“The ONLY thing this hotel has going for it is the view....”
Review of Sun Castle Resort

and 1 more site!
Sun Castle Resort
Ranked #27 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The rooms in the villas are nicely laid out and spacious; the decks are large and offer outstanding lake views. That's about the only positives I could find. The bedding, mattresses, sofa and sofa bed are disgusting. Should have all been replaced years ago. My sister and brother woke up with sore muscles after one night on the pull out sofa. I attempted to relax in a jacuzzi tub but most of the knobs were falling off - so much for a relaxing bath. The remote controls either didn't work or had dead batteries. When checking out, I requested a copy of my bill and stopped in at the Erlowest Inn front desk. Well, excuse me! You would think I was rift-raft off the street and sent up to the office on the hill; the Inn has nothing to do with the villas. I went to said office and waited 10 minutes for someone to appear. Finally, I went back to the snob at the Inn and he said "well, she probably stepped away." I said well I want a copy of my bill - his response was "she is probably helping another guest." Fuming by this point, not only because of the nilly-willy operation but his unmitigated arrogance. I told him that I would never return or recommend the place and he (and others) could read my review on the internet. His response: "that's fine." Please research - you can do much better for the money you would spend here.

Room Tip: The Villas are treated like errant stepchildren by staff at the Inn.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank jacqcris

Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed at the Villa for 3 nights in August and in general it was very clean and nice. You are paying for the AMAZING panoramic view! It doesn't get much better than this. My boyfriend and I are more into boutiques hotels, so this was very far from our norm, but we knew that is what to be expected when visiting Lake George.

The villa was very clean, but seemed to lack the necessities that a family would need. We constantly asked for towels, paper goods, and as a couple who likes to cook, 1 frying pan didn't do justice!

We felt like they needed to do a more level detail. Every Monday night they have a free bbq for their guests, but we wouldn't have known that if it wasn't for Trip Advisor ratings posting that as a positive for their resort. So we were one of the few families enjoying incredibly free food! Would have been nice to mingle with others rather than feeling like a mooch

Although they have 4 kayaks, the are not the best and if this is a family resort, the likelihood of getting all 4 at one time is very slim to none.

As far as a game room, there is a foos ball table with no ball, so you can't even play!

Those are my negatives..the positive is that you're in a great area, right on the lake and only 5 minutes into town. The Villa is VERY CLEAN!!!! The pool is very clean, great slide, and large enough to relax in the pool or even poolside

If you can afford to splurge, I would do the Townhouse as I hear they are very modern and beautiful!

4  Thank SuzieQtee
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed at the Sun Castle Resort this August. The Villas were overall very nice and a perfect location to the lake. The pool and kayaks were great. The Villa had some dirty dishes and crumbs left in some of the cabinets and hair on one of the bedroom sheets, but overall the Villa itself was in good condition. And like prior ratings, Debbie at the front desk is very helpful. Our HUGE disappointment was not being allowed access to the on-site restaurant at the INN. When we booked our reservation in May, we were told we had access to this wonderful establishment. And the day we arrived the "welcome book" references the INN and "recommends" reservations but doesn't require them in advance. They also referenced a lounge happy hour with tapas. When we walked over to the INN we were told the Hotel Owners made "a policy change two weeks ago" and Townhouse and Villa guests could no longer enjoy the benefits of the INN. The staff there was very apologetic and looked embarrassed to turn us away; they said they would love to accommodate us as long as the owners agreed. We were put in touch with one of the owners, Kathy, who long story short said there was nothing she could do. She said breakfast was never offered to the Townhouse & Villa guests (yet I have their brochure that states otherwise). They discontinued the "light fare" menu(or tapas) menu a couple of weeks before our arrival and they allow dinner and breakfast only to their 24 guests at the Inn. She further said she could squeeze us in for dinner but was afraid we would be disappointed because the chef was only prepared for the 24 guests staying at the INN. Are you kidding me? This is the owner and she has such little confidence in her chef? They book weddings there, however I would not recommend it when the owner thinks her chef can't manage an additional 4 adults and 3 kids(under 7). We (townhouse/villa guests) were treated like 2nd class citizens due to a policy change; of which we were never notified. The Villa and Townhouse owners also own the INN. Since they made no effort to right a wrong, I cannot recommend this resort. The staff is great! The owners are not..... should you choose to book here, pray nothing goes wrong and you should be okay.

7  Thank JennyGirl11768
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Love the Sun Castle, it's a nice get away for 2 days at Lake George. Rooms was beautiful, very victorian style. Had my room facing the lake - Horicon Suite. There are 10 guest suites. Eventhough the price was a little on a high side, it's worth treating yourself. Castle was built in the 1800. Very well kept.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Our extended family of 19 people, including adults and children stayed in the condos at Sun Castle for an extended weekend in early August. We dont get together very often, and this reuion was in honor of our parents 80th birthdays, so we wanted everything to be perfect, and so it was. We were looking for a place where everyone could hang out together, cook meals, watch the children and play and swim on the beach. This place was just what we had in mind. The condos were attractively furnished and well appointed. We had a celebratory dinner in the Inn and the food was delicious. Our experience at Sun Castle exceeded all of our expactations. Thank you so much, Debbie and staff!
M & RB

Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was our second year staying at Sun Castle. Last year we stayed in a villa and this year we stayed in the townhouse. The townhouse was very large and clean the only thing about the townhouse is there is really no privacy because the balcony is right next to the other neighbors balcony. It would be fine if it were your friends or extended family. It was still a wonderful week but the next time we go back we just prefer the privacy of the villa.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We were in Lake George for two nights and had planned to stay at another property. We were immensely disappointed with our choice (please see my list of reviews if you would like to know which one it was) so we began a search around the area to see if we could rustle up a night elsewhere that was slightly better quality. We came upon the Sun Castle Resort and wondered if we should even bother to ask about prices because it looked quite expensive. We were pleasantly surprised to find that the rooms were actually very reasonably priced and we quickly booked a room villa for the night. A quick thank you to Debbie for helping this walk-in situation run smoothly!

The property itself is probably the most attractive one that I have seen in Lake George. There is a large grey stone building at the top of the hill overlooking the water and beneath it are the villas. They are lined up almost in tiers going down the hill and they are very attractive to look at even from the outside. Our villa was spotless and offered a stunning view of the lake and the mountains behind it from the balcony on which we enjoyed dinner. There is a propane grill outside of every villa which worked perfectly as well as a fully equipped kitchen. The beds were comfortable and this included the sofabed. If you read some of my other reviews, you will see that I am particularly hard on sofabeds because I am a tall, reasonably muscular person and I will usually sink down to the bars on a sofabed. Not this one. Nothing but mattress all night long.

The beach on the property is small but it's still fun to be on. You can go beyond the rope barrier and be alright. There was a goodly number of kayaks available for free usage as well as 2 rowboats and a couple or 3 canoes. One word of caution, if you decide to kayak, avoid the black paddles if they are still there; the middle connectors were broken and they would shift in your hand as you tried to paddle. A simple swap of paddles took care of this problem.

You may notice that I have not given full marks to the swimming pool. The only reason I did not believe that it merited full marks was that it was smallish and there was a rope down the middle separating the deep end and the shallow end which made it difficult to swim laps or, in our case, play Marco Polo. Also, the sign in the pool clearly said that the pool closed at a certain time (I forget exactly what time!) and we went to go swimming. After about 40 minutes, we were informed that the pool was closing then and that we would have to leave. It was done very politely by employee but this took place about 30-45 minutes before the posted closing time. He was very apologetic and said he understood the error on the sign and acknowledged that it needed to be fixed but it was still a little bit irritating. It was no huge deal though and a good word must be said about the cleanliness of the pool and the pool deck as well as the waterslide in the deep end. Another good thing, from this traveler's point of view, is that there was a legitimate deep end and not just 5 feet. I believe that it got to 8 or 9 feet. Let's just say that at 6'1" I was a long ways away from touching the bottom!

This property is certainly not the cheapest property in the Lake George region but I believe that during our stay, it was worth every penny we paid.

2  Thank ryandvy