“Breakfast”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Amherst, Massachusetts
“Breakfast”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Went early for breakfast, was welcomed with a smile, and the eggs were cooked just right...a great place to eat

Visited February 2014

Burlington, Vermont
“Good diner/home cooking food; service a little rushed”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stopped in about 1:00 on an off-season November Sunday. We were warmly welcomed and seated in a comfortable booth and offered drinks (non-alcoholic only, of course). The menu is extensive and very appealing; although they do offer breakfast all day with a wide assortment of eggs, pancakes, waffles, etc. we both opted for lunch specials that were full dinners. My salad was almost totally curly endive, and I would have welcomed an assortment of greens, but what I got was green, crisp and very fresh and flavorful. I'd only eaten half of it, however, when soup appeared. The chicken noodle was clearly homemade, with a rich broth, elbow macaroni, carrots and chicken; my partner pronounced it very, very good. The clam chowder was just creamy enough - not so thick the spoon would stand up in it, but creamy, not a broth. The flavor was full of fresh clam taste (although I suspect they were canned minced clams), with lots of small clam pieces, potatoes and celery.
Again, lunch arrived before we'd finished our soup. Having just discovered the place, I can't say if that's always the way, or if it was because things were slow. The meatloaf dinner came with two BIG slices of meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, and broccoli. I'm told the meatloaf was excellent - my partner said he'd intended to save me one slice for a weekday lunch, but it was just too good, and he ate it all. The turkey dinner offered three large slices of breast, stuffing, potatoes and gravy, and broccoli. The meat was moist, flavorful, actually succulent and obviously a carefully roasted turkey. Mashed potatoes were very good, and both gravies were rich and creamy. I found the stuffing a little saltier than I like, but still good. The pale green broccoli cuts were either canned or badly overcooked frozen, and we both skipped them.
Dessert included rice or bread pudding and a variety of pies including several fruit, pumpkin, and Boston Cream. I opted for my favorite cherry, and the cherries were plentiful and nicely tart. The crust was dense rather than flaky (almost shortbread) but still good. The rice pudding came in a large parfait glass, and again was pronounced to be very good.
I would definitely recomment Prospect Mountain, with the caveat to remember that this IS a diner, not a fine dining establishment. If you're like me and think "quick" and "casual" should still be good, check it out - this is food like my grandmother used to make!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank VTOceanLover
“How do I get to Prospect Mountain?”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

So, we stroll on in on the advice from the staff at the Holiday Inn. We are immediately seated a booth right next to the bathrooms and the kitchen entrance. I couldn't figure this out. The place was EMPTY. We were seated in the worst seat possible. We dealt with it until we couldn't take the heat anymore. The sun was just baking us. So we moved. They didn't seem overjoyed...

The food was average. Just plain old average. The chocolate milk was EXPENSIVE. Two 'large' six ounce glasses came to six bucks, ouch! One adult and three kids escaped with a forty-dollar check, ouch!

When it was time to leave, we told the staff we were going for a hike. They suggested Prospect Mountain. OHHH, I see--it is the name of the place. How do I access it? Nobody knew. Wouldn't you think someone at Prospect Mountain Diner could get us there?

I wouldn't return, but you might really like the place.

• Visited November 2013
Lake George, New York
“Lake George classic”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Wonderful breakfasts featuring Arts big boy with eggs, cakes, bacon,sausage, etc. friendly veteran staff.reasonable prices and a lengthy menu where your certain to find something your momma made!

Visited October 2013
Denver, Colorado
“Good diner stop”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

If you want fancy you're in the wrong place. And, given the way the sign for this place is situated on Rt (, you might miss it if you approached from the south. But it is a solid diner with basic food, basic service, basic prices. Plenty of parking (which can be a challenge in Lake George).

• Visited September 2013