“Genuine Old World Hospitality and Food!”

Lake Clear Lodge & Retreat
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I visited the lodge for a couple nights, as part of a work trip.

After staying in so many luxury hotels, the relaxed, informal family atmosphere was such a balm for my spirit.

No stiff, carefully manicured folks behind a registration desk, just Kathy and Ernest. Kathy often in her apron, from the kitchen. I only eat real food, and I respect what they are doing at the lodge, to support local food industry, but more than that, I felt very well fed, and Ernest provided the "just right" old world service I'd exfpect in a lodge nestled in the Alps!

The servings were generous, the food seasoned exquisitely. One night I ate a simple chili in the education center, one night I ate in the restaurant.

What a gem it is! I hope other like minded people flock there, to support old-world hospitality.

Gosh, if I listened to the problems other people on Trip Advisor shared, I would have missed out on not only nutritious, but delicious meals, the warm company of two individuals who's care is everywhere evident, but I'd also have missed out on one of the most relaxing weekends of my life.

I will definitely return, but a word of advice to other travelers! Leave any preconception baggage back at home! As a culture we've become used to fakely perfect hospitality. What the lodge provides is night and day different from the Hilton or Holiday Inn Express, as the warm, cozy mom and pop restaurant down the street is to McDonalds. If you want the Hilton, you will be disappointed. But, if you want something soul-filling, well, you'll be in the right place.

There's something really genuine about that place and the folks that run it.

Room Tip: The room I choose was in the main house and really whimsical. It had tree branches on the ceiling. R...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CathySueRaymond

Reviewed December 15, 2012

We went for dinner since we've heard that it was very good with a nice Adirondack feel. First we stopped by and nobody was around, no bell to ring, no number to dial, etc.
Dinner was very limited with only about 5 items to choose from and then there was one additional item that had a $15 up-charge. The only German type entree just happen to be the $15 up-charge one. When we were paying the price that they charge for a dinner, we weren't expecting to be surprised with limited selection and then an additional charge. In addition, plates were chipped and the paint had worn off...surprised the health dept. hasn't said anything about that to them. I realize it is a small operation but I think they would do a lot better and have better ratings if they did a little planning and planned out and posted what their weekly dinners would be online. I know if they had done that, we would have gone another night, but now we will just drive right by on our way to another restaurant. There are many other places with better food, selection, and just as much, if not more, Adirondack flare.

2  Thank MRSH38
Reviewed August 7, 2012

First off, I wish Bucky402 had posted their review before I booked a stay here with my fiance' last month, as I may have chosen somewhere else. Please do yourself a favor and read it. Here it is...

Pros:

Beautiful secluded location
Good to great food
Impressive wine and beer collection

Cons:

Price - It is extremely expensive. You can stay five-star establishments elsewhere in the forests of the Adirondacks or in downtown Lake Placid for the same price.
Secluded location - There are literally no restaurants, taverns, gas stations, etc. for 20 minutes
Food - Kathy is a very good chef, BUT...
* Dinner is NOT included with most of their packages and is expensive.
* Breakfast is only available for about 1 hour each morning.
Wine and beer - Extremely expensive and strongly pushed on you. Also, they contend (and it may be true) that NY law forbids you from consuming your own alcohol anywhere on their property because they are a licensed liquor establishment.

Basically, Kathy and Ernest are passionate about food and drink, not about running a resort. I chose their establishment because it was a "family-run business" and had included extras that others did not, such as wifi, bicycles and canoes.

- Want to use the wifi? "I guess it's not working and I don't know the password anyway."
- Want to ride the bicycles? "The tires are flat, but you can try using the broken air pump. Oh, btw, you have to wear the helmets that are sitting in stagnant water outside."
- Want to take a canoe out on the lake? "They're sitting on the shore. I'm sure you can find some paddles and life jackets somewhere in the shed."

If these (and money) are unimportant to you and you would like to enjoy food and drink in a quiet nature setting, then this is the place. Otherwise, I would encourage you to shop around.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ff15673
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Gorgeous lake and property but quite overpriced (cabins are expensive and for what you pay you would expected it to be really clean with nice furnishings (cheap $7or so drapes that always get stuck in the door since they aren't even cut to size), outdated. Breakfasts are very good but dinners are hit or miss (Salmon was overcooked and weird spice and meat was terrible (other guests also complained about the meat- fermented or something and strips were very chewy. I couldn't eat it. Please note that if you do have meals included appetizers, drinks (ard 10-15 for beer) and desserts aren't included and 18% tip is added on as well as tax so it adds up. If you're looking for more to do in the area look at the High Peaks Resort in Lake Clear, we were on the water for the AAA rate of $189 and also had free use of kayaks and wonderful dining choices as well as lots of activities in the area. Lake Clear is beautiful but secluded without many dining options around. I'd consider going back if they dropped the rates and I'd probably only have bkfst. Website is very difficult to understand and needs to be updated. Slow service in restaurant and you have to go down to pub to be explained procedure which takes forever.

3  Thank pmd1117
Reviewed July 26, 2012

As always we had a fantastic stay! Great food, great atmosphere and the wonderful second and third generation of the Hohmeyer Family!!!! Thank you again for everything and the outstanding time we always have there.

Room Tip: try one of the cabins for a romantic getaway - they will serve your meals in the cabin!
1  Thank shadowwomannewyork
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed here for a conference I was presenting at. It was a beautiful day and a wonderful view of the sunset behind St. Regis mountain. The rooms are nice, we had a jacuzi tub. The room I stayed in was almost like a cabin. Breakfast the next morning was fantastic.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank jimwalter23
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I know this review is long but please read through to the end. It will save you a lot of money if you are thinking of staying here. What these people do not understand is that one bad review is one too many! We have to say that if we would have read other people’s reviews, we would not be writing our own review! I can guarantee that if you stay here, you will have your own disappointing review to write. We have never written a review before but we feel strongly enough after our experience that people need to know what they are truly getting for the money.

If these people have been in business for over 50 years like they say they have, you would think that they would know something about customer service, routine maintenance, cleanliness, and customer satisfaction. We would never go back nor would we ever recommend staying at this lodging to anyone. We traveled about an hour unlike many others. In communities where people know the area, bad news travels fast. We booked our February 2012 weekend get-away according to an outdated/misleading web page. We were so disappointed in our stay that we wrote to them explaining how disappointed we were in our stay and how we felt the accommodations were way overpriced for the quality of our stay and we received a five-page letter of excuses and how other’s had good experiences during their stay. I would have to question who wrote them?

We made reservations in the Woodsmoke Suite for a two night stay totaling $862.10 this included the sleigh ride which totaled $86.40. It was most disappointing for the price that was charged. Our expectations were extremely let down. We needed a weekend to get away from our busy schedules to relax in a clean environment which according to the pictures on the web that is what we were getting for the money.

There were a few accommodations and amenities we did enjoy, there were too many that did not satisfy our expected stay for the price that was charged. Although it was a rustic suite, a rustic suite should still be clean, maintained, and everything functionable. After all, that is what we were paying for. The cabin was musty, dirty, dusty, and let’s not forget the cob webs. Our little refrigerator freezer door was broke, we tried to fix it but all the food in the refrigerator that we purchased for the weekend froze and had to be thrown away. When we mentioned it during our check out, they were aware that it was not operable but did nothing to replace or compensate for the inconvenience. The advertisement stated the suite/cabin had full kitchen amenities; there were very few amenities which all needed to clean prior to being used. The stove and microwave were so dirty and old that we didn’t touch them. There was little privacy with no shade or curtain in the entrance door of the suite off the porch; sheer curtains that can be seen through in the living room, curtains were too small that did not cover the windows in the bedroom, and the bedding/comforters smelt like they had not been washed in years. The carpet in the bedrooms were musty and dirty. The curtain rod in the kitchen was not secure. It would fall when we tried to open and close the curtains. A paper towel dispenser that would fall in our hands when trying to tear a paper towel off, a toilet paper dispenser that would fall apart when you removed toilet paper from the roll, the toilet tank drained and refilled continuously, a soap dispenser that did not work, the bathroom sink drain was clogged, a kitchen sink facet did not have a screen/aerator so when you turned the water on, the water sprayed everywhere, a toaster oven that you had to hold the button down the entire time while your toast was being toasted, dirty countertop and dishes, the lack of standard cooking utensils, bath towels that smelt like dirty feet. The buildings were not maintained; they needed repairs/paint. The furniture was so old and musty it was very uncomfortable. These owners were far from being conscientious about the quality and the upkeep of their property. It was extremely upsetting to have to pay for what were inadequate and unacceptable accommodations and amenities. This was not expected during our stay…they are ripping people off.

As we entered the restaurant we were greeted and escorted downstairs in the cellar/basement for drinks and appetizers. This is not what we wanted our evening to include and felt pressured and uncomfortable in having to go down in the cellar/basement to wait to be lectured to on the menu choices and to tour their wine/beer collection prior to having our dinner. This was our weekend get-away to do what we wanted to do when we wanted to do it and this was not the case when we went to dine in their restaurant. This should be an option for their customers not a requirement. They do not provide a menu along with prices for any items that are not included in the evening dinner.

Our first night dinner was included in our stay which we found pretty good so we tried it again the second night and was disappointed with the meal. We spend our evening between being escorted down in the wine/beer basement to the slow service in the upstairs restaurant.

We also thought that the sleigh ride would be fun, romantic and something different so we also booked a date and time in advance to our arrival. When we arrived they changed our scheduled time because they had a larger group coming in that wanted a certain time so we got bumped to a new time. The sleigh ride was $86.40 for two people to go around in circles through the woods. We were told it would last all of 45 minutes and it lasted a whole 25 minutes…another rip off.

These are people that think so highly of themselves and have such an arrogant way that we realized that we could not bring up these issues during our stay because we knew that they would not recognize or listen to our concerns. There would have been a scene and our weekend would have been worse than if we just tried to deal with it later. Their arrogance was so evident it made us uncomfortable.

If the charges were not put on the credit card, we would not have stayed. You would think the owners would do something with the information instead of trying to make excuses.

We have learned our lesson. This experience has prevented us from taking a summer vacation. If we ever decide to take another trip, we will always read and base our decisions on people’s reviews. A pleased customer is a returning customer.

Our advise to you is to keep driving don’t stop here.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Gauthier's Saranac Lake Inn and Hotel
The Whiteface Lodge
The Whiteface Lodge
#2 of 31 in Lake Placid

Been to Lake Clear Lodge & Retreat? Share your experiences!