“A bit run down”

Ranked #24 of 87 Hotels in Lake George
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
“A bit run down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed in one of the villas for one week. The villas have a nice layout with large windows facing the water and a huge deck and great views. As mentioned by others the furniture of the villas is quite old and outdated (one lamp not working, loose tiles in the bathroom, ...) but the beds have been comfy so we didn't care much. We only had tiny fridge (dorm room type size) which was quite annoying, just not enough space to store the food for four people!
Towel service did not work only after calling twice!
The front desk staff for the villas and townhouses was unfriendly and kind of rude.
Our biggest problem were the docks. They are old and not well taken care of and there are constantly waves coming in because of all the boat traffic on the lake. If you have a larger boat you will get the docking space facing the lake and the waves will constantly rock your boat and push it against the dock. So you need to bring lots of fenders or you can forget it.

The storage area for the kayaks and row boat war really filthy.

In general, this place appears run down. This would not be an issue for us because it is still a nice location but for the price we paid you have to expect more. The more accurate rating would be 2.5 but lets round up.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank rennsemmi

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed in one of the villas the week of June 9, 2013. Generally, the villa was in a state of disrepair:

- Dated furniture and stained carpeting.
- Screen door was not closing properly - scraped the deck preventing it from closing
- Entrance steps flooded when it rained causing us to get our shoes drenched. To maintenance's credit they came out to dig a trench to relieve water backup.
- Bedroom light bulb burned out (was replaced by maintenance with another CFL but replacement bulb was also malfunctioning - we gave up)
- Outdoor gas grill was never cleaned - still had burned food on bottom of grill - really disgusting

Towel service was poor. We were given specific Instructions to leave towels on front porch which would be picked up daily between 10 am and 1 pm. Never picked up. Had to call to get service.

Wi-Fi was atrocious. Did not work well at all as it suffered from slow speeds and constant disconnects. We had to go to Glens Falls Verizon store and purchase a Jet pack added to my cell phone plan to get internet service.

General hint to those thinking of vacationing in Lake George - This in not Nevada or Southern California where the weather is generally not a concern and booking months in advance is a "safe" bet. Your experience is going to be totally dependent on the weather. Except for quick showers, rain will spoil your vacation as there is practically nothing to do indoors in Lake George or surrounding areas. Therefore, I would not book in advance hoping to catch a streak of good weather. Play it safe and book only when the forecast is good for your time there. You'll pay more for last minute bookings but it beats being rained out for several days as happened to us. It rained 4 out of 5 days the week we were there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MikeTweed
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed in the townhouses for the second year in a row and had just as good an experience as the first time around. We have also stayed at the Inn at various times of the year and love the ambiance, service and food. We celebrated my 50th birthday dinner at the inn and were treated to the private dining room for six of us...and this on very short notice. Food was some of the best we have had, anywhere, so just be sure to make your reservations for dinner ahead of time just as you would for any upscale restaurant in high demand and there should be no problem. Also, we rented dock space for our boat...be sure to bring bumpers...you will need them as the Horicon and Mohican create large waves as they pass by on their tours of significant properties all day. We have always found the staff responsive to our requests and our townhouses have always been immaculate. Since we were there last August (2012) around the same time as some of the other folks, not sure why their experiences differed so much.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Albany, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

I had a terrible experience trying to make reservations here for my wedding. When I originally booked my wedding in the area, I was told by the reservations manager, Debbie Regan, that she could reserve as many townhomes or villas as needed for my wedding guests--and to simply let her know when we had more information. She provided me with all of the prices and information to secure reservations, all of which I typed up and entered into our wedding website. When I tried to contact her two months later to secure the townhomes and villas (10 months before the wedding), I was told she no longer worked there and I was informed that the entire property was placed on hold due to an event the owner was holding the same weekend. I asked when the hold would be released and if I would still be able to reserve rooms there, and was told they did not know, but that I would come second to the other guests. As a bride-to-be, it was incredibly frustrating to be told they would accommodate me one month and then tell me I'm no longer a priority the next month. I was then encouraged to reserve rooms at the business owner's other property, which is a fairly run-down motel in town. We had several family members and friends coming from out of state--some in the military coming from other countries-- and the last thing we wanted was to be pushed to the other (and frankly, cheaper) property. Why would I support the business of someone who disregarded my prior request and placed me on the back burner with no notice? As a result, I had to start from scratch and find a completely different property (which has been wonderfully accommodating). If you're a bride-to-be who does NOT want to be a priority, this is the spot for you.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Erin R
Pembroke Pines, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

We rented a townhouse for several nights in early September.

These were not working when we arrived at our unit:

- Rear glass door lock
- Wi-Fi
- Dish washer soap dispenser
- Gas fireplace
- Bose sound system connected to TV

PROs:
- The townhouse was spotless with a modern kitchen, a comfortable bed in the master bedroom. No insects or bugs anywhere in the unit, except for one strange bug we found in the second bathroom near the end of our stay.

- Spacious kitchen, dining area and living room

- Outstanding customer service. Every problem and needed repair that we brought to the new manager’s, Ann, attention was quickly addressed in a professional, competent, and friendly manner. A special Thank You to Shannon who fixed the Wi-Fi, dishwasher, and fireplace. When we were departing a gardener noticed us carrying our luggage to the car. We hadn’t even seen him. He came to us and offered to help with the bags. Much appreciated.

- Two covered porch decks
- Large jacuzzi in the master bedroom

- Excellent soundproofing in the common wall between two adjoining townhouses.

- A/C works well for heating and cooling

- Access to the Housekeeping Building let us get whatever supplies we required, without having to ask anyone. The door was open and the room empty.

CONs:
- The “panoramic views from every room” pictures on the resort website are seen from the Inn at Erlowest at the castle, not from the townhouses or villas.

- Limited view of the lake from the townhouses. Large trees block much of the view. We were told that we were assigned this townhouse because of the “unobstructed view.” The narrow angle of view we had was unobstructed, but to see more of the lake required a trip up to the deck on the castle or down to the water’s edge. If a lake view is important to you, then one of the smaller villas down on the water is where you want to be, or in a room in the Castle.

- Cell phone service is spotty in the townhouses. It works in some rooms and not others. The best signal was obtained on the porch.

- No privacy on the porches. The porches for each townhouse adjoin the neighboring porch with only a low rail between the two. I’ve posted a picture to show this.

- Very dim lighting in second bedroom. So dark can’t see into the bottom drawers. Yes, really.

- Five items broken on arrival. Does not anyone check the unit before admitting the latest renters?

- The front doors do not have electronic locks, but the old manual keys. A larcenous renter could make a copy of a townhouse key and use it to gain entrance at a later time.

- No unreserved parking down by the two small beaches for visiting the shore. All space is assigned to units.

- A very (for us) steep walk down the slope to the lake.

- The shower curtain in the narrow shower/tub is so long it extends onto the surface of the tub. It can become slippery if stepped on while taking a shower.

The castle is known for weddings. It is a beautiful venue. But on weekends, weather permitting, if there is a wedding their music is played on the castle patio until about 11:00 PM. Not good for light sleepers. If you want a quiet weekend getaway and you rent on a wedding night, ask for a unit far away from the castle.

One night while relaxing with the TV we were startled by the sound of explosions outside. A professional fireworks display was in progress a short distance from our townhouse. The next day the office told me it was a “surprise for the bride”. Us too. Non-wedding guests should have been warned in advance for their own peace of mind and safety. Getting badly startled by the sound of explosions could easily have caused a serious accident if we were doing something potentially dangerous at that moment, such as carrying a pot of hot water, getting out of the tub, etc. etc.

Would we rent there again?
No, not in a townhouse because of the limited lake view. Perhaps a villa for a brief stay even though they have no clothes washer/dryer and no dishwasher. The ideal choice would be the Inn at Erlowest in the castle itself. A gorgeous set of rooms with superb lake views. The elegant room pictures are all at the Inn, not the townhouses or villas.
If not the Inn, then we would search through the dozens of other accommodations on the Lake on the West shore.

Room Tip: For the best view of Lake George chose either the Inn or a Villa.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CenVillager316
Ottsville, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

The rooms in the villas are nicely laid out and spacious; the decks are large and offer outstanding lake views. That's about the only positives I could find. The bedding, mattresses, sofa and sofa bed are disgusting. Should have all been replaced years ago. My sister and brother woke up with sore muscles after one night on the pull out sofa. I attempted to relax in a jacuzzi tub but most of the knobs were falling off - so much for a relaxing bath. The remote controls either didn't work or had dead batteries. When checking out, I requested a copy of my bill and stopped in at the Erlowest Inn front desk. Well, excuse me! You would think I was rift-raft off the street and sent up to the office on the hill; the Inn has nothing to do with the villas. I went to said office and waited 10 minutes for someone to appear. Finally, I went back to the snob at the Inn and he said "well, she probably stepped away." I said well I want a copy of my bill - his response was "she is probably helping another guest." Fuming by this point, not only because of the nilly-willy operation but his unmitigated arrogance. I told him that I would never return or recommend the place and he (and others) could read my review on the internet. His response: "that's fine." Please research - you can do much better for the money you would spend here.

Room Tip: The Villas are treated like errant stepchildren by staff at the Inn.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank jacqcris
Long Beach, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed at the Villa for 3 nights in August and in general it was very clean and nice. You are paying for the AMAZING panoramic view! It doesn't get much better than this. My boyfriend and I are more into boutiques hotels, so this was very far from our norm, but we knew that is what to be expected when visiting Lake George.

The villa was very clean, but seemed to lack the necessities that a family would need. We constantly asked for towels, paper goods, and as a couple who likes to cook, 1 frying pan didn't do justice!

We felt like they needed to do a more level detail. Every Monday night they have a free bbq for their guests, but we wouldn't have known that if it wasn't for Trip Advisor ratings posting that as a positive for their resort. So we were one of the few families enjoying incredibly free food! Would have been nice to mingle with others rather than feeling like a mooch

Although they have 4 kayaks, the are not the best and if this is a family resort, the likelihood of getting all 4 at one time is very slim to none.

As far as a game room, there is a foos ball table with no ball, so you can't even play!

Those are my negatives..the positive is that you're in a great area, right on the lake and only 5 minutes into town. The Villa is VERY CLEAN!!!! The pool is very clean, great slide, and large enough to relax in the pool or even poolside

If you can afford to splurge, I would do the Townhouse as I hear they are very modern and beautiful!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family