“Stay away”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake George
Lake George Riverview Campground
“Stay away”
Reviewed August 17, 2011

This was by far the worse experience camping I have ever had. The owners wife has absolutely no customer relation skills (if you don't like the business sell). I felt like we were being stalked all weekend like they were just waiting to kick is out and keep our money. I would not recommend this campground to anyone.

• Stayed August 2011
5 Thank xtreme23

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Fulton, New York
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I have looked over the past reveiws and everything they say I can relate to and then some. My bestfriend and her finance planned there bacholor/bacholorette party in Lake Goerge. My friend called a bunch of campgrounds and let them know we have 24 people coming and we don't party hard but we do like to sit around the fire and drink and have a good time. This campground told her that would be fine and we are more than welcome to come. Well after they got our money that was it. They patrolled our area and 4 different times just on the first night, told us to either quiet down or we will have to go to bed. Noone had even called and complained that we were being to loud and we were practically wispering and they would still come back. They had the worst business ethic EVER. This was not even the worst of it. We had come back from dinner on Sunday night and My campsite was completely submerged under 6-10 inches of water. My husbands work boots got soaked and eveything we had outside was soaked and all mud. We could not get into our camper for 3hrs because we had to wait for the water to go down. The next morning when we went to leave, I had spoke to the husband about what had happened and his exact words were "yeah that sucks doesn't it" and "what, are you gonna be mad at me for it raining"...."WHAT"....are you kidding me...that is not how you treat a paying customer! That converstaion ended with him telling me "well if you don't like it then don't ever come back". and I replied with "trust me, we will NEVER be back". It gets better though...The Wife calls my friend who made the arrangements for everyone to go there and proceeds to tell her that I was rude and she was calling my friend to EMBARRASS me to all my friends that because of me noone in our party will ever be allowed back there and that I EMBARRASSED her husband and alll this other bologna.So, because My campsite got flooded and I was upset about that, she has the nerve to TRY and get me introuble with my friends like I'm a child LOL!!! I honestly do not know how these people run a busniess. CLEARLY not very sucessfully by reading the other posts. Little did the wife know, my friend already knew about what had happened and Everyone laughed when they were told they could not come back because noone EVER planned on it!!!! Please don't waste your money here. They have no idea about customer satisfaction and trust me you will be disappointed one way or another if you stay here! Almost $800 between our entire group wasted! I have never written a review about anything before but I have never been treated so poorly buy a business that I felt I had to let other people know so they don't go through the same thing!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
10 Thank Jessica S
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed July 18, 2011

I've camped my whole life and never have I been treated this poorly. When my friends and I booked this trip we asked a ton of questions. We are all in our mid/late twenties and while we don't "party hardy", we do enjoy sitting around the campfire talking until around 2am or so. When we go to a new campsite we always check to make sure that this is okay (we don't scream or anything but 8-10 people talking at night in the woods can seem a little loud sometimes) and ask to be put at the farthest campsite if possible. After being assured twice by the owner that all was well and good, we booked 4 campsites (3 together and 1 apart).
When we arrived we realized we didn't need the 4th campsite but agreed that we should pay for it since it was last minute and the owner offered to take $30 off and we stated we would stay on the 3 connecting campsites. That's when the trouble started. After we were led to our campsites, the owner realized there was already someone on our third site so went back to see what was up. He returned with his wife who stated that the people had a baby and she would not move them so we had two choices: Stay on the two sites and move Saturday when the people left or take our money and leave (this was all said with a healthy dose of attitude). We were a bit stunned. No one had said anything argumentative and we wondered what we had done to anger her. (Also because we were sure she wouldn't take that attitude if she knew we were older) Of course we weren't going to leave after driving 41/2 hours with no alternative campground so we agreed and asked for a refund on that site for the night. She replied that, "since she gave us a $30 discount she would only give us another $9". And then proceeded to tell us "kids" (I'm almost 30 so was slightly flattered and annoyed) that this was not a party ground etc, etc. The whole scene was very rude and disrespectful. It may have stemmed from the fact that they took IDs from the absolute youngest members of the group (23 &24) when we checked in. Once they left, my group was a little upset but I convinced them that she most likely had a bad experience and we just needed to show them we were good campers. Boy was I wrong. The rest of the night they patrolled our area, warned us to stay away from other campers we had befriended and just generally harassed us. I was very proud of our group. Everyone smiled and followed the rules and kept their mouths shut. We never did move to the third site-who wants to move their stuff after it's set up?
It seemed to be all well until Sunday. The owner came over in the afternoon and complimented us on Friday night but said Saturday got a little loud when we were talking around the fire pit. We apologized and told him that there would only be 5 of us that night and we would be going to bed earlier. When we came home from karaoke that night we sat around playing cards. As we had the previous nights, we checked to see our noise level from the road to make sure we were fine-and we were just a light murmur (barely discernible from the other campsite). A little before midnight the owner comes flying in on his golf cart and starts screaming at us (literally! -our neighbors turned on their lights when he started yelling). He told us he was sick of getting calls saying we were noisy and we needed to, "go to bed or get out" and if we didn't he would, "call the sheriff". We were stunned. No warning that someone thought we were being loud (and we were checking), just a disrespectful and patronizing attitude. He wouldn't talk to us and proceeded to pretty much stalk us the rest of the night-even waiting for me outside the bathroom at one point. This angered our entire group. If we had once shown them disrespect, or partied hard, or been crazy loud I would have said we had earned everything we got. But we weren't. We were harassed and harangued simply because they thought we were "kids".
All in all, we paid about $500 to stay on two (instead of 4) sites, got told to keep to ourselves, were harassed repeatedly, and ultimately screamed at. I honestly feel that if they had known that most of us are older, they would have not had a problem. My boyfriend wanted to give them a piece of his mind when we left but I knew it wouldn't do any good - they simply thought of us as troublesome college kids. The owner did apologize when we turned the keys in but also asked us to not make a reservation next year. No worries there. I will be sure that neither myself nor anyone I know ever goes there. I have never written a bad review but this experience sickened me. To treat someone with respect but get nothing but a crappy attitude and harassment back simply because of age is just atrocious.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
15 Thank MichelleVanSchyndel
alwaystruthfulny, Owner at Lake George Riverview Campground, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
I think that this person version of what they think actually happened is far from the truth. This was a group of 15 to 20 young so called 23 to 27 year olds from Staten Island
Drinking Partying people from the minute they registered to the moment that I told them to never come back . They never told the truth of how many people were actually arriving . The group head Maxim was always the mouth piece of the group since he had made all the reservations and also knows what he asked for and what he knew he had reserved. They had 4 sites . Three together along the river and one site further down . They decided that they wanted to keep the group together and They decide that they didn't want to setup on the other site . When getting to their site , there was a pop-up with small children that had over placed her site when they setup . We knew that they were leaving in the morning but we were not going to make them break down to move a little so that the incoming site could have the entire site . We offered a 30 dollar refund for the trouble and all agreed it would be fine for the night .
The night was very long for not only myself but for the other three sites that wre close enbough to hear the drinking and partying all night long . I was told by the Farino family as well as the Lynch family that the noise got unbearable that night and they never quitt. They knew that they were trying to sleep and they even came out of their tents about 3 am and told them to cut it out and go to bed . The next morning I was made aware of what happen that night and made my golf cart visit to them and warmed them and made it clear that the drinking and funnel beer drinking had to stop or I was going to throw them out . 2nd night was just as bad as the first night . They had no care for who was around them and how loud they got and who was trying to sleep. I spent the entire weekend babysitting this group of campers .
There was a girl that really threathened me and told me that "she was going to Kill my business" . I beleive this must be her . I have hundreds of campers all season long and this was the worst group I have ever had in my park . I try to do a good job filtering these kinds of group to the park but I made a very poor decision to allow Maxim and his group any campsite .
I told him from the day he reserved that we would not allow this kind of behavior and he assured me that they were older and that was not what they were coming camping for . It's clear that he wasn't telling the truth and wanted to mislead us to giving him a site reservation for such a large group . I would think the the evidence is in the 5 man beer funnel that they had along with the hard core liquor that bottles they left behind . Me apologize for what may I ask . That is totally crazy to think that it true , funny & crazy but far from the truth . There are 2 post from this group and I hope that you recogniize that these post are placed with the intentions to destroy and hurt may business in which I believe they already have . I am hoping that you reconsider these post and remove them as they are far from the truth.
Geneva, NY
Reviewed July 26, 2010

We visited Riverview in July 2010 for a one week stay. When you pull in off the main road, it is a little confusing as there's a large sign in the middle of a parking area, but you have to follow a narrow & bumpy paved road down the hill. No big deal though. They keep the grounds pretty secure through a front gate, and the main lodge is a cool old barn with a few video games, small store, pool table, and ping-pong. Mini golf is only a few holes, but the kids had a blast with it. Volleyball, lighted Bocce court, horseshoes, are all available, with a large open field for the kids to play in.

The sites themselves are pretty small. When we had a 30' tow behind pull up to the site next to our pop-up, we felt like they were way too close, however, they were within the boundaries of the site. All in all, thats our only complaint - the site size. Sure, you're in between Route 9 and the Northway, so you get some traffic noise. We heard our share of sirens, and NYSDOT happened to be working on Route 9 for a couple of the days we were there, adding some noise. There's a trailer park across the river on the West side of the grounds, heard some colorful language from over there one night, but only for a couple minutes.

Bathrooms are a bit spartan even for a campground - they could use some sprucing up and air fresheners for sure, and the showers, while hot & free, require some maneuvering to use in the small stalls. Again, relatively minor gripes.

All in all, we had a wonderful time, the staff was helpful, and being on the river, we were visited by families of ducks throughout the week. The kids were able to catch some fish, wading in the river, and all the folks around us were friendly. The pool is PERFECT for small kids, but big enough for a bunch of people to enjoy at once, with some good music playing over the outside speakers.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank CPSD40
Rhode Island
Reviewed August 25, 2009

A couple of my friends and I booked this place for a week and were very, VERY decieved by the website. You have a beautiful view of the river, yes, but also a lovely view of McDonalds and the main roads. The place is a small FIELD, not a good campground. I guess if you enjoy camping in field with no space to yourself, this is the place for you.
The bathrooms are horrid, with two tiny showers in which you get NO privacy, except for the shower curtain.
We pulled our camper up to our spot, and could not even open the awing because there were other peoples tents right next to us. We stayed a total of FIVE minutes before deciding to leave.
As for customer service, FORGET IT!!!! We were not given a refund because we had "already entered the campsite" so we lost about $350.00 for the whole week. The kid working inside claimed we had a "bad attitude," so he refused to give the refund. The manager was nice enough to move us down about ten feet so we had a little more privacy, but the place SUCKED. I would not recommend this to anyone, even to my worst enemies.
We left, without refund, and booked another place-The Great Escape (I highly recommed) for about the same price but this place was sooo bad that we left without our money. To the kid in place, you should know customer service should be your number one priority, even if the customer is unhappy, you should negotiate with them until they are. Word of mouth is very powerful and I will only say negative things about this joke of a campground for as long as I live.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
10 Thank Camper1024
ct
Reviewed August 8, 2008

In all my years of camping, I have never been treated so poorly but a campground owner. When I made our reservation, it took me several tries, as there is never anyone in the office. Need wood? Forget it. Ice? Nobody there to sell it to you. During our stay, cable was being installed in the TENT sites. Nobody let us know this, and one evening, (the last we were there) three men were digging up the ground around our fire ring laying cable. The result was pieces of wire, several sharp objects, and holes of dirt and mud all around our tent. When I complained, the owner and her assistant called me a liar; that no work had been done. The owner argued with me, and her assistant cussed at me. We asked for the loan of a hatchet when we arrived, (three times) and never got it. At one point, the bathrooms were padlocked, with no note, and no other bathrooms on premesis. Fine if you're in an RV, not too good in a tent. Never have I been treated so badly by someone running a business.

Stay away from River View Campground, Lake George, NY. A ruined vacation for $36 a night. Pathetic.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Lake George RV Park
Lake George RV Park
#2 of 32 in Lake George
Super 8 Lake George/Warrensburg Area

Been to Lake George Riverview Campground? Share your experiences!