First off, I wish Bucky402 had posted their review before I booked a stay here with my fiance' last month, as I may have chosen somewhere else. Please do yourself a favor and read it. Here it is...
Beautiful secluded location
Good to great food
Impressive wine and beer collection
Price - It is extremely expensive. You can stay five-star establishments elsewhere in the forests of the Adirondacks or in downtown Lake Placid for the same price.
Secluded location - There are literally no restaurants, taverns, gas stations, etc. for 20 minutes
Food - Kathy is a very good chef, BUT...
* Dinner is NOT included with most of their packages and is expensive.
* Breakfast is only available for about 1 hour each morning.
Wine and beer - Extremely expensive and strongly pushed on you. Also, they contend (and it may be true) that NY law forbids you from consuming your own alcohol anywhere on their property because they are a licensed liquor establishment.
Basically, Kathy and Ernest are passionate about food and drink, not about running a resort. I chose their establishment because it was a "family-run business" and had included extras that others did not, such as wifi, bicycles and canoes.
- Want to use the wifi? "I guess it's not working and I don't know the password anyway."
- Want to ride the bicycles? "The tires are flat, but you can try using the broken air pump. Oh, btw, you have to wear the helmets that are sitting in stagnant water outside."
- Want to take a canoe out on the lake? "They're sitting on the shore. I'm sure you can find some paddles and life jackets somewhere in the shed."
If these (and money) are unimportant to you and you would like to enjoy food and drink in a quiet nature setting, then this is the place. Otherwise, I would encourage you to shop around.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Lake Clear Lodge & Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hohmeyer`s Lodge At Lake Clear/Sunset Lakeview Guesthouses Hotel Lake Clear