“Nice to have new owners that care about the property”

Ranked #9 of 88 Hotels in Lake George
Ludlow, Massachusetts
“Nice to have new owners that care about the property”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

We have been going to Scotty's for over 20 years, When we first started going in the 90's it was great, over the years it got worse and worse, the last 5 years it was terrible - beaches weren't raked, grounds were overgrown, I think they lost a lot of the regulars.

The original owners sold Scotty's in the fall of 2014 - we didn't think Scotty's would reopen.

We were skeptic going into 2015, we knew how bad things were there in 2014.

I have to say the new owners are giving it a 110% effort to turn things around. This past week we observed the chairs being arranged on the beach every morning, as well as the beach being raked. I even saw the dock being swept.

Lot's of people working everywhere, the grounds showed great improvement. There is still work to be done, hence the reason I didn't give it 5 stars, but it is 400% better than it was last year.

Scotty's is a great family environment, off the main road, with plenty for the children to do either on the playground or in the pool, (which by the way is sporting new chairs, tables, and umbrella's).

The outdated arcade has been replaced by tables and chairs for the snack bar. Great wings too!!!

They have Paddle Boats, Kayak's, Row Boats, and Paddle boards for rent if your feeling adventurous.

If you were a past Scotty's faithful customer that finally got fed up and left, then you need to give the new owners a new shot.

If you've never been to Scotty's and are looking for a down to earth place to bring the family - then give Scotty's a try - you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Lakeside Rooms give you a great view. Don't forget the Fireworks on Thursday night.
3 Thank Jay C
CISManager1, Public Relations Manager at Scotty's Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our resort. We are delighted to read that you and your family have been coming to Scotty's Lakeside Resort for years and were willing to give the Newly renovated Scotty's Lakeside Resort a try. We appreciate the recognition of the hard work that we have put into renovating the property and we are glad to hear that you were able to utilize several of our newly offered amenities. Please feel free to friend us on Facebook or follow us on twitter to stay updated on Scotty's Lakeside Resort news and specials. We hope to see you again next time you are in the area.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Shrub Oak, New York
Reviewed August 1, 2014

The positives: The location of Scottys is fantastic. The resort overlooks the lake, very picturesque. Very close to town and activities. The beach is very pretty and there are lots of kayaks, paddle boards, paddle boats to rent at a reasonable cost. How ever, the bottom of the lake is "mucky". We saw several people having a hard time in the water with their feet getting stuck in the muck. We did not go into the water as the weather was a bit too cool for our liking. The help on the premises were friendly.

The negatives: The room we stayed in (top of the hill) was not what we expected. There was visible black mold and mildew in the bathroom, under the sink, behind the toilet, inside the tracks of the shower door. Also, there was a large water stain on the ceiling. The bathroom mirror was rusted all around the frame. The beds were a bit hard and the pillows were flat. On the positive side, the sheets were clean and we had plenty of clean towels each day. The A/C was very cool. As for wifi, none in the rooms, only by the cafe. The top,of the hill rooms are appropriately named, they are at the top and when walking out of the resort, the hill is quite steep, fine for us but would pose a problem for elder folks and anyone needing assistance walking.

Would we return to Scottys? I highly doubt it. This resort has great potential, it needs updating and a lot of cleaning of the rooms. Supposedly, the lake front rooms have been renovated, we did not see these rooms so I cannot attest to this.

As for dining in the area, we found the Lone Bull Breakfast and Steak Restaurant to be excellent. They are open only for breakfast. You will get a more than satisfying meal at a very reasonable price.

If Scottys gets it's much needed face lift, it could be a very nice place to stay.

2 Thank kcn63
CISManager1, Public Relations Manager at Scotty's Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Scotty's Lakeside Resort. On behalf of our entire staff we apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at our resort. I have addressed these issues with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future. We greatly appreciate your feedback and as we continue to renovate and fine tune our operations we will keep these thoughts in mind in hopes that upon your next visit we will exceed your expectations. We hope to see you next time you are in the Lake George area.

Wappingers Falls, New York
Reviewed August 1, 2014

We chose Scotty's based on recommendations from others and I'm glad we did. They accommodated my request to be near the pool. There were lots of things for my kids to do. The pool wasn't heated which made our late night swim a little chilly but that's to be expected. It was quiet and very clean. I like that it's not right in the middle of the village but close enough to walk everywhere. Everyone was friendly and helpful. I think the boat rentals were a little pricey but that seems the norm in the village. The rooms aren't huge but I didn't expect them to be. I would have liked a microwave but, again, didn't expect one. The only negative for me? No hooks to hang our wet towels but that's not really a bad thing! My kids didn't want to go home and begged to go back before the summer is over!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank LizCV13
CISManager1, Public Relations Manager at Scotty's Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our resort. We are delighted to read that you and your family had a great stay and that we were able to accommodate your request to be by the pool! As we continue to move forward with our renovations we will definitely keep your thoughts in mind regarding placing hooks in the bathroom, it is an extremely valid suggestion and we appreciate your feedback. Please feel free to friend us on Facebook or follow us on twitter to stay updated on Scotty's Lakeside Resort news and specials. We hope to see you again next time you are in the area.

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Scotty's is located right by the main strip (of shopping/restaurants/attractions), which is in walking distance from Scotty's. Scotty's has a community/motel kind of feel, with all neighbors feeling in really close proximity to each other. The pool area and beach front is pleasant, with a nearby building containing cafe, arcade and bar. I didn't check out the beach bar room but they had some "drink specials" going on, on particular days I heard. Regarding the cafe, it was nice to be able to get up and get a real cup of coffee just a couple doors down from our room. We enjoyed the ping pong table, the kayaks, and the swing sets onsite at the beach front as well as the many lounging chairs and patio furniture by the beach. The pool area was clean and pleasant, though it didn't feel "heated". It was like one big backyard with all you needed for a nice sunny day. The beach water was not clean though. It was so muddy and mucky that your feet actually can get stuck in it--I've never seen any thing like that--it was nasty. But there is a nice local beach called Million Dollar beach just a short 5 minute drive away. As for the rooms, they are pretty basic, small, old fashion looking. But you do have a small flat screen tv, and a mini fridge, and they are very generous with their towels, lots of towels. The showers are missing a regular large shower head but the water pressure is good none the less. The beds tended to be a little stiff for my taste. There is no wii-fii in the rooms per say. You have to go down to the cafe or pool area for that (unless you have a room really close to cafe/pool, in which case you'll pick up the signal). Instead of a lamp, the rooms had these little office florescent lights over the beds which were unpleasant to use. Though in our case, my room must have had a previous mess made in it before we arrived because when we entered there was an air purifier running and a big wet spot on the floor, and a strong smell of bleach. We had hoped it would air out but by the end of our long 1st day but the smell was still strong and we woke up the next morning with symptoms of mild bleach poisoning: shortness of breath, dry cough, & headaches, so we had to request to switch rooms. The upside to that was the new room had a regular old lamp which was better to use than the florescent lighting over our beds. The downside was our new room had more rowdy neighbors--who again, being in such close proximity to our room (you even share a mini cement porch area with your neighbor) was a little disturbing for getting to sleep. We also noticed that even though our check out time was 11 am on our last day, we were being told by cleaning staff that it was really 10 am, which is not what our contract said. Staff were generally polite and helpful but that kind of thing was a little annoying. I could tell many patrons were satisfied with this place, obviously not looking for anything too fancy. I personally was expecting more, given the name of the place having the word "resort" in the title. But for what it was, I definitely was appreciative most of the location, and the outdoor/cafe amenities. We picked this place also for it's beach front. Now realizing that the beach water at Scotty's was so dirty and unpleasant to swim in, it made us rethink if we might of not been able to find a place with out a beach front that would have pleased us more in terms of the room accommodations. But that is a question for another Lake George trip in the future if we have one.

Room Tip: Try getting a room as close to the pool as possible, so that your room will pick up the wii fii sign...
2 Thank Nisage4
CISManager1, Public Relations Manager at Scotty's Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Scotty's Lakeside Resort. apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed these issues with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future. We are delighted to read though that you were able to enjoy our cafe, ping pong table, our kayak rentals and several other amenities that we offer at our property. We appreciate your feedback and as we continue to renovate and fine tune our operations we will keep these thoughts in mind in hopes that upon your next visit we will exceed your expectations. We hope to see you next time you are in the Lake George area.

Laval, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2014

First time trying Scotty's and the whole family loved it!! The facility is very kids friendly and very comfortable. Great beds, very clean, nice size pool, great café and bar. Great staff. We will be back for sure.

1 Thank Caroline J
CISManager1, Public Relations Manager at Scotty's Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our resort. We are delighted to read that you and your family had a great stay and enjoyed our pool, cafe, and bar. Please feel free to friend us on Facebook or follow us on twitter to stay updated on Scotty's Lakeside Resort news and specials. We hope to see you again next time you are in the area.

Western NY
Reviewed July 27, 2014

My husband had to travel to Lake George for business and we chose Scotty's because of all it offered to keep me and my twelve year old son busy while hubby worked. We had a great time at the beach, kayaking, in the pool and playing ping pong. It was a quick walk into town for all the restaurants and shops. The staff was always friendly and accommodating. We enjoyed our stay and wouldn't hesitate to return.

Room Tip: Rooms at the top of the hill will give you a work out, it's a steep climb up and down to reach t...
1 Thank CoolBeanMe
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience at our resort. We are delighted to read that you and your son were able to enjoy many of the amenities that are available at our resort and had a great time doing so. Please friend us on Facebook or follow us on twitter to stay informed about our property's news and events! We look forward to your next stay with us.

North Adams, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

We booked this this "suite" as a last minute mini-vacation through an on line vacation site specifically requesting a suite since there were 2 couples traveling. We did get 2 rooms, although it looked as though the space was never designed to be used for 2 separate sleeping areas. One room (the larger one) had a closet and no dresser. The carpet was quite stained and had several tears (I always walked around with something on my feet). The beds were comfortable with lovely bright white lightweight comforters. We slept very well.

The bathroom however was awful. It had absolutely no space for toiletries and four adults have four sets of toiletries so it was very inconvenient to have to constantly bring in and out all of your products as needed. The bathroom was so tiny that I would hit my elbow on the door as I dried my hair and I am a small person! We only had 3 bath towels which was unexpected since the reservation was made for 4 adults and the staff has that information when preparing rooms for incoming guests. There was mildew in the shower which was unpleasant. I see that the new owners are working on renovations so I hope that the bathrooms get some much needed attention. The size was the biggest issue with us.

The location is very nice with your own beach area and pool (very clean and nice seating) and lots of activities for children. We did rent kayaks and the price was reasonable ($20/hour for a two-person kayak). The staff at the rental area was very helpful and pleasant. Paddle boats and boards are also available. We enjoyed this immensely.

We did not ear at the snack bar because we like table service when we are on vacation but it is nice that this is available.

On a side note, although the location of the resort is very nice, the hill that you have to climb to get to the main road is quite steep and for most people this is fine but some people may find this to be too strenuous and enough of a problem that it would be a large negative.

I think that this resort would be perfect for a family with small children. There is a very family-friendly atmosphere here and it seems like a safe, wholesome place to bring the kids. It reminds me of vacationing decades ago as a child and staying at one site for a week and enjoying the many things to do. I hope that the owners continue to make improvements and I wish them success.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Matilda176
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Scotty's Lakeside Resort. apologize for the concerns you shared about your experience at this hotel. I have addressed these issues with our team, and I assure you we are working diligently to ensure a similar situation does not occur again in the future. We are delighted to read though that you were able to enjoy our kayak rentals and several other amenities that we offer at our property. We appreciate your feedback and as we continue to renovate and fine tune our operations we will keep these thoughts in mind in hopes that upon your next visit we will exceed your expectations. We hope to see you next time you are in the Lake George area.