“The Pinebrook Motel, Lake George, NY”
Review of Pinebrook Motel

Pinebrook Motel
Ranked #67 of 89 Hotels in Lake George
poughkeepsie,ny
“The Pinebrook Motel, Lake George, NY”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I read the reviews of the Pinebrook by others and am surprised at their experiences. We stayed for the weekend and did not have problems. We received wash clothes and towels every day as well as, cleaning the room while we were out. The coffee was out about 8am and I saw the manager cleaning and skimming the pool between 7am and 8am every morning. Overall, it was good for the price and the view of the lake was nice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 68cruiser

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Wynantskill, New York
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I booked this room back in June as a Father's Day gift for my husband to stay the weekend of the car show in September. He ended up go alone because our oldest son changed his mind about going at the last minute, so instead of two people it was only him staying. The room was never vacumed nor did he get new towels when they cleaned his room. On the last evening of his three night stay (Saturday the 8th) I called and left a message at the hotel for him to call me right away...our son had been hit in the face with a baseball on the opening day of fallball. The ball hit him just above his lip and because these are teenagers they throw the ball hard..he ended up with a split that went straight through to the inside of his mouth. Off to the emergency room we went and after waiting four hours and having to switch hospitals in order to meet the plastic surgeon who was giving him the three layers of what ended up being 16 stitches we finally headed home. In the mean time the hotel had given my husband the message to call me and although he wasn't able to get a hold of me because I was in the middle of holding my son's hand while they stitched his face when he called, he was able to get a hold of one of our employees who told him what happened. My husband told the hotel owner what happened and that he had to leave. The next day at around 6 p.m I called to ask if they could refund the one nights stay or issue me a credit to stay at another time. The owners wife told me that it was their polocy to not give refunds. I explained that I owned a business an that I totally understood the need for policies but explained that this was an emergency and had it not been for that my husband would have still stayed. She said no that it didn't matter and I said that was bad business and that if one of my customers had placed a order and it was in the oven being made and they had an emergency and had to leave I would say too bad you still have to pay for this..she responded with "if it were my son i would be worried about him and not the money" I told her that our main concern was our son who was now feeling fine witht eh exception of a very swallon face and he was resting in his room. I will never stay there or the Seven Dawrf motel who is run by the middle eastern family ever again!

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! None of the rooms were ever vacumed nor were clean towels replaced in the room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank shallwedance40

Travelers are raving about these Lake George hotels

Gouverneur, New York, United States
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I reserved two rooms for the weekend of the 6th through the 9th, the weekend of the car show. One room was for my husband and myself, the other for my boss and his wife. When we arrived, we went to the office to check in. The people who run the motel are of middle eastern descent. When we entered the office, it was small and there was a young man behind the counter, just inside the door was an older man sitting in a chair, barefoot, with his legs stretched out so that you had to be careful not to trip over them. He never spoke. The young man behind the counter was very pleasant but spoke broken English. I paid for our room, got the keys and off we went. We were to be in room 4 which is a second floor room with a balcony. My boss and his wife were in room 1, also on the second floor. Upon entering our room the one thing that jumped out at me was the queen size bed was pushed against the wall, no room for someone to walk around and get in on the other side. The bathroom was very small. The room did appear to be clean, at least the important parts, the bed and the bathroom. My boss's wife showed me their room, smaller than ours(which wasn't very big) and the walkway to get to the bathroom was very small, they had to squeeze down through to get to the bathroom. The next day was when things got interesting. We all went off to the car show, upon returning to our room I discovered the cleaning person had been there. The bed was made, the trash had been emptied. I walked into the bathroom to discover that she had taken all of the old towels, even the ones that I had hung up to reuse and she had only replaced towels, we had no wash clothes. My husband's response was its ok we can use hand towels as wash clothes. We went out onto the balcony, the gentlemen in room 3 came out extremely angry. The cleaning lady had never been in their room. One of them brought out the trash to put in the dumpster, another came out carrying the dirty towels that had never been collected and off to the office he went. It was the older man who was in the office and he proceeded to argue with him that the rooms had all been cleaned, our neighbor threw the dirty towels on the counter and said does this look like the room was ever cleaned? He also told him that we had not been given clean wash clothes. Our neighbor returned with clean towels etc and a few minutes later the older gentleman approached our room carrying hand towels and wash cloths. He would not speak to me, nor look directly at me (I am a female). Instead he kinda grunted and extended the stack of towels toward my room. I got up and took them from him and thanked him, he never said a word. When my boss and his wife returned, the only thing that had been done in their room was making the bed. None of the rooms had been vacuumed and some hadn't been touched at all. The next day, my husband and I returned to the room while the cleaning girl was still on the balcony cleaning. She was in the room just down from us. There was a stack of towels sitting in the chair outside our room and my husband picked it up and took it inside. She had already been in our room, this time she did manage to leave one wash cloth. The floor still had not been vacuumed. When she came out of the other room, we were sitting on the balcony and I addressed her with "hon, you only left us one wash cloth could we get another?" This girl, my guess is she was late teens or early twenties, looked at me as though I was speaking jibberish. I took my hand and motioned around my face and repeated wash cloth. She never spoke, she walked away and came back with more hand towels. The remaining rooms were the same, as people returned, she had not vacuumed and the cleaning was hit and miss. By that point, my boss's wife had started finding cobwebs in their room and spiders everywhere. The first morning when everyone went to get ice from the ice machine below our rooms, we discovered that the older gentleman had turned it off the night before and what ice had been in there was melted. The over priced soft drink machine did not work. The pool looked nice from a distance however on closer inspection, it was filthy. We did not in the entire time we were there see anyone put chemicals in the pool or even skim the debris from it. The free morning coffee that was advertised, was not put out until 8:30 or 9 am when the majority of the guests were already leaving for the day. The only good things I can say about this place are the bed we slept in was very comfortable and we enjoyed the balcony and the conversations with the other guests. I would never recommend this motel to anyone and I will not ever stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank April M
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Extremely expensive for very poor services and bad conditions overall (e.g., there is no housekeeping provided, broken outlets, bad smell, stinky garbage cans displayed near the rooms entrance, old pillows and bedding, manager not willing to cooperate with the customers, etc). We were very unhappy with our staying there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank pancake_acna
Narrowsburg, NY
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I knew something was up with this motel as soon as we booked it. Our nightmare started when we were quoted $139 /night instead of the published rate of $89/night. When I brought that up and asked why the extra cost they quickly changed the price and said they made a mistake and it would be $89. When we arrived and went to the office, the smell of food, curry I think, was overwhelming. The clerk was nice enough but was a bit strange. I should have asked to look at the rooms before I paid but didn’t. BIG MISTAKE! We were given the key to unit 11 which had one queen bed and one single bed. The room was very small, cramped, musty, dingy and overbearingly depressing. Walls were cracked and dirty. The rug was filthy. This was not an enjoyable space and my wife started to cry. I also became upset at the prospect of spending 3 days of well earned vacation time in this dungeon. I sat on the bed and the springs creaked loudly and poked me through my pants. I got nervous and checked for bed bugs. Thankfully I didn’t see any but there were other dead bugs under the mattress and in the bathroom as well as small holes in the blankets and sheets. In all my life I have never seen a more depressing motel room. I don’t know how some guest gave this place a good review. My wife and I looked at each other in disbelief. I then turned on the small A/C unit which was so high up we needed a chair to reach it. The second the musty air hit me I stated to have an asthma attack. That was the final straw. As I sat outside gasping for breath my wife went to the office for a refund. The clerk offered us another room in the motel but we didn't want to chance it. He reversed the charge for two nights on my CC but would not give me a refund for the first night. After we found new accommodations my Wife called the Pinebrook owner and after some animated discussion he did the right thing and refunded half our first night deposit. I wasn’t expecting the Taj Mahal for $89/night but I was expecting a clean room with some basic creature comforts and no asthma triggers.
PS. To be fair, remember this review is only for room 11. I don’t know what the other rooms looked like and didn’t stay long enough to see how their services stacked up. Also the pool did look nice and inviting and the property had a nice view of the lake.

Room Tip: Look at the rooms before you pay.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ToPoorToCare
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed here because it was at the heart of everything and the price was good. It was a pretty clean place, but it needs a lot of updating and I think that makes it seem dirty, dusty and old. The curtains didn't cover the whole window and being that we were right off of the parking lot that was a bit uncomfortable when changing in the room and even just sleeping. We got two double beds and one was very comfortable the other was spring city. The kitchen was outdated, dark and a little creepy. The room was dark and dreary looking. The staff was nice enough, nothing more than average customer service.

I really think if this place got new floors, paint, new shower curtains in the rooms and got rid of the comforters on the bed and replaced them with white cotton blankets - it would really spruce the place up and make people feel more comfortable staying there. It is in a GREAT location so it's too bad it is so outdated.

Given all the options on the strip in Lake George I don't think I'd stay here again unless some updating was done or we were on a very tight budget again.

Room Tip: Maybe try a room without a kitchen, maybe they are better? More updated, I'm not sure.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Holly N
Catskill NY
Reviewed August 1, 2012

When we first got there the customer service was rocky. First of the guy watched us like hawks the whole time--just real weird. And the pool was a nice lil area, pool rules state 9am to 10pm---my husband and son got kicked out at 9:30. Our sheets had burn holes in them. The backboard to the bed was in pieces under the bed. There were white see through curtain with no shades in bathroom with motel guests facing the bthroom--had to put towels in window before a shower. As well as a dead bug on the curtain and it was stained..ugh...and there were no shades in main room just a light curtain so lots of sunlight in th a.m. hours. Houskeeping only made 1 bed and didnt chnge the garbage in which we stayed 2 nights..The plus part was seeing the lke from afar and seeing the babbling brook out back. Stayed at several places in lake george and this was a big FAIL. I would go back to the Blue Moon or the Tiki...and a few others...and I usually like all of the little motels...a NO GO for sure.

Room Tip: The side closer to town is more lake view....and closer to the babbling brook. Photos to come
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family