“Nice Place”

Steel House Restaurant & Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This restaurant is a nice place to stop and grab a bite to eat. It is bar fare and their salads and burghers are good. The place gets noisy at times but it is a great stop. The service was real good and I wouldn't hesitate to visit again.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Steel House is a true-to-form bar & grill with an outstanding location in the Kingston, NY Roundout Historic Waterfront District. They've got a great covered dock where we sat and ate, drank and enjoyed the river front on a very nice day. The food is bar fare - appetizers, burgers, sandwiches, salads and some entrees. We've been there before, but this time for a brunch-lunch and thoroughly enjoyed the harbor and the dining experience, again. Yes, Kingston is a large river with a true harbor for some riverboat cruises as well as for pleasure craft of all kinds. I understand that they have music or other entertainment on most summertime weekend nights, but we were enjoying the very quiet and casual late-morning early-afternoon time. Their burgers are hearty, their salads are fresh and their servers are on-point. I recommend Steel House if you are in Kingston.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

the atmosphere was fun, the wait staff were friendly and honestly, the food was fine, it just wasn't spectacular, all in all it was a very pleasant evening.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

My husband and I arrived for dinner with another couple on a Saturday night at 6 PM and were quickly ushered to the back deck because there was a wedding reception inside. With storm clouds overhead, we asked the waiter what they'd do if it began to rain and he said they'd move us indoors. But luckily that wasn't necessary, as the music from the DJ was deafening on the outside porch with doors closed! So I would suggest calling ahead to be sure this doesn't happen if you plan to dine there.

I had the NE clam chowder which was very tasty although a bit sandy and too peppery for my taste. The chicken marsala was tender and the sauce was delicious. The side of mashed potatoes were also too peppery for me to eat much, but would have been good otherwise; fresh broccoli was crisp-tender and fresh. My husband had the london broil which was very tasty and tender. Our friends had the scrod pomodoro special, which was a very large portion with fresh tomato sauce and mozarella - they both enjoyed. The portions are big and our waiter was quite competent. As one other reviewer said, there was an occasional sewer smell when the breeze blew the wrong way.

PROS: large portions, well prepared, river view
CONS: Chef heavy handed with pepper, being put outside during very loud reception being held inside, smell from sewer

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I am extremely critical of restaurants but I have nothing but praise for Steel House. The best fried calamari I may have ever tasted, tossed in a spicy sauce. My wife loved the fried cheese ravioli, the best she ever had and she said their shrimp scampi was even better than mine and she loves mine. The by-the-glass wine list could stand some improvement but overall this was a very pleasant experience.

1  Thank albiev