“kneeling room only”

Our Lady of Victory Basilica
Reviewed September 8, 2013

this remarkable tribute to the working folks of lackawanna, largely responsible for its construction, would sure even the most skeptical of atheism... the one time I spoke here, at a dear friend's funeral, my knees actually shook, a circumstance without precedent

1  Thank DOUGANDPOLLY
"open to the public"
"father baker"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed September 7, 2013

This 1920's basilica is a beautiful and grand Catholic church. We happened to spot the huge dome while visiting the Buffalo area and decided to take a peek. There was a wedding going on so we were able to hear the organ and listen a bit to the priest. The museum on the lower level was closed but I understand that it is mostly a tribute to Father Baker who is entombed in the basilica. He was apparently a major figure in the area from the late 1800's through 1936 and is being considered for canonization. His charitable work continues through a legacy charity. The building is a work of art... murals and marble and beautiful mahogany. The stations of the cross are some of the most impressive I've ever seen.

1  Thank setter3
Reviewed August 1, 2013

First you do not have to be religious to experieance this place. It is amazing; a wonderful place to reflect regardless of your belief. It is free and only a short drive from Buffalo, NY. Worth the trip just to walk around it; I do not recommend it for a family with children under 6; it most likely would be boring for them.

2  Thank Jane L
Reviewed July 15, 2013

What a magnificent church! I was amazed to see this majestic Basilica on the corner of a regular street! Living only 30 minutes away I can't believe the grandeur of this building, inside and out! There is a huge gift shop and museum honoring Father Nelson Baker who is buried in the church in a grotto to the side of the main altar. I truly felt I was in ITALY as soon as I entered the building! I can't wait to go again! The Botanical Gardens are right down the street but we didn't have time to check them out. I hear they are beautiful!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is a must see. If you are Catholic, then try to attend mass at the Basilica. The church looks like one of the traditional European churches. The mural on the dome is magnificent. The entire church is simply beautiful. Be sure to take the time to walk around the entire church then go down the basement to the museum and gift shop.

1  Thank Alma W

Been to Our Lady of Victory Basilica? Share your experiences!