'm not a builder or a developer.

The biggest detraction from this otherwise beautiful property was the poor sound insulation between the stacked cottages. My sister and brother-in-law stayed in the cottage above us, being that it was family, it was not a big issue for us. But...you can hear everything. If I phoned upstairs, I could hear their phone ring as if it was in the next room. Not a good thing if you were to get a loud group above you. If you go, ask for a cottage on the top floor.

One other minor detraction, although this was not an issue for me in particular is accessability of this property for folks who may not be as mobile as they would like. It is set on a very steep hill that runs right down to the lake. The front of the stacked cottages were only accessable by steps (I believe the rear may have not had steps). While not impossible, this resort would be difficult for handicapped or elderly who have trouble walking.

Otherwise, the place was great. A wonderful playground for the kids was right behind our cottage. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Overall: price, accomodations, location combined I give this resort a very high B+. The few detractions and fairly steep sticker price for a week's stay keeps it out of my A catagory. But, if money is not an issue, and you can get a top floor cottage (or two one above and one below), I would still recommend it. I hear Lake George gets very busy starting July 4th week. I say, go in late June, just before the high season starts. Everything is open, the weather is beautiful and you won't feel crowded.

• Stayed June 2006