“Sun Castle is overpriced, outdated, and poorly run.”
Review of Sun Castle Resort

Sun Castle Resort
Ranked #25 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
NEW HAVEN
“Sun Castle is overpriced, outdated, and poorly run.”
Reviewed July 14, 2010

My husband, young teenage son and I went to a wedding at the Inn at Erlowest. All of the rooms at the inn are for two, so we stayed in Sun Castle Resort's Villa #1 (owned and operated by Inn at Erlowest's proprietor). The $330/night villa was outdated and uncomfortable. It was musty, cobwebs were everywhere, dead bugs covered the windows, and there was a 2” hole in the floor - to the grass outside - right by my bed. The kitchenette was not clean, poorly equipped, and part of the countertop had fallen off. The bedding was very old. Disgusting pillows had cases but not covers. Mattresses were lumpy and uncomfortable. The only amenity was a small bar of Jergen’s soap. The bathroom had been poorly and incompletely updated. Everything was very dark since the walls, ceiling and floor were all dark brown. There was not a picture on a wall. There was no information (restaurants, checkout time,…) anywhere. It was bare bones. There was a view, but somewhat obscured by the overgrowth of shrubbery that was not maintained but had odd tall stumps that had been chopped off. Three were empty beer cans and bottles outside. The game room was outdated and locked.

The food was very good at the inn.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank ruffmo

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
NEW HAVEN
Reviewed July 14, 2010

My husband, young teenage son and I went to the Inn at Erlowest for a wedding. All of the rooms at the inn are for two, so we stayed in Villa #1. The $330/night villa was outdated and uncomfortable. It was musty, cobwebs were everywhere, dead bugs covered the windows, and there was a 2” hole in the floor - to the grass outside - right by my bed. The kitchenette was not clean, poorly equipped, and part of the countertop had fallen off. The bedding was very old. Disgusting pillows had cases but not covers. Mattresses were lumpy and uncomfortable. The only amenity was a small bar of Jergen’s soap. The bathroom had been poorly and incompletely updated. Everything was very dark since the walls, ceiling and floor were all dark brown. There was not a picture on a wall. There was no information (restaurants, checkout time,…) anywhere. It was bare bones. There was a view, but somewhat obscured by the overgrowth of shrubbery that was not maintained but had odd tall stumps that had been chopped off. Three were empty beer cans and bottles outside. The game room was outdated and locked. ¶ The place is putting all of it’s money into its wedding business and recently added 2 large ballrooms to the inn. We were wedding guests and were in an awful “villa” without a full length mirror and with a very rocky incline to the inn (not conducive to wearing high heels). ¶ The service was sad. The employees had no personality and not once were we asked if we were enjoying our stay. Check-in was negative and awkward. ¶ The food was very good. ¶ I finally got the proprietor on the phone after our stay. While I kept my cool, she was rude and disinterested in my comments about the villa – and actually hung up on me. Among many jaw-dropping comments she made, she did explain if I had contacted her Friday night about the condition of the villa they would have offered me a different room – for more money – or suggested we leave.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
8 Thank ruffmo
PA
Reviewed August 30, 2008

We recently stayed at the Sun Castle Resort in a townhome. I was a little reluctant to pay $3400 for a 2 BR for a week but I did anyway. First the positives- The view was awesome. It was very close to everything and on the trolley route. The home was beautifully decorated.
Now for the negative

When we arrived it looked like the unit had not been cleaned completely. There was dirt and hair on one of the bedsheets. The one pillow had black hair on it and (this is disgusting!!) but the sofa sleeper sheet had old bloodstains on it. In addition, 1/2 of the light bulbs were burnt out and the smoke detector in the LR was missing.

We called management and they did send someone over right away to replace the bulbs but we were told that they would have to order a smoke detector. Imagine our surprise when they happen to quickly find one when we threatened to call and report them for safety code violations.

The lady in charge of housekeeping personally came to the unit and apologized profusely for the poor cleaning service. She had the maids come back and remake all the beds. During our stay we saw her several times and she made it a point to check in w/ us almost daily to see if we needed anything.

During the beginning of our trip we went to the gameroom as they advertised a pool table and other things for the kids. When we walked in it looked like a tornado had gone through there.

Trash was all over the tables and floor and the ping pong table and paddles looked like some woodeating animals devoured them. The paddles were broken and the ping pong table had exposed wood on one whole section. There were old bottles and plates and trash on the floor and all over. We left and mentioned something to the lady in charge of housekeeping when we saw her. She said that staff cleans it "when it needs it." She promised she would send someone over to clean it. A few days later when we returned it was the same and nothing had been touched.

While we were in LG, we checked out some other resorts for future visits. There were quite a few that were a lot less expensive and were much nicer and CLEANER> Honestly, I don't expect to pay $3400 to walk into a townhome where the sheets are stained w/ blood and covered in hair and 1/2 of the lightbulbs are burnt out and the smoke detector is missing. BEWARE

• Liked — The view and location
  • Disliked — Poor maid service/ poor rating for cleanliness (blood/hair on sheets),
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
5 Thank PAtravelinmomma
Vermont
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We had planned a family vacation at Lake George at a resort recommended by a friend of the family. I booked two adjoining condos (there are eleven of us) in February for a week in July at The Quarters at Lake George. When I arrived to check in, they had only one condo reserved for us and at that late date, of course, they had nothing else available. I was understandably distraught, but felt I had only myself to blame as I had not looked at the confirmation they sent. I know I had booked two condos on the phone. The person at registration was unsympathetic about my dilemma and less than helpful. I asked if she could recommend another similar resort or if she could call an Inn across the street to see if they had any availability. She offered no assistance what so ever. I would lose my $1400 deposit and even if my condo were to be rented to someone else, I would get nothing back.

I called members of my family who were to arrive the following day to tell them the sad news. I had my car packed with coolers of food for the week and was facing the prospect of returning back to Vermont and canceling our whole vacation. In the meantime, my daughter-in-law looked online and found another resort, Sun Castle, just up the road. She called and found they had two adjacent condos available. Cheryl, the proprietor, was so wonderful. She was totally understanding of our situation and even gave us a discount for late booking. In fact, she was surprised the Quarters hadn't offered to call her as resort owners often help each other out.

Even though the Sun Castle was slightly more expensive, the difference was well worth it. The 2-bedroom condos were large and very nicely furnished. There were two adjoining covered decks off the living room and upstairs bedroom overlooking the lake. The kitchen was large with a roomy breakfast bar and a large dining table. All eleven of us were able to eat together. The property is well-maintained with lots of grassy areas, flowers, and walking paths. There is even an old stone mansion which operates as a bed and breakfast and serves lunch and dinner on the porch. Gas grills were provided for each unit, linens, towels, paper towels, toilet paper, dishwashing soaps, trash bags were all replaced when needed. After checking out, we realized some clothing had been left behind. Cheryl packed it up and sent it to us at no charge.

As you can see our worst nightmare turned out to be a fabulous family vacation, thanks to the Sun Castle Resort at Lake George.

• Liked — Roomy, clean, free Internet, lakeview
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank VermontNanzie
New York, NY
Reviewed September 29, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Sun Castle resort with another couple and had a blast! The property is beautiful and quiet, although we did go in the off season. However, a few things to know...the townhouses, which we stayed in, DO NOT look like the website; only a few of the townhouses are newly renovated, although all of them are the same price. Make sure you request a newly renovated one, and one with a fireplace. We rented a townhouse, and it needed a lot of work, and while it was clean and comfortable, it was certainly not what I thought we were getting when we booked. The villas they advertise are little more than glorified camp houses, again, clean and comfortable, but very rustic, absolutely no extras, very simple. Which is fine, as long as you are aware that that's what you are getting. I would also ask if they have a wedding at the Inn on the property while you are there; they usually have the reception on the patio, and it can get a little noisy if you are in one of the properties close to their porch. The unit to book (if you get a townhouse) is unit 6A or 6B. Overall, a great deal off season, and a beautiful place, as long as you know exactly what you are getting. My only complaint, was that we were not told in advance we were getting an older unit for the same price as a newer one, so were were a little disappointed. But it is on the lake, and every unit has a great view.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank ladylynn80
LA
Reviewed September 4, 2006

I would say think twice before you book this Bed and Breakfast place. We were in the Erlowest Suite and we were not able to sleep. The room was hot and we had to go down each night and request to have the Air Condition on. We were told to open the windows instead! You can hear the employees chatting and singing in the kitchen each night and we were not able to sleep till midnight. You can hear everything from the kitchen and it was so loud with pots and pans noise. Not a relaxing room I must say. Save your money and get yourself a hotel room instead of this place. NOT IMPRESSED!!!!

Stayed July 2006
2 Thank RLTEIF
Manalapan, New Jersey
Reviewed July 20, 2006

Our family of 5 recently returned from our Lake George vacation. We stayed in a townhouse at Sun Castle Resort. The townhouse was built in 2003, but it seemed like brand new. Everything was immaculate and they provided all the comforts of home, including clean sheets and towels, soap and toilet tissue. The spacious kitchen had a breakfast bar and all the dishes and appliances we needed. The main floor also had a dining room table and a living room that led out to a large terrace with a table and chairs overlooking the magnificent lake. The couch opened to a sofa bed and there was a built-in unit with a gas fireplace, television and storage cabinets. There was also a half bathroom and a washer/dryer on that level. The hard-wood floors matched the wood trim on all the cabinets throughout the house.
The upstairs level consisted of two large bedrooms with high ceilings and full bathrooms. The master bath had a stall shower and the guest bath had a tub. The guest bedroom in our unit had a queen-size bed and an oversized chair that opened to a narrow cot. It also had a built-in storage unit with a television.
The master bedroom had a king-size bed with a television with storage under it and a closet and a dresser. There was a jaccuzi tub in the master bedroom, surrounded by beautiful tiles that coordinated with the tiles in the bathrooms. This room led out to the upstairs terrace with the same view of the lake and a cushioned loveseat and chair. Each unit had its own grill.
Since we had our own boat, we took advantage of the launch ramp and docks on the premises. We enjoyed our outings on the lake immensely. Lake George Village, which was not far down the road by car was not far by boat either and there were plenty of transient public docks with meters. Bolton Landing was another nice destination by boat. Sun Castle was located conveniently between both towns.
There also a castle which houses an inn and gourmet restaurant and several smaller villas on the property.
There is also a heated swimming pool.
Highly recommended. We shall return!

Stayed June 2006