“A Perfect Wedding Weekend in a Perfect Location”
Review of Sun Castle Resort

Sun Castle Resort
Ranked #27 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
NJ
“A Perfect Wedding Weekend in a Perfect Location”
Reviewed October 13, 2010

We rented 16 townhomes and villas at Sun Castle for our wedding weekend. Our family came from all over the US and Ireland. The location was perfect! The townhomes are beautiful and the villas, while more rustic, where a perfect adirondack home for the weekend. We had the wedding at the Inn at Erlowest (which shares the property - also amazing, please see the review there!)

Staying in a home like setting for the weekend made everyone comfortable, visiting each others places, sitting on the decks having coffee and leisurely mornings, and being able to say hello to each other from the decks made everyone feel close and made myself and my husband feel so close with our guests. Being in a hotel in rooms throughout the building could never have fostered this kind of feeling in our family and guests.

As for the staff, I can not say enough. They bent over backward for everything we asked! We had rented a large area of the resort, so they happily agreed to allow us to put up a large tent for a BBQ on Saturday night. They worked with us throughout the booking and logistics to help make everything fit perfectly, and even offered to take our out of town family down to the grocery store! By the time we arrived for the wedding, we felt like they were family and credit so much of the success of the weekend to their above and beyond customer service. Debbie, our main contact for the resort, was just as much a part of our lodging and event planning as anyone...she is amazing!

Many of our guests will be returning to Sun Castle for their own family weekends. If anyone is planning an event where you want to get family and friends together for a truly memorable weekend, this is the place to do it! If you are planning an adirondack wedding, I HIGHLY recommend the Inn at Erlowest and Sun Castle Resorts!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank mdr920

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 11, 2010

My friend and I wanted to getaway for the holiday weekend and I found Sun Castle online. Debbie Regan, the manager made sure everything was perfect ,down to flowers my friend ordered to have in the room before we got there. The villa itself was adorable and very homelike but the views from our porch were unbelievable. We were ON the water and we could sit and listen to the water breaking under us. The villa was incredibly clean and had everything we needed down to coffee filters!
We are already planing our next visit!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2010

We've been staying here for years and each year it gets progressively worse. Definitely the last year here. When the townhouses were new, they were decent, but now they are approaching budget motel status.

They are old and dated. They simply do not update or maintain them. Windows were broken and AC note working when we arrived. Within a couple hours they were fixed.

A few things to note.
-If you want to go to sleep before 1am on the weekends look elsewhere. They have weddings which a obviously big money for the inn, but bad news for the people who spend $400 a night to relax.
-They no longer service the units daily, so you are expected to use your towels for as long as you plan to stay.
-The place is simply dingy. Mold in the showers, stains on all the furniture, etc. Everything you would expect in a budget motel.

Look next door for newer and more well kept accomidations. I would rather spend a couple extra bucks than waste $400 a night at this place.

• Stayed September 2010
6 Thank A2TB
New Jersey
Reviewed August 27, 2010

I just wanted to say that my husband, daughter and I stayed along with another family last month and we all loved it. The townhouses were so clean. I am very picky and would recomment this place to anyone looking for a nice quiet relaxing vacation. The staff is very friendly and helpful too. I look forward to going back next summer!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank djsNewJersey
NEW HAVEN
Reviewed July 14, 2010

My husband, young teenage son and I went to a wedding at the Inn at Erlowest. All of the rooms at the inn are for two, so we stayed in Sun Castle Resort's Villa #1 (owned and operated by Inn at Erlowest's proprietor). The $330/night villa was outdated and uncomfortable. It was musty, cobwebs were everywhere, dead bugs covered the windows, and there was a 2” hole in the floor - to the grass outside - right by my bed. The kitchenette was not clean, poorly equipped, and part of the countertop had fallen off. The bedding was very old. Disgusting pillows had cases but not covers. Mattresses were lumpy and uncomfortable. The only amenity was a small bar of Jergen’s soap. The bathroom had been poorly and incompletely updated. Everything was very dark since the walls, ceiling and floor were all dark brown. There was not a picture on a wall. There was no information (restaurants, checkout time,…) anywhere. It was bare bones. There was a view, but somewhat obscured by the overgrowth of shrubbery that was not maintained but had odd tall stumps that had been chopped off. Three were empty beer cans and bottles outside. The game room was outdated and locked.

The food was very good at the inn.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank ruffmo
NEW HAVEN
Reviewed July 14, 2010

My husband, young teenage son and I went to the Inn at Erlowest for a wedding. All of the rooms at the inn are for two, so we stayed in Villa #1. The $330/night villa was outdated and uncomfortable. It was musty, cobwebs were everywhere, dead bugs covered the windows, and there was a 2” hole in the floor - to the grass outside - right by my bed. The kitchenette was not clean, poorly equipped, and part of the countertop had fallen off. The bedding was very old. Disgusting pillows had cases but not covers. Mattresses were lumpy and uncomfortable. The only amenity was a small bar of Jergen’s soap. The bathroom had been poorly and incompletely updated. Everything was very dark since the walls, ceiling and floor were all dark brown. There was not a picture on a wall. There was no information (restaurants, checkout time,…) anywhere. It was bare bones. There was a view, but somewhat obscured by the overgrowth of shrubbery that was not maintained but had odd tall stumps that had been chopped off. Three were empty beer cans and bottles outside. The game room was outdated and locked. ¶ The place is putting all of it’s money into its wedding business and recently added 2 large ballrooms to the inn. We were wedding guests and were in an awful “villa” without a full length mirror and with a very rocky incline to the inn (not conducive to wearing high heels). ¶ The service was sad. The employees had no personality and not once were we asked if we were enjoying our stay. Check-in was negative and awkward. ¶ The food was very good. ¶ I finally got the proprietor on the phone after our stay. While I kept my cool, she was rude and disinterested in my comments about the villa – and actually hung up on me. Among many jaw-dropping comments she made, she did explain if I had contacted her Friday night about the condition of the villa they would have offered me a different room – for more money – or suggested we leave.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
8 Thank ruffmo
PA
Reviewed August 30, 2008

We recently stayed at the Sun Castle Resort in a townhome. I was a little reluctant to pay $3400 for a 2 BR for a week but I did anyway. First the positives- The view was awesome. It was very close to everything and on the trolley route. The home was beautifully decorated.
Now for the negative

When we arrived it looked like the unit had not been cleaned completely. There was dirt and hair on one of the bedsheets. The one pillow had black hair on it and (this is disgusting!!) but the sofa sleeper sheet had old bloodstains on it. In addition, 1/2 of the light bulbs were burnt out and the smoke detector in the LR was missing.

We called management and they did send someone over right away to replace the bulbs but we were told that they would have to order a smoke detector. Imagine our surprise when they happen to quickly find one when we threatened to call and report them for safety code violations.

The lady in charge of housekeeping personally came to the unit and apologized profusely for the poor cleaning service. She had the maids come back and remake all the beds. During our stay we saw her several times and she made it a point to check in w/ us almost daily to see if we needed anything.

During the beginning of our trip we went to the gameroom as they advertised a pool table and other things for the kids. When we walked in it looked like a tornado had gone through there.

Trash was all over the tables and floor and the ping pong table and paddles looked like some woodeating animals devoured them. The paddles were broken and the ping pong table had exposed wood on one whole section. There were old bottles and plates and trash on the floor and all over. We left and mentioned something to the lady in charge of housekeeping when we saw her. She said that staff cleans it "when it needs it." She promised she would send someone over to clean it. A few days later when we returned it was the same and nothing had been touched.

While we were in LG, we checked out some other resorts for future visits. There were quite a few that were a lot less expensive and were much nicer and CLEANER> Honestly, I don't expect to pay $3400 to walk into a townhome where the sheets are stained w/ blood and covered in hair and 1/2 of the lightbulbs are burnt out and the smoke detector is missing. BEWARE

• Liked — The view and location
  • Disliked — Poor maid service/ poor rating for cleanliness (blood/hair on sheets),
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family