“Huge portions, excellent food”

Hickory BBQ Smokehouse
Ranked #24 of 210 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Pai, Thailand
“Huge portions, excellent food”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

I've been going to this low-key, family-style restaurant since it opened over a decade ago. The food is consistently good and the portions huge. Service is usually very good--the owners train local high school seniors as the wait staff. It's definitely the best value meal in the area.

My favorites are the smoked turkey thighs and the smoked turkey salad. Even though it's a BBQ place known for its meat, I sometimes get the vegetarian sides sampler---5 different "sides" ranging from coleslaw (which is GREAT) to cooked greens to rice and beans. There's always enough for to bring 2 of the 5 sides home for the next meal.

They have a back room which is perfect for meetings, large family gatherings or special events. The owners are attentive and want to do whatever it takes to please their customers. They also help support good local causes.

• Visited October 2013

Hyde Park, New York
“Pretty Good”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I went with a coworker when we were working nearby for lunch. We had hush puppies, kinda dry and not much flavor. The maple butter they came with was very good. I had the pulled pork sandwich, a good mix of pillowy soft meat and some outer bark with just the right amount of smoke, with coleslaw on a soft roll. The sweet bbq sauce was also quite good. The macaroni salad was a bit on the sweet side, could have benefitted from some cider vinegar. The other sandwich was a juicy chicken sandwich. We split a pitcher of draft root beer which was perfect with the bbq. There were 7 or 8 tables and only one waitress and no hostess, she did pretty well although a bit overwhelmed. I gave the restaurant 4 stars for the bbq, I ate here before and all the bbq was excellent and so was the service, so basing this on two visits.

• Visited November 2013
New Jersey
“Wedding Catering”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Hickory BBQ catered our June '13 wedding at The Hill and did a fantastic job! The owner, Steve, was extremely patient, helpful, accommodating, and honest when working with me over the many months that it took to plan the event. I first heard about Hickory through a review I read on Yelp. I contacted the girl who wrote it and she vouched for their professional catering service and delicious food. I took her up on it and am so very happy with this choice. Their staff were professional and the food they cooked up was delicious. Our guests raved about it. There was hardly anything left from the buffet for us to take home because many guests came up for second and third rounds! One of our favorite dishes that they make is the blackened catfish. It's served with a tasty sauce and is one of the best we've ever had. We visited the restaurant several times before the wedding and couldn't help ordering it each time, along with their soups of the day (split pea was delicious!) and garlic mashed potatoes. Our bartender, also provided by Hickory, did a great job with the drinks. Possibly too good. Our wedding was a great party thanks in part to his fabulously strong drinks! We will definitely return to Hickory when we are in the area. Thank you team!

• Visited June 2013
Utica, New York, United States
“Best BBQ in town, ♥ the maple butter!”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I went to the Hickory BBQ Smokehouse for my birthday last year and it was a great meal! As a starter, the house serves you corn bread with maple butter and together, they're probably the best appetizer I've ever had - so much, that I'm looking into making my own! I ordered the pork riblets and the meat was so juicy and tender but just a little on the spicy side for my taste. You'll also wait a bit of a while for your meal - anywhere from 20 - 30 minutes for a party of 2 - 3 people - but it's well-worth it. I would definitely enjoy going again!

• Visited December 2012
Wallkill
“Tough ribs, couldn't cut them with a knife!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We ordered full rack of ribs, so tough and fatty, by the time you found any meat on them, they were cold! Mac n cheese was very light on the cheese. Service was fine, although advertised chocolate cream pie, they didn't have it. Only thing good was the sweet tea. Overall experience was very disappointing.

• Visited September 2013