“Great Place to Stay!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lake George
The Balsam Motel & Cottages
Ranked #35 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Reviewed July 16, 2010

We've been coming here since 2000. We keep coming back because we love the rooms and they way we're treated. We have 2 boys ages 7 and 3. This is the only place they know. The rooms are neat,clean, safe, quiet. and a great price. We've been here since 7/6/2010 and we leave in a few days. We've spent most of our time in the pool and we've NEVER heard any of the cat calls reported by the other poster. We're there from 10 am until 5pm. In fact, in 10 yrs., we've NEVER had any issues at the pool or any other areas of the hotel. The kids have never had trouble sleeping during naps or at night. I've stayed at places closer to "downtown" and had to listen to endless hooting and hollaring by the drunks coming back from the club at all hours of the night, That doesn't happen here and its only a 15 minute walk to downtown. If want to be pampered and have a spa feel, this is not the place for you. Come and see for yourself. You won't be disappointed..

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank phlemboy1

Reviewed July 12, 2010

We chose this place based on price and reviews found here. BIG MISTAKE. This place is TINY and crunched in between a larger 2 story motel and a noisy, smelly restaurant. Their pool is right next to the street and sidewalk. This lead to incidences of hormonal males walking by and cat calling several (underage) females lounging nearby. Not something I wanted to expose my young daughter to. Rooms....tiny and dirty. OMG there where animal and human hairs everywhere...not to mention the wet dog smell. Luckily none of us are allergic, which couldn't be said for the other unfortunate guests I socialized with. Only redeeming qualities of this place was location and parking. Next time we'll just reserve a downtown parking lot space and sleep in our car.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank shellibelli201
Reviewed July 10, 2010

I'm not one to sign up and give reviews but I stayed at the Balsam last week and was looking to go again next year and I found the review written by sas33358. I''m not sure what sas33358 thought this was going to be, but it's not a five star resort and doesn't claim to be. This is a family owned business and the owners couldn't have been more polite and courteous. The rooms were certainly not dirty and the Balsam stands out in my mind, as one the quietest and most comfortable places to stay in Lake George. I've stayed in a lot of places in the area and I like the Balsam for a lot of reasons. And the beds are not bad. This is not a Holiday Inn with room service. This is a nice, peaceful, relaxing place and to me the cottages are very comfortable. I guess I'm just not as stuck up as some people but I think these are reasonable rooms for reasonable rates and I have and will continue to recommend the Balsam. Some of my friends have stayed here and they have only had good things to say as well. I'm going to have them write some reviews too because people should appreciate the Balsam more than sas33358. But, I guess that's just my opinion.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ilovelg
Reviewed June 7, 2010

our hosts are very accommodating,the location is off the end of the village, yet we walk everywhere. it works out perfect with our dog. i have read other reviews and all i can say is when there is a problem at the corporate hotel does the OWNER help you? you are lucky if the manager is there.a good friend said to try a "mom and pop" place. he was right. we have stayed at the balsam 5 times and will again. pete, nancy, and cora

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank doverplains
Reviewed February 6, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Balsam Motel in June 2009 and again in July. I am so glad that we found this place and we will never stay at any other motel when we visit Lake George! The cottages are extremely clean, cozy and very homey. The motel is very conveniently located; close to the beach, close to the village and many other locations that you would normally go to visit in Lake George. The owners, George and Suzanne are so very helpful and so friendly. My boyfriend and I found ourselves visiting the office quite often to ask advice on where we should go or certain things we should do while staying there; and they were always extremely helpful, and even offered us some coupons for free mini golf and menus for local restaurants. I can’t believe that anyone would ever have a bad experience while staying at the Balsam Motel! In fact, once my boyfriend and I left, we wanted to go back and found ourselves missing “our” little cottage, as soon as we left. We cannot wait to go back again this year!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SMartin86
Reviewed September 21, 2009

My family stayed at the Balsam in one of the cottages. We booked there because they accepted pets and we have an old dog that doesn't do well in kennels. The owners were very friendly and helpful on the phone but the cottage needs some work. It was relatively neat but lacked a few amenities. The beds were the worst problem-terrible to sleep on! During our trip my husband was chatting with a store clerk and when he mentioned where we were staying, she asked if the beds had gotten any better. She had never stayed there but apparently this is a known issue in town. It was a one room cottage which we were told on the phone. There was a queen (?) , a double and a rollaway cot provided for my husband, myself and our two teenagers. There was only two lamps in the entire "room" both on the same side-it was dark. There was a kitchen and bathroom that was neat but needed cleaning and some upgrades. I was told that the outdoor, heated pool would be open but when my son wanted to swim the pool was very cold and not useable. It was not heated very well if at all. We did stay for three nights as we were not sure where else to go with the dog. As stated the people were nice but we will not be returning when in the area again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank familyof4964
Reviewed September 19, 2009

This place is a different than all the others on the Lake George strip. Tall trees with thick canopy completely cover the grounds giving it a woodsy feel. Our room was at the end on the 2nd floor with partial views of the lake. The rooms were basic, but clean. It had a refrigerator which was very useful. It worked well for our purposes. There were cobwebs on the wooden staircases. Some people may see rustic charm in it, others might think it's neglect. It didn't bother me much. The owners are very nice -- friendly and helpful. The beach (very small) was about a 50-yard walk. Unforunately it was rainy and cloudy during our trip so we couldn't really dip into the lake, nor could we indulge in any star-gazing. They had fireworks on Thursday night which we saw from the beach. They were surprisingly good (better than many July 4th fireworks Ive seen).

The main problem is Lake George Village itself. It is not for me. It is full of t-shirt/tchotcke/ice-cream shops and restaurants. Ho hum. The lake itself is gorgeous and when we took a cruise I noticed lots of nice secluded houses on the oher side of the lake. So if we go there again I would keep 2 things in mind - 1) Go earlier in the summer. 2) Go with a couple of other families and rent a house/cabin on the lake from a private owner away from the town and only head into Lake George Village to get lunch/dinner.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family