“FILTHY AND DISGUSTING MOTEL”
Review of Super 8 Kingston

Super 8 Kingston
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Kingston
Reviewed July 6, 2010

My husband and I were traveling from Maine to Ohio and we had been driving for 12 hours and needed to pull over and get some sleep. We saw this Super 8 in Kingston, NY, and checked into Room 122. My husband was so tired that he went right to bed, but I started looking around and was shocked at what I saw. This place was so dirty that I took pictures because I knew no one would believe that any hotel would keep a place like this. Below are a few examples of what I saw:

- black crub around the sink
- caked on dirt in the corners of the bathroom floor
- mold on the bathroom ceiling
- a large water stain on the bathroom ceiling
- black crub around the top of the shower
- curtains falling down
- dead bugs in the bathroom light
- Cobwebs behind curtain

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bonnie0814

Reviewed February 28, 2010

I read the reviews after I had made Reservations. The reviews made me nervous. I was expecting the worst.

Keep in mind this is an Economy Hotel off The New York State Thruway ... probably a short term stay .... a night or two ... If you need amenities this is not the place to stay, However it is clean, comfortable, inexpensive, safe, and location was great for my purpose ( Skiing ).
Front desk staff was pleasant and helpful. We had no issues at all , except for missing Remote control .... quickly resolved, no problem.
Continental breakfast needs improvement , Only Toast and Muffins ... Coffee was weak.
Our Room # 112 was clean, however could use some minor TLC in the bathroom.
I would recommend this hotel to a friend for a short quick stay at an inexpensive Motel. If you pay less than $70.00 a night what can you expect .... this place is a good value and centrally located off the NYS Thruway

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cmaloney
Reviewed February 15, 2010

We were in Woodstock, NY for a writer's conference this weekend and decided to stay in Kingston because of the more affordable rates. We were not happy with our stay and when confronted with our complaints, the manager on duty gave us 10% off for the mold and coffee pot. We should have gotten a 50% discount. Our complaints are as follows:
1. Night clerk was smoking behind the counter area and the lobby smelled horrible.
2. The first room he gave us had already been slept in so we moved to another room.
3. The next room was completely dark. At first we thought something was wrong with the electrical but after stumbling around with the light from the bathroom, we realized that none of the light fixtures were plugged in
4. We registerd the room as 2 adults and 3 kids. We were given 4 pillows, not 5, 3 towels, not 5 and only a couple of wash cloths.
5. Mold was rampant on every edge on the wall and the tub/shower.
6. In the morning, we attempted to use the in room coffee pot. We loaded it but nothing were coming out. It was then we realized that someone has dumped the grounds of a tea bag into the water receptable. The basket of coffee and tea had a used tea bag envelope under the good stuff. It was obviously not checked.
7. I took the boys down for the Super Breakfast at 7:30. They had less than 1/2 a carafe of cranberry juice in the fridge and 1/2 of a 1/2 gallon of milk. No decaf so the clerk made a pot. The thermal pump carafe he poured it into had a broken pump so I had to get him again to fix it. He told me the orange juice was out. a 1/2 hour after breakfast began. They only had cereal, bread and little muffins. No fruit. Most of the Super 8s have waffles but not this one. We went to breakfast somewhere else.
8. Almost forgot. I have an online business so I need to check it on a regular basis. Because their site said they had high speed access, I assumed they had a lobby computer like most do. They had a printer but told me they had not gotten a computer yet. Then they said they had wireless which was not mentioned in their hotel description.
9. The adults in the room woke up with awful backaches from the bed after tossing and turning all night. At least the mattresses were not covered in stains of who knows what like the ones in the Greenville, NC Super 8!

Because this is the 3rd or 4th time we've had poor experiences at Super 8 in the last year, I do not think we will be using them again. I would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone, not even an enemy.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank bookwormnc
Reviewed December 23, 2009

I stayed two days. My rooms carpet looked like it had never been cleaned. I woke up both morings with bites on my arms and legs. 5 days later, I'm itching like crazy. Don't go there.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Firm38
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Beware that this hotel has a 48 hour cancellation policy. For a Super 8 of all places! Also, even though I reserved and got a price online, they added 5 dollars a day for a safe that I never used. It was on the registration slip that I signed, but I never read those things through ..... after travelling all day, I just want to go to bed. They did refund it after I called back however.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank WetDogSasky
Reviewed August 3, 2009

I didn't arrive with high expectations, but the everything in the lobby seemed clean enough. However, when I entered the room I was hit with a musky, damp smell. If it hadnt been midnight and I was spending more than 5 hrs in the room, I would have switched hotels.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 29, 2009

The Good-Excellent service from the front desk, and housekeeping folks! Free breakfast was acceptable!
The Bad-Air conditioning in room was either too hot, or too cold, couldnt get control over it!
The Ugly-the carpet in room-let black stains on my socks, and was damp-(probably a/c reason), lightning could have been better in room overall.
Overall, for the price, I would have expected more...but, again, the service help was top notch-they made my stay tolerable!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston
Hampton Inn Kingston
Courtyard Kingston
Courtyard Kingston
#3 of 10 in Kingston
Howard Johnson Inn Saugerties

Been to Super 8 Kingston? Share your experiences!