“Decent meal at a decent price, but....”

The Barnsider Smokehouse BBQ
Ranked #26 of 165 Restaurants in Lake George
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Since 1991 we've been smokin' and sauce slingin' so we know how to cook - and treat barbeque with the respect it deserves. Our sauce is homemade in our kitchen in Lake George, NY, and our meats are seasoned & cooked to perfection. Ours is some of the best BBQ north of Memphis, and we aren't afraid to say so. But don't take our word for it, come and taste the sensation for yourself. Have us cater your next event!
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We made our annual visit to LG this year and we always try to find a new place to add to our "favorites list" of places to eat. We read the reviews on here and decided we'd take a chance. We have concluded that yes, the food is very good, but.... The service definitely needs some improvement. It seems like there are more hostess' wandering about with that "deer in a headlight" look and looking busy than waitresses actually waiting on people. We were early birds so we had no problem getting seated or waiting for refills, food, etc. but as the place grew in customers, we saw less of our waitress. When we left , we noticed there was no shortage of staff gathering around the bar chatting about of all things... How to serve people ! just get the feeling a staff manager is either absent or asleep at the wheel here.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We have been here at least ten times over the years. The food is excellent. I have traveled the country and eaten at a lot of different BBQ places, and this ranks right up there with them. Yes, surprising considering the location, but I am not kidding. The half chicken is one of the juiciest, tastiest chicken I have ever had and the ribs are really good too. If I had one negative, it is the service. You can sit there for a solid 10 minutes before a waiter or waitress shows up to your table, it has happened on more than one occasion, but it is worth the wait. The prices are quite reasonable as well, particularly for a tourist town.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Chose this from the 4 options for our vouchers from our hotels family fun pak. Was not disappointed. We drove by the others. Looked scarey.

We sat outside here. That was really nice. Plenty of room, no bugs, smelled great.

Food was good, I had ribs, burgers looked good too. Potato skins were yummy.

It took forever at every step except to actually sit down. I didn't really care as we weren't in a hurry.

One annoying thing is the single person bathroom for each sex. That line was epic for the men's room. Got zero sympathy from the ladies in line :P

Reviewed August 7, 2013

To start, thank you for allowing me to bring my docile and well behaved french bulldog puppy onto your deck to eat. We really appreciated that and he had a good time like us.

Not to sound condescending to other readers, but I've been smoking my own meats for a long time and I know a thing or two about BBQ LOL. If I was to solely rate food I'd give this place a 4 but the decor, service, friendliness and overall experience make this a 5 star.

This place is the real deal. I'm not going to lie and say its the best BBQ ever but for Lake George I was amazed to find a place like this. The pricing is super fair. I had a platter for about 15 bucks and it got the job done. Service was super quick and it came right out.

The meat here definitely has some smokiness. If you wake up the next day and still taste smoke, then that is my style! I am so tired of these BBQ places serving up watered down garbage with little smoke on it.

I would have liked a dry rub option for my ribs (maybe I missed it.) Also, I am a sliced brisket man but that is much more time consuming than pulled brisket (and harder to get right.) The brisket had some great smoke flavor and it was not overly done with spice/sauce....just some solid brisket without the coverup of over seasoning.

The ribs were decent and had a little pull to them which I like...not a sloppy mess of a rib.

Overall, I have no complaints. If you want some decent BBQ, a good time and if you don't want to break the bank this is a cool spot. If I was a local this would be in my weekly rotation.

Thanks Barnsider

1  Thank corvette_johnny
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We came here with a party of 8, including kids, and everyone loved their meals. I had the St. Louis BBQ Ribs/Fried Scallops combo. An odd combination, but it worked! The ribs were meaty and the scallops were beer battered, not done in bread crumbs.