“Tour the Fort”

The Fort William Henry Museum & Restoration
Ranked #4 of 51 things to do in Lake George
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Fort William Henry Museum and Reconstruction is located on the site of the original French and Indian War fort at the south shore of Lake George. Experience how the soldiers fought and died at this wilderness outpost and learn the REAL history behind the surrender and massacre made famous by James Fennimore Cooper's, "Last of the Mohicans". Cannon and musket demonstrations at 10am, 12, 2, 4pm daily. Free admission to active duty military, veterans, police and firefighters with ID. Open May - October.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My son loves history so he thoroughly enjoyed our visit o Fort Henry. I recommend going on a day when it isn't too hot out. The staff is very knowledgable and if course watching the cannon go off is a plus. They also allow the children to dress in a soldiers uniform and hold a gun ( toy of course) at the end of the tour. A little pricy but not bad. There are coupons for $1 off in local lake gorge coupon magazines.

There are newer reviews for The Fort William Henry Museum & Restoration

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Is like going back in time! Too bad the parking isn't the same as when I first went there. A lot to see and learn. Plus you can get a real feel for the 1700's.
has changed a bit in the 40+ years I've been visiting and Lake George is a lot more commercialized that back in the 70's. still if you take your time and but a parking pass you can have an enjoyable stay!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Complete waste of time & money. Our tour guide was awful & she had little to no historical knowledge & spent the entire tour talking about herself & her "experiences" at FWH.

1  Thank rebecca p
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We went this past weekend (Labor Day). I called ahead from the motel to make sure they were offering tours on the hour and to see when the last tour was. I was informed by the (unfriendly) woman who answered that they weren't doing tours every hour because most of their tour guides went back to college, but everything else was open and functioning as normal.
We sat for the tour "intro"; a subpar video about the fort that probably would have been interesting if it was clearer (both audio and video). My 7 year old was very bored with this- as were some adults in the room. When it was over a man in costume came in to start the tour. He seemed very knowledgable, although was a little dry presenting the information. He did light a grenade, canon and made a musketball. The way it was presented was as if we would be making musketballs (a little disappointing for my very hands on son). The kids then got to dress up with red vests, carry rifles, and march together. They did offer hats for the kids to wear, but with no disinfecting spray or any obvious method of sanitation I didn't feel comfortable with the hat.
I don't feel the tour was worth the price. We only saw a handful of people in costumes, and no Native American costumes like pictured in some of the reviews. This may be because their staff went back to college, but this should have been told to us when I called and asked if everything else was as it normally is. You do not need to pay to go into the fort- I wouldn't reccomend paying for the tour.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

While my wife enjoys this type of thing more than me, I admit I enjoyed visiting the fort at night and getting a history lesson again from a different perspective. I'm just so glad we went with the history "nerd" rather than the "sensitive" because he did a great job of not over-selling the paranormal but rather a healthy respect for the historical remnants.. What was annoying were the other participants who saw an orb every 5th picture and insisted in flashing their cameras/phones right in your eyes every chance they could get...

1  Thank jlas327