“The Perfect Place to Stay”

Colonel Williams Lake George Motel and Resort
Ranked #60 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
Connecticut
“The Perfect Place to Stay”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We just completed our third annual trip to Lake George in August 2012 with our two grandchildren and stayed at the Colonel Williams Resort each time. We highly recommend this resort motel for many reasons. The two-bedroom units are spacious and clean, the parking is convenient right at your door, the location is quiet being south of Lake George Village and close to The Magic Forest, and there are many activities at the resort, particularly the swimming pools and the beautiful children's play area. By the way, the room air conditioners are very quiet, which I appreciate since I am a light sleeper.

We have seen some negative reviews of this resort and feel these are not justified! This is a family owned facility and they ask only that you respect their property as you would your own. We have never had or seen any problems with their service or congeniality.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SMPConnecticut

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We' ve been visiting the Lake Georgw area for years and one of the main reasons is the Colonel Williams resort. It's close enough to the town to take advantage of all Lake George village has to offer, close to the shopping and restaurants of Queensbury, but yet quiet and peaceful. Relaxing by the pool or playing with the kids on the great playground is always fun. It's quiet the staff is friendly and you can always count on everything to be clean and orderly. We are already looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed June 2012
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Spent three days of our weeks vacation at Colonel Williams Resort. The grounds are beautifully
manicured. The outdoor pool,indoor pool and the rooms impeccable. Minutes from Lake George
Village...the outlets....and only 20 mins. from Saratoga Raceway. We will definitely go back again in August. We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert C
Clay, New York
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We made a 2 night reservation on July 10th, gave out our credit card info and out of the blue today someone who identified himself as an employee (Brian) called to say "it's racing season, we have 3 night minimums"! Not knowing who had called me I asked for an opportunity to call back and of course I got no answer. Several messages through their website since and I still haven't heard from them as to a confirmation number for my accepted and billed reservation or alternatively, a written explanation for them to renege. The Lake George Chamber of Commerce as well as the BBB will likely hear about this before it's over. This total lack of customer service is UNACCEPTABLE!

Larry L.

Room Tip: Choose anywhere else in Lake George!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Larry L
lgresort, Owner at Colonel Williams Lake George Motel and Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear Potential Customers,
I feel the need to respond to the negative reviews written about my parents’ place – Colonel Williams Resort. It disheartens me that out of the thousands of guests we have accommodated since opening in 1974, that the several online negative reviews would dissuade people/families from experiencing Colonel Williams Resort.
To start, I would like to address The Colonel’s (aka my father’s) rules and what some people would perceive as strictness. Yes, The Colonel runs a tight ship but that is for the safety for everyone on our property. It is also for the preservation of an establishment that has been run by my parents for over 40 years. My parents do care and pride themselves on the business they built from the ground up. This has actually been the main reason why guests come back year after year. Also, most guests find my father to be quite the character. Which he is, hence how he got his nickname in the first place.
Secondly, many guests do not truly realize that as owners, we must adhere to many New York State & Health Department Laws & Restrictions. And the Colonel takes that very seriously, some places may not, but he does. That is why there are signs everywhere because legally the laws have to be posted.
Lastly, we have the room & property rules/signs because we care about wear & tear and the cleanliness of our establishment.
That being said, Colonel Williams Resort is a small, safe and quiet family resort. It’s not in the village surrounded by hundreds of other people in adjacent motels, restaurants or sidewalk traffic. We are a mile and half south of the hustle and bustle of the village on 7 acres of property. If you have younger aged children and not teenagers (who would probably want to be in the village around the excitement) this is the place for you. If you want a causal, quiet, clean and up to date place, this is the place for you. If you want to stay at a resort that has been taken care of through the years by its owners because they care about their property then Colonel Williams Resort is the place for you.
I agree, our place isn’t for everyone and that’s ok…but if you feel that it is for you…please read the positive reviews about our place and then give us a call.

Travelers are raving about these Lake George hotels

Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Colonel Williams resort is a fantastic, completely immaculate place. It's beautiful, well organized, and very well kept, inside and out. Service is very good. It may have it's flaws, but as does every place. Colonel Williams resort is an excellent place to take your family, as it provides easy access to Lake George's many attractions. Though management may be strict, there are rules to be followed anywhere, and you must take this into consideration whilst planning your trip. Not once have I had a bad experience with Colonel Williams resort.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Putnam, Connecticut
Reviewed March 30, 2012

This place is scary. Very clean, yes, but don't touch ANYTHING. Even leaving your towel over a chair to dry is against the rules. The people that run this place are Looney Tunes. If you want to have an enjoyable Lake George vacation, then STAY ANYWHERE ELSE.

Room Tip: The only tip I can give you is to STAY AWAY....drive right by this place. Don't say you were not...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank Don D
lgresort, General Manager at Colonel Williams Lake George Motel and Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2012

Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed here in July 2011 for 5 nights....you read these other reviews and think okay, the kids must be unruly...but it's true. the place is nice...you know why...becuase you can't use it. Its like you are staying at someone's house.
You are walked to your hotel room, the person at check in shows you where to park your car. Which is nice to know you have an assigned spot.
however....you can't walk on the grass to get to the playground. they sprayed pesticide the day we were there so we couldn't even use the playground.
the close the pool early if no one is there...so don't plan on a swim after dinner. they claim the state regulates the pool rules but all the other hotels in the area can be open after 6 pm. they say the indoor pool is open until 7 or 8 but again if no one is there at 6 pm ( when you are at dinner) they shut it down for the night.
my daughter got sick one night and we needed extra towels and they owner was so rude about us asking for extras. I am not sure why they are in this business.
if you don't have kids and just need a place to stay you'll be fine...but think twice before taking your kids...you'll be stressed out worry about doing something wrong and having them watch you!
One more thing we didn't see a video room,... i think it was locked the whole time.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank Angela S
lgresort, Owner at Colonel Williams Lake George Motel and Resort, responded to this review, August 4, 2012