“The dogs were there also” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Depe Dene Resort

Depe Dene Resort
Ranked #58 of 87 Hotels in Lake George
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
“The dogs were there also”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2010

The location on the lake is beautiful and my son, son-in-law and grandsons say the fishing was great. The office staff was helpful to us. These are the 3 good things about Depe Dene. It is expensive even when not in season and I could not imagine paying full season rates. It is not handicapped accessible and, we had a handicapped person with us. They have a pet free policy, except for therapy dogs, Iand guess this policy went out the window. People even brought them to the beach to do what they need to do. I used one of the washing machines and did not notice that it didn't empty until I had to put the cloths into the dryer. I guess I washed my clothes in the dirty water of the person before me. Seems like almost everything we touched was broken or didn't work. The owner really needs invest the money needed to revitalize the place. We were told the swimming pool was heated but I guess the heater was broken and the pool was dirty. The spa water was murkey. My daughter's rooms had ants. Like I said it needs a lot or work and could really be beautiful because it is in a beautiful spot. Internet shopping is very hard because many times the pictures you see are not what you get.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank loveslakegeorge34048

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
West Orange, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

The accommodations at this place were just awful----filthy, falling apart and all around gross. My husband and two young sons stayed there last week with my parents to celebrate my mom's birthday. We couldn't have chosen an ickier place if we tried. There was mold on the shower curtain and in the bathroom. A drawer face fell off within 5 minutes of arrival. There were exposed wires sort of taped to the baseboards of various rooms. The mattresses, single couch (for a townhouse that slept 8-10) ,and carpet were ridiculously old and filthy. The roof leaked. Let me repeat that part---THE ROOF LEAKED. After we complained about it, we then had to spend the next two days of our vacation as they hammered away for hours on end. If we grew tired of the noise, we could walk out on our balcony that overlooked an overflowing dumpster and the maintenance shed. It was a dump.

I've never written a single online review of any product, resort, or anything in my entire life, but this place was so unbelievably awful that I feel compelled to tell people to spend their money elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank cjb62

Travelers are raving about these Lake George hotels

metuchen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2010

We decided on a last minute vacation for the fourth of July weekend in Lake George and booked the first availability for a resort on the lake. The lake access was awesome. We stayed in the roundhouse (aspen - 2 bedroom) which was a hop to a beach leading into the lake. We have a toddler under 2, and she had an epic time. Someone from the resort helped us out with lifejackets and a paddleboat. The full deck view from our room was unbelieveable and we saw fireworks right over the lake in front of us! The service responded to my requests and needs in a very timely manner. The internet signal flaked out on use (hey - we are in the mountains) and place is a little dated, but we had a great time.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Yorktown Heights, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2010

Our extended family have been coming here for 16+ years for an annual family reunion. It's been getting better and the last few years, it's obvious that renovations and updates have been taking place. Our cabin hasn't been updated much and the couch is still pretty old and saggy, but for a 3 day weekend, I think it's fine. I've always found the plates and general kitchenware to be clean; you do need to pack a lot of your own things if you plan to eat there. What many of our family members do is eat at the Lone Bull, the restaurant right next door, which works well for a short stay. The pool was updated a few years ago and is really nice, you wouldn't even know you were just feet away from busy Lake Shore Drive, it's nicely landscaped, the pool is big, there's lots of chairs and lounges and the hot tub works and is nice. The water is clean and not strongly chlorinated. You do need to bring your own beach towels. The lake is beautiful and the beach is well maintained. Overall, I would recommend Depe Dene; I have not stayed at any other establishment. One thoughtful touch was, my daughter left a sweater there. I called and they had it, and had laundered it and said they would send it to me, no charge.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
North Hampton, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

We were staying at Depe Dene during Americade and had booked one of the two Mountain Cabins. The first night everything was fine, but then on the second as more of our group arrived and used the toilet more, our toilet overflowed, and our tub started filling up. We called the office around midnight, not realizing they weren't on call 24/7, which is understandable, but we couldn't flush our toilet or put toilet paper in it for the rest of the night, which obviously was pretty gross! The next morning the maintanence man came and thought he took care of the problem, which in the mean time they let us go down to one of the empty cabins to shower and use the bathroom, but not 10 minutes later when we where doing our dishes in the kitchen, the tub and toilet both filled up again. It was agreed that the problem was going to take some time and work to resolve, so we would need to be moved. The cabin we were in had 3 bedrooms each with 2 double beds. At first they suggested we move to a cabin with 3 double beds total and put my daughter on the couch, but to us that was not an option, so they came up with a much nicer solution, one which will keep us returning as customers for many years to come. They moved us to the owners private estate on the lake, where he has a guest cottage, which they rent out as part of the hotel. The cottage itself was a generous upgrade compared to our other cabin. It was 2 stories, with 4 bedrooms, 6 beds in total and huge kitchen and a livingroom with 3 couches plus 2 bathrooms. The 2 downstairs bedrooms both have sliders out to a stone patio w/ tables and chairs set probably 30 ft up the hill from the lake. Absolutely beautiful! Then we found out after that that we also had the use of the nearby gazebo, and beyond that a fire pit area with chairs and a 4 person rocking chair swing, and the farther down, we were also aloud to use the private beach. I have to thank Ana...she was nothing but helpful and out of the 2 women working in the office, she was extra friendly and outgoing, and really seemed to care that we got what we paid for and more, and that we were truely satisfied customers, which we were. Ana...thanks again and can't wait to see you again next June! I encourage more customers of Depe Dene to write in there good expierences because it really is a great place to stay. Only one little complaint...it said the pool is heated, but it was a cold as the ocean...if your going to advertise for a heated pool, you should let your customers know ahead of time if it isn't before they all jump in and freeze to death! :) Overall though, great place to stay!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Astoria, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

I was looking for a nice quiet and relaxing getaway before the birth of our first baby and this was definitely the place! The rooms are very clean and comfortable. Has a private beach right on the lake. Mary the desk manager is so kind and helpful with anything you need. Can't wait for our stay again next summer with the new little one!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Bridgewater
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2010

For the past 8 years we have been going to the Depe Dene for an annual venue. I guess we were gluttons for punishment. Not anymore!! This last visit pushed us over the edge. Every year that we have been there, there has been a problem with the water. Either the hot water doesn't work or the water itself doesn't work. One year we had no water for 2 days. The owner, being the cheapskate that he is, wouldn't call a plumber to fix the line. He kept going to Home Depot to get parts. When his maintenance person was unable to fix it, he was fired! It wasn't his fault-it was a major break. No, we did not get any compensation at all-the owner's excuse was that a biker on his motorcycle broke it. Lame. I will give him credit for last year and this year for getting the hot water heater fixed right away though. But, what I don't understand is why they don't check/replace parts as soon as the water is turned back on. These sit all winter so obviously there's going to be problems. Now for the cabin. I can understand a little mildewy smell. After all they sit closed up all winter and are opened right before we come in but they don't clean spider webs or even spray inside and out for the Carpenter Ants. The shower is ridiculous-the shower head is so low that you have to bend down to take a shower and I'm not even tall! The kitchen lacks-if you want to actually cook while you're there you better bring your own pots/pans. And dish towels too. One year I opened the silverware drawer and it was filled with 2 inches of water. I had to empty, clean and dry the drawer and the silverware. The rugs are sticky, dirty and smelly. I don't think they've ever been cleaned. I guess they vacuum but that's even questionable. The couch and chair are sticky, dirty and smelly too. And they are falling apart. The cushions are sunk down and it's like sitting on a board. With the $$ this place charges, I can't understand why they don't replace them. They have to be at least 20 years old. The beds are gross too. I will not sleep under their sheets and blankets. I bring a sheet that I put over the bedspread and my own blankets. I even bring my own pillow. Only one bedroom has a mirror. The lighting in the bathroom and bedrooms is dark and yellow. It makes you look like you have jaundice. Now for the office staff. Although a couple of them can be pleasant, you can tell they don't want to be bothered. Two years ago they had someone in there that caused a lot of problems. She lied, lied,lied. Last year the owner said he fired her because of the problems. Well, guess who was back this year? Yup, same woman. And she lied, lied, lied again. When she was there two years ago she rented the cabin across from us to kids-no adults. All they did was scream and yell all nite-they were sleeping in cars, etc. She didn't care. Last year the owner apologized and promised us it wouldn't happen again and that they don't rent to anyone under 25 but last year there were more kids. This year the same. These kids screamed and yelled all nite. Each time there were no adults in the cabin. I called the office around 10:30PM and she said to me that she went down and told them to be quiet and then told me that they were going out. Well, they went out alright-outside the cabin where they continued to scream and yell. Once again she lied. We finally closed all the windows, went into the back bedroom, closed the door and put on a table fan we brought with us. We did try calling the office again but she had locked and left. That's another thing-God forbid you have an emergency at nite. There's no one in the office after 10-10:30PM. They don't even have a number to call or leave a listing of the police or fire dept. You're on your own. You have to wait until the morning for the office to open and even then they don't get in until 8AM if your lucky. Needless to say we're not going back next year. Eight years is more than enough. We're not the only ones that they have lost either. A lot of the regulars from over the years didn't come back. The owner doesn't care-ask any other business owner in town and you will find that they don't like him at all. He's nasty and uncaring. Just in it for the money. He didn't even say anything to us this year at all-would show up for a quick visit to the office and leave. Stay at the Boulders - heard it's much better. We have found a place that's new, clean and has a friendly office staff that is there 24/7. Can't wait. Steer clear of the Depe Dene. Maybe a long time ago it was nice but not anymore. It should be sold and bought by someone that would try to make it nice again

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple