“Worst restaurant of the year”

Shepards Cove Restaurant
Ranked #126 of 164 Restaurants in Lake George
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The worst fish and chips of this summer - maybe ever! The worst pulled pork sandwich of the summer! The worst Pina Colada ever! The worst service of the summer. The filthiest restaurant we have visited this summer.

I should have listened to my intuition when I saw how shabby and outdated this restaurant looked. But we stayed anyway - for convenience. They have such an ideal spot on the lake next to the harbor that they could do so much more with. But this restaurant is a disaster!

The fish smelled like it had been delivered fresh - a week ago - and had been sitting in the cooler since then. The pulled pork was dried out and actually tough! I didn't know you could make pulled pork so badly. The Pina Colada tasted like foamy water - no detectible flavor whatsoever. They had no cole slaw.

The service was slow, ho-hum, and uncaring. After eating, I visited the rest room. Wish I hadn't! The walls and the door to the men's room desperately need to be washed. They were filthy. It was like walking into a gas station restroom in a dumpy old garage. The door to the men's room wouldn't close all the way. You could see into the men's room from the hallway. The door to the stall inside was broken off the top hinge and hanging precariously over the urinal.

The nicest thing I can say is this restaurant is a perfect candidate for a Restaurant Impossible makeover. Don't go there until it happens.

1  Thank DJSpinDoctor

Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife, another couple and our children went to Lake George for the day and stopped in to this restaurant for dinner. We decided to sit on the upper outside deck and were told by the hostess to sit anywhere. As there were no tables for six people available (there were several six person tables with only two people sitting at them), we pulled two small square tables together. The bartender immediately ran up to us and said we were pulling tables from their 'non serving area' into the serving area and they couldn't handle that (because the twenty or so people sitting around drinking beer were so burdensome?) We should have saved our money and left then. Instead, we went downstairs to a deserted indoor / outdoor area that looked like it hadn't had a paint job, let alone an update in decor, in more than 30 years. We sat down and gave our orders to the waitress, my wife clearly stating what we wanted for appetizers. 35 minutes later, everything arrived all at once. When my wife and our friends asked why everything was brought at once, instead of the appetizers first, the waitress said that we never told her we wanted them first and that many customers order the appetizers as an entree. One friend and I had the flame grilled salmon, my daughter had the grilled chicken sandwich, my wife had a salad and our other friend had a meatball sandwich. The salmon was partially undercooked and had no seasoning or sauce whatsoever, making it very bland. It came with potatoes and vegetables and looked like it was haphazardly tossed onto the plate. And for this it cost us $17.50 each. The grilled chicken was just as bland and so was the meatball sandwich. Our sodas, $2.50 each, came in plastic cups that are more commonly found at a picnic. The waitress gave us our silverware (hastily wrapped in paper napkins) only after we received our food and only after we asked for them. She also kept forgetting to bring things like ketchup, salt, and salad dressing. Overall she wasn't very competent and wasn't particularly friendly. I will cross this restaurant off my list and recommend everyone stay away. I agree with Anthony H: go for the view and then leave as fast as possible.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Had a nice outdoor lunch on the upstairs deck. Food was fine, beers were great, view was terrific! Shared mozzarella sticks as an appetizer and they tasted homemade; hot dog platter was very tasty and a good value.

1  Thank kevin56
Reviewed August 9, 2012

This is one of my favorite spots to have drinks & sit on the deck!! The entertainment is always great!!! This spot has the best view of any in Lake George!!!

1  Thank Maureen B
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Ive been coming to Lake George for the past 27 summers, and I have never been to a restaurant quite like this one. Our waitress knew nothing about the menu. When we asked her questions, her response was always "umm maybe?" or " umm I think so...". The food tasted like it had been frozen for years before being served to us. There are plenty of other choices that offer a view AND edible food.

2  Thank anthonyh41