“A Hidden Treasure”

Ranked #60 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Montreal, Canada
“A Hidden Treasure”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Spent three days of our weeks vacation at Colonel Williams Resort. The grounds are beautifully
manicured. The outdoor pool,indoor pool and the rooms impeccable. Minutes from Lake George
Village...the outlets....and only 20 mins. from Saratoga Raceway. We will definitely go back again in August. We couldn't have asked for a better place to stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Clay, New York
Reviewed July 12, 2012

We made a 2 night reservation on July 10th, gave out our credit card info and out of the blue today someone who identified himself as an employee (Brian) called to say "it's racing season, we have 3 night minimums"! Not knowing who had called me I asked for an opportunity to call back and of course I got no answer. Several messages through their website since and I still haven't heard from them as to a confirmation number for my accepted and billed reservation or alternatively, a written explanation for them to renege. The Lake George Chamber of Commerce as well as the BBB will likely hear about this before it's over. This total lack of customer service is UNACCEPTABLE!

Larry L.

Room Tip: Choose anywhere else in Lake George!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Larry L
lgresort, Owner at Colonel Williams Lake George Motel and Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear Potential Customers,
I feel the need to respond to the negative reviews written about my parents’ place – Colonel Williams Resort. It disheartens me that out of the thousands of guests we have accommodated since opening in 1974, that the several online negative reviews would dissuade people/families from experiencing Colonel Williams Resort.
To start, I would like to address The Colonel’s (aka my father’s) rules and what some people would perceive as strictness. Yes, The Colonel runs a tight ship but that is for the safety for everyone on our property. It is also for the preservation of an establishment that has been run by my parents for over 40 years. My parents do care and pride themselves on the business they built from the ground up. This has actually been the main reason why guests come back year after year. Also, most guests find my father to be quite the character. Which he is, hence how he got his nickname in the first place.
Secondly, many guests do not truly realize that as owners, we must adhere to many New York State & Health Department Laws & Restrictions. And the Colonel takes that very seriously, some places may not, but he does. That is why there are signs everywhere because legally the laws have to be posted.
Lastly, we have the room & property rules/signs because we care about wear & tear and the cleanliness of our establishment.
That being said, Colonel Williams Resort is a small, safe and quiet family resort. It’s not in the village surrounded by hundreds of other people in adjacent motels, restaurants or sidewalk traffic. We are a mile and half south of the hustle and bustle of the village on 7 acres of property. If you have younger aged children and not teenagers (who would probably want to be in the village around the excitement) this is the place for you. If you want a causal, quiet, clean and up to date place, this is the place for you. If you want to stay at a resort that has been taken care of through the years by its owners because they care about their property then Colonel Williams Resort is the place for you.
I agree, our place isn’t for everyone and that’s ok…but if you feel that it is for you…please read the positive reviews about our place and then give us a call.

Travelers are raving about these Lake George hotels

Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Colonel Williams resort is a fantastic, completely immaculate place. It's beautiful, well organized, and very well kept, inside and out. Service is very good. It may have it's flaws, but as does every place. Colonel Williams resort is an excellent place to take your family, as it provides easy access to Lake George's many attractions. Though management may be strict, there are rules to be followed anywhere, and you must take this into consideration whilst planning your trip. Not once have I had a bad experience with Colonel Williams resort.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Putnam, Connecticut
Reviewed March 30, 2012

This place is scary. Very clean, yes, but don't touch ANYTHING. Even leaving your towel over a chair to dry is against the rules. The people that run this place are Looney Tunes. If you want to have an enjoyable Lake George vacation, then STAY ANYWHERE ELSE.

Room Tip: The only tip I can give you is to STAY AWAY....drive right by this place. Don't say you were not...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
11 Thank Don D
lgresort, General Manager at Colonel Williams Lake George Motel and Resort, responded to this review, August 3, 2012

Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed here in July 2011 for 5 nights....you read these other reviews and think okay, the kids must be unruly...but it's true. the place is nice...you know why...becuase you can't use it. Its like you are staying at someone's house.
You are walked to your hotel room, the person at check in shows you where to park your car. Which is nice to know you have an assigned spot.
however....you can't walk on the grass to get to the playground. they sprayed pesticide the day we were there so we couldn't even use the playground.
the close the pool early if no one is there...so don't plan on a swim after dinner. they claim the state regulates the pool rules but all the other hotels in the area can be open after 6 pm. they say the indoor pool is open until 7 or 8 but again if no one is there at 6 pm ( when you are at dinner) they shut it down for the night.
my daughter got sick one night and we needed extra towels and they owner was so rude about us asking for extras. I am not sure why they are in this business.
if you don't have kids and just need a place to stay you'll be fine...but think twice before taking your kids...you'll be stressed out worry about doing something wrong and having them watch you!
One more thing we didn't see a video room,... i think it was locked the whole time.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank Angela S
lgresort, Owner at Colonel Williams Lake George Motel and Resort, responded to this review, August 4, 2012

Reviewed August 26, 2011

Worst ever!! Owners yelled at us, chased us down with golf carts and accused us of having too many people in the room. Would NEVER stay there again! At 130 a night it is a huge waste of money!

• Stayed August 2011
11 Thank Mandyroseh

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Where to start...From the outside it looks like a fabulous place to stay. Looks can be deceiving. Yes the ground are well kept and the pool is nice and the playground for the children is very cool, but the owners are completely crazy. Upon check in I was read the riot act. Don't do this, don't do that. Blah blah blah...I felt like I was a teenager on a field trip. 35 by the way. So after check in Mrs Colonel led us to our room. Seemed like a nice touch, but the only reason for this was to make sure that we parked correctly and in the right spot. Which made her seem even more crazy because there were no other vehicles in site. I guess this should have been a sign.

We get to the room and the rules are reviewed one more time. No coolers in the room...no juice boxes...my wife and I couldn't use the pool alone, no guest allowed unless they paid a 45 dollar per day resort fee...on and on and on. Phew....all this and I haven't even seen the room yet. Let me tell you about the room. Small small small. Double bed as hard as rock and we had to go into the bathroom sideways because the door would only open halfway. Towels were so thin I would have been better off using bounty sheets. The shower couldn't decide whether it wanted to be ice cold or blistering hot with water pressure equivalent to me urinating. However at this point I'm really okay. I just figure, "well it's a small quaint mom and pop operation and I can overlook some of the short comings." Everything was okay for the next few days of our stay.

I found it a bit odd the colonel prowling the grounds on his little golf cart, but paid it no mind, until he chewed me out for getting some ice for my cooler...very small cooler...six pack size cooler. $130 a night and they can't provide their guests with a little ice....hmm. Next day we are visiting family across the way at the Whipper will---fantastic little place by the way---doesn't have the eye appeal of the Colonel Williams but owners are so hospitable. My wife goes back to our room to pick up some things and the colonel whips over in his little cart and proceeds to give her hell for us having too many people in our room. She's floored. It has only been the two of us at the resort the whole time we have been there, but because Mrs Colonel only gave us one key when we checked in, the colonel assumed there should be only one of us in the room. This man needs help. Again we just brush it off. We do however tell our travel agents about our experience and unfortunately they confront the owners before we check out.

Well...holy smoke. We have just finished loading the car and coming across the parking lot towards our room is the Colonel and Mrs Colonel. He barks, "do you have a problem with us!!!" I'm standing there like a deer in the headlights because I'm unaware that our agents had talked to him. Unaware I say, "well no sir not really, just a few concerns." I politely explain to him some of our issues including him confronting my wife about us having too many people in our room. He sticks his boney finger in my face and calls my wife a liar. Over and over again. I am a pretty calm person, but at this point I am ready to go all hockey on his butt and give him a good old fashion Canadian tune up. Of course being Canadian I do not...I try and calmly talk to him but he would not listen. He just provides us with insult after insult. He even threatens to call the police. This just blows me away. We have been ideal tenants. We were there to sleep and that's about it. We used the pool twice for 20 minutes at best. We were clean, quiet and paid in full up front. I hand him his room key and say, "thank you very much." He says, "yeah yeah yeah...Go back to Canada." I say, " thank you sir I will." So to my American friends I say, "stay away from the Colonel Williams Resort...he is giving Americans a bad name. To my Canadian friends I say, "Stay away, because he already doesn't like you." And to the Colonel and Mrs Colonel I say, "Thank you for opening my eyes...and helping me cross one more thing off the bucket list...No. 10 - Meet the biggest jerk in the world.

Room Tip: Don't do it...seriously!!!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family