“Great Location on the Rondout Bay”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Rondout Bay Cafe & Marina
Ranked #104 of 209 Restaurants in Kingston
Dining options: Lunch
Dining options: Lunch
Kingston, New York
“Great Location on the Rondout Bay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Over the last few years there have been many improvements at the Rondout Bay marina.
New pool, total restaurant renovation including many upgrades to interior, outdoor spa in covered gazebo and now draft beer. This spring and summer will bring in some great entertainment run by the owner's very talented and innovative daughter. I think you will find this a beautiful spot to enjoy casual dining and even has an outdoor tiki bar made out of a boat. Please stop by and enjoy.

• Visited April 2014

SAUGERTIES
“Nice quiet spot on the creek”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

With its great location on the Rondout Creek, the Rondout Bay is a great place to stop for a drink or a bite, especially when the weather tells me I have to sit out by the water.
The Rondout Bay is a primarily locals place with a marina that has some transient dock space as well. Anthony Bordain included it as one of his stops in a Hudson Valley episode, which helps attest to its local flavors.
The Rondout Bay is a mile or more away from the trendier (and more expensive) Rondout Creek waterfront area of Kingston, but it is one of only a couple of places that are actually on the water. Although the Rondout Bay can get a good nightlife and has special weekend events, its also a great place to stop for a quiet late lunch or early dinner.
Usually, were just grabbing a bite, which means bar food or a burger, and a glass of wine or a beer, but it still makes you feel like your on vacation.
The outside bar is actually the front of an old boat with stools placed around the outside - could definitely use some updating. I have to admit, I usually go straight to the ouside bar and tables, so I haven't been inside for a while.
The stop today was the first for this year. It's still fairly early for outside dining, but the sun was strong and I wanted to see what the local fisherman were doing. It's part of a short season where the striped bass come up the Hudson River to spawn. You'll see boats as small as 12 feet and larger than 50 feet out trying to catch some of these prizes. The striped bass can easily go 30-40 lbs, and result in great thick steaks I find even better than cod.
A little secret - if you toss a couple fries in the water, your likely to see competition from stripers, bass, sunnies, eels, ducks, geese and a few other local residents.
We only stopped for a glass of wine and a snack today. The prices are more than reasonable, but what really prompted me to write this review was the service. As I said, it's early in the season, and none of the few tables set up outside were in the sun. The waitress set up a table that was out in the sun, and went and got us our drinks. When someone from the marina who was mowing the marina grass started started coming near the area we were sitting, the waitress sprinted across the yard and parking lot to stop them from disturbing our break there.
I can only say we were more than awed, and we look forward to more leisurely drinks by the water.

• Visited May 2012