“best place ever”

Depe Dene Resort
Ranked #62 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
Baldwinsville New York
Reviewed August 29, 2004

i have been visiting depe dene resort for the past 13 years and my parents have been there for thier whole life. depe dene is very well managed and clean, there is very nice staff and it is the most fantastic place i've ever been in. There is a new and improved HEATED pool and a nice beach you will be thrown out of your seats when you go there. The rates are great and if you want to have more fun check out adventure racing on Route 9 just south of the Great Escape next to Pirate's Cove Golf, in the Town of Queensbury. You can go on go carts and play paintball and play lazer tag...it's very fun.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviewed August 23, 2004

My family has been staying at Depe Dene for well over 30yrs. When the previous owners were running the show things were so different. The rooms were very dirty, my son had gotten a stomach virus from the filth in the room, I myself was sick and the management was downright rude. I will never go back!!!!!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NY
Reviewed August 10, 2004

My family and I have been staying here for over 10 years. We look forward to staying here every summer. It's very relaxing and peaceful, and great place for families!

Keep up the great work!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fairhaven, MA
Reviewed August 9, 2004

I don't know where to begin. Two days prior to our family trip I had emergency surgery, because we booked a cabin we could not cancel our trip without losing our deposit which was almost $700.00. We decided to make the best of an unfortunate situation. I figured since Depe Dene was a resort my husband and children could enjoy the activities and I would recover in the cabin. I'm sure my description of the cabin could not possibly do it justice but I'll try, first there was the musty smell that overcame you as you walked in, our cabin had two bedrooms with bedspreads I would not allow my animals near. Before I could allow my family to sit on the couch I went out and bought a sheet to cover it. The rug had things on it like old food, candy, and dead bugs. The dead bugs were much better than the live one that kept showing up. The brochure never told me that resort meant roughing it. The hot water came out of the cold water fawcet and vice versa. The ping pong tables on the grounds had broken nets. The jacuzzi was usually full of small children that had parents who would turn off the jets so the children could use it like a small pool because the real pool was too cold. When I read some of the great reviews I can only wonder if these people have ever stayed at a real resort. If your idea of a vacation is to be able to carry alcohol beverages anywhere on the property then okay I get it but honestly other than that I can not understand the attraction. Even while we were there my daughter would tell me that other guests told her that Depe Dene was one of the best places in the Lake George area. We spent most of our time away from the "resort" because I could not recouperate in the cabin. Surfice to say we will not be returning.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 1, 2004

We booked a week trip 7/24 -7/31/04 and on 7/26 we headed home!!! B.S. DEFINITELY did not stand for "Beach Suite"! They said it would accomodate 4 people - whata crock of crap. There were only two tiny rooms. My son's playpen took up one room (and its not very big)and the other room with the two beds took up that entire room. No closets, no dressers. We lived out of suitcases - fine, but we never had an area to open them! There was no a/c in the bedroom and no hot water, and No Microwave. The supposed living room was a tiny area with a tiny dirty couch and t.v. My Stepdaughter had to sit on the gross carepted floor to watch. I definitely agree with the comments that i recently read about the outside area being dirty. Garbage pails overflowing with no lids - bugs everywhere, no maintenance crew existed. HOW DO THEY STAY IN BUSINESS RIPPING PEOPLE OFF??? $200 a night and WE LEFT 5 DAYS EARLY and lost all that money - plus all the money spent on supplies (they give you nothing in the room), plus we left a refrigerator full of food - so desperate to leave. ABSOLUTELY NO REFUNDS, and at the time, we didnt care, just so desperate to go home. Now that we're home, kissing our driveway, my one yr. old (who, belive or not has never really been sick) picked up a virus (Coxsackie) - in which you mainly get from touching dirty objects. His first day of being sick, he had a fever of 104. If that didnt make my blood boil - i am now brewing over losing all that money, and will be notifying the Better Business Bureau - as well as our credit card co., and suggest all others who were scammed do the same!

6  Thank MGMOMMY
Reviewed July 20, 2004

This will be our 8th year at Depe Dene. We originally stared out coming with one other family. We are now up to 8 families because each year everyone comes back again and again, while bringing additional families. The place is terrific, staff is pleasant and friendly and very helpful. Cabins are clean and air conditioned and the beach is one of the nicer ones on the lake. There is a large area for the kids to play soccer and baseball with 3 different play grounds (swings, slides,junglegym). It is very close to Six Flags Great Escape, miniature golf, rodeo, horseback riding and waterpark and about 5 golf courses. We will continue to keep coming back

4  Thank crash100
Reviewed July 20, 2004

When I took my daughter to one of the playgrounds every swing was old, rusty and broken, broken glass all around, not a fun or safe place for children. Beach is dirty, the garbage bins constantly full and buzzing with flies. the service is non-existant except for the nice guys renting the wave-runners, which is a seperately owned business, and the Lone Bull folks, also seperate.

Don't stay here unless you enjoy getting ripped off.

2  Thank Doug P