We rented a townhouse for several nights in early September.
These were not working when we arrived at our unit:
- Rear glass door lock
- Dish washer soap dispenser
- Gas fireplace
- Bose sound system connected to TV
- The townhouse was spotless with a modern kitchen, a comfortable bed in the master bedroom. No insects or bugs anywhere in the unit, except for one strange bug we found in the second bathroom near the end of our stay.
- Spacious kitchen, dining area and living room
- Outstanding customer service. Every problem and needed repair that we brought to the new manager’s, Ann, attention was quickly addressed in a professional, competent, and friendly manner. A special Thank You to Shannon who fixed the Wi-Fi, dishwasher, and fireplace. When we were departing a gardener noticed us carrying our luggage to the car. We hadn’t even seen him. He came to us and offered to help with the bags. Much appreciated.
- Two covered porch decks
- Large jacuzzi in the master bedroom
- Excellent soundproofing in the common wall between two adjoining townhouses.
- A/C works well for heating and cooling
- Access to the Housekeeping Building let us get whatever supplies we required, without having to ask anyone. The door was open and the room empty.
- The “panoramic views from every room” pictures on the resort website are seen from the Inn at Erlowest at the castle, not from the townhouses or villas.
- Limited view of the lake from the townhouses. Large trees block much of the view. We were told that we were assigned this townhouse because of the “unobstructed view.” The narrow angle of view we had was unobstructed, but to see more of the lake required a trip up to the deck on the castle or down to the water’s edge. If a lake view is important to you, then one of the smaller villas down on the water is where you want to be, or in a room in the Castle.
- Cell phone service is spotty in the townhouses. It works in some rooms and not others. The best signal was obtained on the porch.
- No privacy on the porches. The porches for each townhouse adjoin the neighboring porch with only a low rail between the two. I’ve posted a picture to show this.
- Very dim lighting in second bedroom. So dark can’t see into the bottom drawers. Yes, really.
- Five items broken on arrival. Does not anyone check the unit before admitting the latest renters?
- The front doors do not have electronic locks, but the old manual keys. A larcenous renter could make a copy of a townhouse key and use it to gain entrance at a later time.
- No unreserved parking down by the two small beaches for visiting the shore. All space is assigned to units.
- A very (for us) steep walk down the slope to the lake.
- The shower curtain in the narrow shower/tub is so long it extends onto the surface of the tub. It can become slippery if stepped on while taking a shower.
The castle is known for weddings. It is a beautiful venue. But on weekends, weather permitting, if there is a wedding their music is played on the castle patio until about 11:00 PM. Not good for light sleepers. If you want a quiet weekend getaway and you rent on a wedding night, ask for a unit far away from the castle.
One night while relaxing with the TV we were startled by the sound of explosions outside. A professional fireworks display was in progress a short distance from our townhouse. The next day the office told me it was a “surprise for the bride”. Us too. Non-wedding guests should have been warned in advance for their own peace of mind and safety. Getting badly startled by the sound of explosions could easily have caused a serious accident if we were doing something potentially dangerous at that moment, such as carrying a pot of hot water, getting out of the tub, etc. etc.
Would we rent there again?
No, not in a townhouse because of the limited lake view. Perhaps a villa for a brief stay even though they have no clothes washer/dryer and no dishwasher. The ideal choice would be the Inn at Erlowest in the castle itself. A gorgeous set of rooms with superb lake views. The elegant room pictures are all at the Inn, not the townhouses or villas.
If not the Inn, then we would search through the dozens of other accommodations on the Lake on the West shore.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Adirondack Park, Sun Castle Resort offers over 1,000 feet of lake front property on beautiful Lake George, NY. Our townhouses and villas offer a variety of services with wonderful views of the lake and the Adirondack mountains. Our townhouses are two story buildings with full kitchen, family room, 2-bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths. The kitchens include full size refrigerator, stove and oven with a dishwasher along with a eat at kitchen bar. A dining table separates the kitchen from the family room space where many units include a gas fireplace. Family rooms enjoy large screen televisions and a deck facing Lake George. The master bedrooms have king size beds and a private bathroom. Many have private decks facing the lake. The guest bed rooms offer either queen size or two-twin beds depending on the unit. A bedroom entrance to the hallway bath provides privacy to the guest bedroom. Our villas are one story units that bring back memories of visiting the lake as a child. More rustic than the townhouses, the villas offer two bedrooms, and one or two baths depending on the unit. A large family room space faces the lake with outstanding views of the lake and mountains. Apartment size kitchens are available. Townhouses and villas are air conditioned and have heat. The property includes two beaches and playgrounds with spacious yard areas. Docks are available for daily or weekly rental and can accommodate boats of unto 35' in length and 12+' beams. An outdoor, heated pool along with complementary kayaks complete the water play activities for Sun Castle Resort guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda and Expedia so you can book your Sun Castle Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sun Castle Hotel Lake George