“Unique Experience to Remember Forever”

Lake Clear Lodge & Retreat
Saranac Lake, New York
“Unique Experience to Remember Forever”
Reviewed January 19, 2011

My family and I had dinner here, and some of us stayed for the night in a room in the Lodge.
The owners were very accommodating to our young children. Our dining experience began downstairs in the pub with some drinks. There is a cool beer/ wine cellar where we could pick out our selections. The beers were not cheap, but this was a special occasion and we drank some tasty German smoked beer that we would not find anywhere else in the Adirondacks. The owner explained the menu offerings, took our order and invited us to come up to the dining room when we wanted. After a walk down to the Beautiful lake, we returned upstairs for dinner.
Dinner was very good. Between all of us, we sampled most of the fare. Everyone was happy with their meal, the server offered second helpings if we wanted more. The meal began with a cucumber salad and bread basket. Then Soup, and my entree was Sauerbraten with a delicious red cabbage, potato pancakes and more. Everything was homemade and tasty.
I am very glad we came here for our special dinner. We felt the owners went out of their way to share their Unique historic Lodge. The dinner was not cheap, but neither was the atmosphere or the food.
We look forward to returning. Thank you to the owners for sharing your lodge.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank bears92

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed January 16, 2011

I had spent months trying to plan the perfect weekend to propose marriage. Everything was falling into place, the ring, the wine, and the location. I couldn’t have gotten it more right; the Hoymeyer’s Lodge on lake clear offered the intimate setting and relaxed atmosphere that I had envisioned for our special night. We were able to turn our phones and computers off and simply enjoy each other’s company in front of a beautiful fire, and relax in the spacious Jacuzzi.

The cabin was quiet and comfortable, just a short walk from the beautiful lodge. The property is nestled in a setting only an old world lodge can provide. The Hoymeyer’s were gracious hosts who made every effort to make sure our stay was as wonderful as possible.

We arrived on Friday night and after settling into our cabin we met the host and hostess in the Unique, hand crafted Wein & Bier Keller for a beer and cheese pairing. The presentation, atmosphere, and brief history of the beers that we sampled were phenomenal, and the combinations were spot on.

Saturday began with a delicious homemade breakfast. The Hoymeyer’s kindly let us borrow two pairs of snowshoes to use for a morning walk along the lake. In the evening, I scheduled a surprise sleigh ride through Country Dreams Farm that was romantic. Melissa was extremely accommodating and went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable and warm during our sleigh ride around the property. Dinner was outstanding. We had the Winter-fest Sampler plate that included beef stroganoff, smoked pork and apple, and a variety of game sausages. Everything was artfully prepared and delicious.

We ended up spending spent 2 nights at the Lodge. It was well worth it! P.S. – She said yes!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alechan56
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We totally enjoyed our experience with the Hohmeyer's! Our accommodations were both relaxing and homey. Nice to sit in front of the fireplace on a cold winter's night after a soak in the whirlpool tub! No distractions such as TV. We had dinner in their restaurant one night and loved the food! We were told that Cathy uses family recipes and the quality definitely showed. Family run business that made us feel like part of the family. We will definitely go back!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PAtraveler455
LakeClearLodge, Owner at Lake Clear Lodge & Retreat, responded to this review, January 18, 2011
Thanks for visiting again. It was nice to see you after all these years. Thank you for taking time to share your kind words. We had added the two new chalets and the sunset lakeview event center since you were here last, among many other changes. It was fun to give you a tour and see your faces! Hope your life settles down and that it is not so long between visits next time!
Safe travels wherever you go.
Sincerely, Cathy & Ernest
Dallas
Reviewed January 12, 2011

The Lodge offered a lot of promise, but delivered a different experience. The only bright moment was the pleasant communication with a wonderful hostess, Kathy, and her children, as the Lodge is family owned. The Lodge has a nice location, and spacious accomodations, but the cleanliness and the quality was very much below our expectations, or at least the impression we had from visiting the website. Extremely overpriced for the quality one receives. The efforts to be very safe went to the extend of taking out batteries from the wall clock, no soap in the bathrooms and no temperature controller in the fridge. All these things, including flies in the room, quality of beds, quality of wine by the glass would have been funny, if one could forget the accomodation costs about 500 per night, and dinner - 100 per person.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Fort Drum, New York
Reviewed January 9, 2011

We went here for the sleigh ride which was unbelieveable and the dinner (which was very pricey and we paid $220 for everything). The food was "okay". My husband and I had the salmon which was good but not the best I'd ever had. It had some seasoning which was like pop corn kernals that got stuck in my teeth and on the back of my tongue. The menu said it was topped with caviar but no caviar in site. The bread was delish. The soup was okay. It was chicken dumpling served in a big bowl with not much chicken and no dumplings. The salad was good but there was a long time between meals and the kids were restless. I agree mostly with the previous reviewers. We did get mixed up when we were in the cellar and thought that that's where we were eating and started to settle in when my husband came back and told we were going upstairs. When I did my research while planning the event I thought this was a more upscale lodge and even dressed up a little for it. The service and staff was nice but previous reviewers are right about the buzzwords, etc. My husband loved the bier garden but of course we paid the price. The homemade soda was good. Wish there was a coat hanger though as everyone's coats were piled on chairs and benches at the entrance. We were kinda "lost" during the evening. And my husband and I had a hard time getting our legs under the table without jiggling it and we're average size people. It was interesting but we will not be back,

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank The_Critic6
Fort Drum, New York
Reviewed December 27, 2010

Wow, $35 per person (+tax) for a sleigh ride that was suppose to be 45 minutes and take you down by the lake...was 30 minutes and we sleighed by the lake in a U turn...as soon as we 'arrived' to the lake, she stopped, pointed it out, and then turned right back around. Ok, on to dinner, $39 per person, NOT including app, drink, deserts. My husband and I ordered two sampler plates (meat and schnitzel), costing $49 per person...food was horrible. I am not sure if they were having a bad night, but it was horrible, to say the least. Stroganoff was cold. Pork with rosemary wine sauce tasted like pork with store bought gravy (no herb flavor whatsoever), it was bad, tough and bad. Schnitzel course was just ok, I guess any one can pound some veal, chicken, and salmon and coat it with panko, not impressed at all. The "three courses" for $39 or $49 consists of a small cup of soup, small salad (lettuce with cucumber salad on top), and your meal (no sides were given). My husband got to drink some good beer, which was nice....I asked for a glass of sparkling white wine (which I didn't know cost $17 until the bill arrived!), overall we spenf $160 on food/drink and $80 on sleigh ride. Not worth it. I should have known...when I went to book the appt, I kept calling and calling and leaving messages with the staff and leaving voicemails and no one ever returned my call. I finally called the company who operates the sleigh rides at this location and she informed me that the operators of the b&b were on vacation, so she took my information for them. Please please please, if you are looking to spend all this money (food and lodging) do NOT stay here, look around and read reviews. After we got in from our sleigh ride, we didn't know what to do about dinner, staff did not greet us or explain to us the package or orientate us to the space, as normal b&b's would do...something was way off here...I was considering staying the night, but I am thankful I didn't.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lil_sis1919

Travelers are raving about these Lake Clear hotels

Spokane, Washington
Reviewed November 8, 2010

My husband and I were visiting family and spent 2 nights at the Hohmeyer's Lodge to wind down from the stress of our trip. It was well worth it! We were able to just get away from everything, turn our phones and computers off, no tv, just a good novel, good food and nature. The cabin was quiet and comfortable, and just a short walk from the beautiful lake...wish it was warmer so we could have relaxed in the Adirondack chairs by the water! Went for a hike along the old railroad tracks and then enjoyed dinner in the Lodge one night (cooked in our own cabin the second night). I had the delicious roasted pork and my husband had salmon, along with a great bottle of wine that was suggested to us in the Rathskeller. We felt like family in the Lodge, only without having to deal with our own families! ;)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Mirror Lake Inn Resort & Spa
Placid Bay Inn
Placid Bay Inn
#1 of 14 in Lake Placid

Been to Lake Clear Lodge & Retreat? Share your experiences!