“A beautiful wedding”

The Inn at Erlowest
Ranked #1 of 25 Lake George B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 18, 2013

What a setting for a wedding. The autumn leaves are turning, the Adirondacks are all around. Wow. The Inn could not have been better in their presentation for this event. The wedding on the vast front porch, the lovely banquet room, the friendly and accommodating staff. Even the after-wedding fire on the porch. Truly spectacular. I did not see the rooms/suites but I heard they were excellent. Kudos.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 6, 2013

The Inn at Erlowest is gorgeous, but I was disappointed in my stay there. The lakefront in front of the inn is occupied by a resort, which spoinls the view and makes you feel as though you're in a suburban development. The staff is pleasant and generally helpful, but don't seem to be up to providing the promised level of service. Our room hadn't been properly aired, we could only open our casement windows with the help of a handle filched from an adjoining room and a Swiss aremy knife. Maintenance was called but never responded. One of the screens had a broken frame. Toiletries were incomplete (no body lotion, a partially used bottle of shampoo). The outdoor bar area beneath our windows was noisy late into the evening. All in all, not worth the expense.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Helga B
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I did not use the pool nor the fitmess center so I will not comment...both were clean and well maintained as an observation.
The Inn is gorgeous, welll maintained and the guest rooms well appointed with plush towels and bed linens. Retrofitting an old building is never easy, having stayed in many, but they managed to maintain the late Victorian ambiance whilst providing modern convenience!
Breakfast is included and it is a full menu with many choices and delicious!
We also had dinner which was just as wonderful.
I want to send a shout out to Joanne at the front desk with whom we had most of our interactions...she is charming, friendly and a delight to deal with for anything you may need. Also everyone in the dining room was great, housekeeping...you get the picture! The only problem was that we didn't stay LONGER!!
Denise and Roc Waters

Room Tip: There are lake view rooms but all rooms are lovely.
1  Thank DW555
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed here for a late 1st anniversary celebration, a gift from my parents. This hotel is AMAZING! It truly looks like a small, old castle on high, overlooking beautiful Lake George. The staff goes out of their way to make you happy and feel like royalty. We stayed in the Montcalm room, which blew me away. The room is cozy with full features, including a large jacuzzi, fireplace, DVD player, incredibly comfortable king-size bed, bath robes, and a private balcony/terrace that literally wraps around the side of the building. The private balcony offers beautiful views of Lake George, the outdoor fireplace (fires each night after dark), and so much more. The hotel has a small, private beach and a large (and deep) swimming pool with a slide. The hotel is well secluded off the main road and each room has its own designated parking space.

With the Montcalm room, you also get free champagne and a cheese platter (we paid extra and also got chocolate covered strawberries). Breakfast (included) consists of muffins and pastries (unlimited) and a delicious sit-down breakfast menu which was delicious. We also ate dinner at the Inn and while the menu is limited and a bit pricey for some, it was totally worth the extra $$ - the food was prepared and plated in 5-star fashion and it was delicious.

This hotel is well worth the money, and I definitely suggest the Montcalm room - you won't be disappointed. It's less than a 5 minute drive into the village but secluded enough where you'll be able to have that romantic getaway you've been looking for.

Room Tip: Choose the Montcalm. One of the most expensive rooms, but it's completely worth it.
1  Thank mstrctrlprgm
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We just came back after spending two nights at the Inn. We were celebrating our 44th anniversary. We stayed in the Lake George Room that had very nice view of the lake. The room itself was quite large and well appointed. The bathroom was also quite large with a hot tub and a very large shower for two! The Inn itself is well maintained and very elegant. Parking is in front of the Inn only a few steps from the door. Our favorite time was in the evening on the couch in front of the fireplace on the patio. A roaring fire was maintained well into the evening and every night we met other couples staying at the Inn and had a wonderful time talking and getting to meet them. Even though there was a wedding our last night there we were not bothered in any way. Finally we did have dinner at the Inn on our second evening. It was not quite the experience we had expected but still the food was quite good. We would highly recommend the Inn especially if you want a quiet retreat away from the kids!

1  Thank Anthony C
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The location and view were spectacular.Alexis, the event planner, who took over late in our planning process, went above and beyond to attend to every detail. The food was well prepared and delicious. Everyone enjoyed the wedding. Our family did stay at the inn while many of our guests stayed at other hotels in the area as this was a destination wedding for the majority of guests. The rooms were nice but did need some minor repairs...missing handles on dressers...drapes that were difficult to close. Breakfast was excellent and staff could not have been nicer.it is a really lovely venue. I do have a couple of suggestions. Get a steamer...they are reasonable and needed especially for the bridal party . It would also be helpful to have additional enhancements or the ability to build your food package. One plan seemed a little sparse and the others had elements we didn't want. We were pleased with our end results but wished there were more options. One other confusion was the 20% service charge tacked on to the food bill..in our world this is the gratuity .....but it was unclear.
All in all...a lovely affair and stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed here over the July 4th weekend, and I was reluctant to write a review as the Inn is lovely and we so were looking forward to our visit, especially after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, but we were disappointed. We have visited Saratogo every August for over 25 years and usually when there, we would spend at day at Lake George. Two years ago, we decided to stay at Lake George instead of Saratoga. It was during this visit that the Inn at Erlowest was recommended to us for fine dining. We had dinner there and loved it. We did not know that the Inn had accommodations until the waiter told us. When we left that evening, we decided that when we visited Lake George again, we would stay at the Inn. I viewed the website and the rooms and of course, read the reviews on Trip Advisor prior to booking. The website did not mention a pool, and since we enjoy swimming and relaxing pool side, I was pleasantly surprised when I called the Inn to find out they had an outdoor pool and a beach on Lake George. Originally, we were only going to reserve for 1 night, but since they had a pool, we booked for 3 nights.

We selected the Montcalm Suite because it had a private balcony and full view of Lake George. This suite is not the largest nor the best for the price, but the view is great and the private balcony was appealing to us. We were really looking forward to going to this perfect place to celebrate my mates Birthday and had really high expectations. My mate is an actor and entertainer, and we are well-seasoned travelers as we have both been all over the world and can rightly say that we have stayed in the very best of hotels and cruise lines with elaborate accommodations and amenities. I say this because when I write a review, it is knowlegeable and accurate.

The staff at the Inn is the best of the best. Jo Ann M., Marie, Ann the Chambermaid, Tom the Manager, the Waiters and Bartenders are all excellent and deserve high praises. The breakfast is delicious and throughout the day there is coffee, tea, pastries, ice water and at 4:00 p.m. the most delicious soup to enjoy. When you arrive, there is a lovely cheese, fruit, crackers platter and champagne delivered to your room. Very nice touch. So far so good.

The Montcalm Suite is on the 2nd floor, not large, but surrounded by windows with a perfect view of Lake George. The suite has a very large and deep jacuzzi, but it is very difficult to get in and out of it especially if you are only 5 feet l inch tall. There should be a handle that you could use for convenience and safety. We have a similar large jacuzzi at home, but we have 2 steps up and a handle because it is so deep. The closet is quite small and narrow especially since it has the iron and ironing board in it and the top shelf leaves very little room to put anything on it because the safe is there. If the ironing board and iron were on the side, you would probably be able to hang your clothes better. The sink in this bathroom is very low. Our toilet set cover on the last night fell off and woke us up from the noise. Fortunately it did not break, so I just put it off to the side. Upon arrival, I went to open the dresser drawers to unpack and the bottom two drawers were missing handles. Fortunately, 3 of the 4 handles were in the drawers. I did call the front desk and they sent up the maintenance man to repair this. He was able to put 3 handles on, but the 4th was missing parts, so we had to leave that draw open slightly so that we could use it. I also informed him that 2 bulbs were out, but he told me he couldn't replace them as they were out of those bulbs. I'd like to add here that at the rates they charge, this suite should have been properly checked and prepared prior to our arrival.

Now for our first disappointment. This Suite has a private balcony so it says on the website, but there is no picture of it and now we know why. True you have a private balcony, but you can not access it from the Suite. You need to go out of your Suite walk across a public seating area to the balcony. Once on the balcony the left side is public, but you open a gate on the right which has a sign that says "private" and now you are on your private balcony. Obviously, how private is it. You have to leave your suite and just over the gate are the other guests. The view from the balcony is the same view as from the windows of the suite. The front view is the Lake and mountains and the side is part of the lake and parking area. I really would not consider this a private balcony and can not understand why there wasn't a door from the room out to it. In addition, if people are on the public side of the private balcony, they are looking right into your Suite and you can hear their entire conversations. It would definitely be so much better if the public seating area was renovated to make the Montcalm Suite two rooms and then you really would have a private balcony. Upon viewing the other suites, the Howe Suite is the smallest and then the Montcalm Suite is next in size. If we did go back again to say, I would definitely select one of the larger suites which are much nicer except that they are in the back of the building with no view except of the parking lot or the roof. The Suite above the Montcalm has a front view of the Lake, but doesn't have too much of a window. Most of the larger suites are dark because they are at the back of the building.

Next disappointment. Since you know that there are only 10 suites and only couples, we thought if fully booked we would only be 20 adults at the Inn. This is somewhat true except for the bridal parties who are running up and down and in and out, taking pictures and all over the parlor that leads to our "private balcony" outside the Montcalm Suite and all over the outside balcony taking pictures, not to mention the children that are in the bridal parties running all around talking loudly and jumping all over the outside parlor furniture and banging the door that leads to the "private balcony". In essence, don't let the appeal of a private balcony sway you into selecting this suite. I understand that the Inn makes a lot of revenue from catering, but there should be a level to be maintained if you have other paying guests. Even with the suite door closed, you can still hear all this activity outside your door; and should you leave your suite, you have this traffic to contend with to get down the steps or to the elevator that the children are playing with. Don't get me wrong, we have children and grandchildren, but there is a level that should be maintained for everyone's enjoyment.

Now for our next disappointment. The outdoor pool which now I know why it is not pictured on the website. You have to be a part mountain goat to get to it. Fortunately, when I started out the front to see where it was, a couple saw me in my swimwear and warned me not to attempt the steep hill as he almost fell trying it, but to walk all around this steep path to get to it and/or the beach which was down even further. When my mate saw this, he knew there was no way he could make it to the pool and there was no way he could climb up the steep path to get back. In addition, the weekend was extremely hot, which made the trip even more tedious. Now my mate knew that he would not be enjoying any pool time on this trip. I slowly ventured down the steep path and thinking when I got there the pool was for the adults booked at the Inn and that it would be very relaxing, you could read and get some sun. No, no, no. On the property are townhomes which are rented out, so the pool was filled with babies, children and families. Now I understood why the couples who were at the Inn were not going to the pool. First the trip there and then there was no way you were relaxing with kids jumping, diving, splashing, crying, yelling, etc. In addition to this activity, parents were present with coolers and were drinking beers, yelling, talking across the pool to each other, and no one was watching or supervising these children in the pool. No life guard or attendent was there. It was a free for all. Not once did a staff member appear at the pool to view the goings on. I took a quick swim, tried to sit on a chair and relax, but that was not happening so now I hiked up the mountain and back to the Inn. Never did I imagine that I was going to be at a fine hotel with a public pool with drinking and occasional foul language as the drinking progressed. More importantly, I couldn't relax because I was busy watching the children as I did not want them to get hurt or drown. There was a sliding pond which the adults were going down and screaming and shouting at the top of their lungs. So much for a lovely elegant Inn for adults with a pool, beach, etc., etc., etc. I wonder if the Township Board of Lake George would approve of this unsupervised action???? When I got back to the Suite, I decided that I would go out on our "private balcony" and read a little. This wasn't a good idea as on the side of the balcony is a small play area for children with swings, etc., and there was a small family group there playing and running and yelling and talking, etc., so back inside where my mate spent his day since he couldn't walk to the pool. We found out from the maintence man that if someone was available they could drive you to the pool in a golf cart, but there was no phone at the pool area to call to get a cart to take you back. No return was not a good option!

We did have a wonderful dinner at the Inn which is once again open to the public. The dining room is lovely with only 10 tables which makes it very elegant and romantic. The menu and the food is excellent and well-prepared and served. Definitely treat yourself to dinner at the Inn. After dinner, you can go out to the patio and sit by the firepit and enjoy an after dinner drink. It is very pleasant even if there is a wedding reception going on.

Next negative. In the middle of the front windows of the Montcalm Suite is a window air conditioner. I was informed that they have central air, but it wasn't sufficient for the suites so they put in window air conditioners. I don't know why they didn't put in the ductless ones which are more efficient and don't take away the view. I also don't know why they put it in the front window when it would have been more appropriate on the side window which had shade. Now going to sleep for the night becomes a problem. You can't draw the drapes because if you do, you can't use the air conditioner. In addition, if you draw the drapes and leave them open where the air conditioner is, there is no shade above the air conditioner, so as soon as the sun rises, the sun is right in your face as the bed faces that window. After my mate and I trying to figure out what we should do, I remembered that I had some safety pins with me. So we closed the drapes up to the air conditioner and pinned the top part of the drapes closed to keep the sun out of our faces while trying to sleep and then pinned each side of the bottom of the drapes so that the air from the air conditioner could flow. Now who needs to be doing this for 3 nights when you are paying a high price for accommodations, and you reserved a Suite at a Hotel for Adults where you think it will be private, relaxing and enjoyable. Ask yourself, would you have been very disappointed and would you subject yourself to this again???

I don't know if we would stay at the Inn again especially in the summer as it offers nothing for couples like us who enjoy doing some swimming, sunning and relaxing. If we went back, we would only consider 1 night have dinner at the Inn but definitely not in the summer, perhaps in the fall.

The Inn is so lovely and elegant, I just hope I didn't waste my time writing this review with the sincere hope that management corrects these issues. You really need to employ someone at the pool as what is going on is very dangerous. You really need to view each Suite and bring the up to par. You also have to decide if the Inn is for couples or not. There are issues that really need attention. I believe you are an Historic Hotel, but not with these standards are you living up to that honor. Please restore this Inn to the elegance and quality that it deserves. After reading my review, you decide if you should spend your money to stay here. We think we would rather stay in Saratoga as they offer many truely elegant accommodations and amenities and just drive up to the Inn for dinner.

Room Tip: Don't select the Montcalm Suite based on the fact of a "private balcony".
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple