“The Importance of Being Ernest”

Lake Clear Lodge & Retreat
Reviewed August 11, 2011

Overall, we liked this place very much. We (significant other and two teenagers) stayed in a roomy 2 bedroom cabin (Springtime Melody). We would have preferred a cabin with a view of Lake Clear, but at least we were able to enjoy the Lake with the use of the complimentary kayaks and canoes.
I must mention that the Lodge seems to suffer from a split personality. On the one hand, the cabins and grounds appear to be geared for families, while the dining room seems targeted toward a more upscale market. In fact, the kids declined our invitation for a second meal in the restaurant. Although the restaurant was a very nice experience, the limited menu and enhanced price seemed incongruous with the "lodge style" setting of the hotel.
The Lodge is family run and they tend to overplay this card. I'm on vacation and I want to relax, not listen to the difficult plight of the owners.
(or the chipper all afternoon long, for that matter). Kathy runs the kitchen while Ernest does what needs to be done. Unfortunately, Ernest reminds me all too much of Basil Fawlty. Perhaps its time for vacation for the owners as they clearly need one.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank BRPROC

Reviewed July 27, 2011

The Lodge at Lake Clear is a unique, family run, property that provided us plenty of rest and relaxation. Our unit was called "Reflections" and had a lake view, a hot tub, fridge, and sititng room, coffee pot, eating area, and a very cool wood burning stove. We spent every evening enjoying the sunset over Lake Clear, and especially enjoyed a canoe ride where we spotted several loons! My husband also kayaked on the lake - the canoes, kayaks, and bikes are provided by the lodge for your enjoyment. Breakfasts were very good, and always featured either an egg dish, or a "special" (i.e. waffle with apple topping, or blueberry oatmeal pancakes). We also had one dinner at the lodge, and I advise you to arrive early! The dinner was enjoyable, and featured German style cuisine of the host family, and local produce. We also went on day trips to Lake Placid and Saranac Lakes. I will definately visit the Adirondacks again, and would love to visit in another season. The lodge is open year round, and also features woodworking, including birch chairs made the the owner and his family!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank clairet049
Reviewed January 19, 2011

My family and I had dinner here, and some of us stayed for the night in a room in the Lodge.
The owners were very accommodating to our young children. Our dining experience began downstairs in the pub with some drinks. There is a cool beer/ wine cellar where we could pick out our selections. The beers were not cheap, but this was a special occasion and we drank some tasty German smoked beer that we would not find anywhere else in the Adirondacks. The owner explained the menu offerings, took our order and invited us to come up to the dining room when we wanted. After a walk down to the Beautiful lake, we returned upstairs for dinner.
Dinner was very good. Between all of us, we sampled most of the fare. Everyone was happy with their meal, the server offered second helpings if we wanted more. The meal began with a cucumber salad and bread basket. Then Soup, and my entree was Sauerbraten with a delicious red cabbage, potato pancakes and more. Everything was homemade and tasty.
I am very glad we came here for our special dinner. We felt the owners went out of their way to share their Unique historic Lodge. The dinner was not cheap, but neither was the atmosphere or the food.
We look forward to returning. Thank you to the owners for sharing your lodge.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank bears92
Reviewed January 16, 2011

I had spent months trying to plan the perfect weekend to propose marriage. Everything was falling into place, the ring, the wine, and the location. I couldn’t have gotten it more right; the Hoymeyer’s Lodge on lake clear offered the intimate setting and relaxed atmosphere that I had envisioned for our special night. We were able to turn our phones and computers off and simply enjoy each other’s company in front of a beautiful fire, and relax in the spacious Jacuzzi.

The cabin was quiet and comfortable, just a short walk from the beautiful lodge. The property is nestled in a setting only an old world lodge can provide. The Hoymeyer’s were gracious hosts who made every effort to make sure our stay was as wonderful as possible.

We arrived on Friday night and after settling into our cabin we met the host and hostess in the Unique, hand crafted Wein & Bier Keller for a beer and cheese pairing. The presentation, atmosphere, and brief history of the beers that we sampled were phenomenal, and the combinations were spot on.

Saturday began with a delicious homemade breakfast. The Hoymeyer’s kindly let us borrow two pairs of snowshoes to use for a morning walk along the lake. In the evening, I scheduled a surprise sleigh ride through Country Dreams Farm that was romantic. Melissa was extremely accommodating and went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable and warm during our sleigh ride around the property. Dinner was outstanding. We had the Winter-fest Sampler plate that included beef stroganoff, smoked pork and apple, and a variety of game sausages. Everything was artfully prepared and delicious.

We ended up spending spent 2 nights at the Lodge. It was well worth it! P.S. – She said yes!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alechan56
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We totally enjoyed our experience with the Hohmeyer's! Our accommodations were both relaxing and homey. Nice to sit in front of the fireplace on a cold winter's night after a soak in the whirlpool tub! No distractions such as TV. We had dinner in their restaurant one night and loved the food! We were told that Cathy uses family recipes and the quality definitely showed. Family run business that made us feel like part of the family. We will definitely go back!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PAtraveler455
LakeClearLodge, Owner at Lake Clear Lodge & Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2011

Thanks for visiting again. It was nice to see you after all these years. Thank you for taking time to share your kind words. We had added the two new chalets and the sunset lakeview event center since you were here last, among many other changes. It was fun to give you a tour and see your faces! Hope your life settles down and that it is not so long between visits next time!
Safe travels wherever you go.
Sincerely, Cathy & Ernest

Reviewed January 12, 2011

The Lodge offered a lot of promise, but delivered a different experience. The only bright moment was the pleasant communication with a wonderful hostess, Kathy, and her children, as the Lodge is family owned. The Lodge has a nice location, and spacious accomodations, but the cleanliness and the quality was very much below our expectations, or at least the impression we had from visiting the website. Extremely overpriced for the quality one receives. The efforts to be very safe went to the extend of taking out batteries from the wall clock, no soap in the bathrooms and no temperature controller in the fridge. All these things, including flies in the room, quality of beds, quality of wine by the glass would have been funny, if one could forget the accomodation costs about 500 per night, and dinner - 100 per person.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 9, 2011

We went here for the sleigh ride which was unbelieveable and the dinner (which was very pricey and we paid $220 for everything). The food was "okay". My husband and I had the salmon which was good but not the best I'd ever had. It had some seasoning which was like pop corn kernals that got stuck in my teeth and on the back of my tongue. The menu said it was topped with caviar but no caviar in site. The bread was delish. The soup was okay. It was chicken dumpling served in a big bowl with not much chicken and no dumplings. The salad was good but there was a long time between meals and the kids were restless. I agree mostly with the previous reviewers. We did get mixed up when we were in the cellar and thought that that's where we were eating and started to settle in when my husband came back and told we were going upstairs. When I did my research while planning the event I thought this was a more upscale lodge and even dressed up a little for it. The service and staff was nice but previous reviewers are right about the buzzwords, etc. My husband loved the bier garden but of course we paid the price. The homemade soda was good. Wish there was a coat hanger though as everyone's coats were piled on chairs and benches at the entrance. We were kinda "lost" during the evening. And my husband and I had a hard time getting our legs under the table without jiggling it and we're average size people. It was interesting but we will not be back,

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Placid Bay Inn
Placid Bay Inn
#1 of 14 in Lake Placid
Gauthier's Saranac Lake Inn and Hotel

Been to Lake Clear Lodge & Retreat? Share your experiences!