“Great hotel, but obsolete dangerous CC policy”

Hampton Inn Kingston
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Kingston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Great hotel, quiet, great beds, good free breakfast. However, they are still taking a credit card imprint at checkin. There is my name, my full credit card number and expiry date on a piece of paper they keep for 7 years. Unacceptable today.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Kevin T

Reviewed April 17, 2013

My wife and I travel a lot. We enjoy travelng and staying in different hotels. This trip was a surprise for my wife just to get away and relieve some stress and relax. I made the arrangements and the woman that aswered the phone was extremely helpful. I explained that i would like to surprise my wife, but wasn't sure if we had plans for the evening already. I was concerned about your cancellation policy. I was told that I needed 24 hours notice to cancel without penalty. I explained the reservation was for that evening and I didn't have 24 hours to start with (more like 8 hours). She spoke to someone else and said no problem,and she would make a note in the computer. AWESOME customer service !! We arrived at the hotel and the staff was friendly, and helpful. They even recommended a local resturant to dine at. However, the next morning we awoke in pain and discomfort because the bed and pillows were way too soft. I know you cannot please everyone when it comes to bed preferences, but I feel the need to say something. As well the 'hot tub" was very small and not very romantic for two. For the $220.00 a night, overall not worth the money.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Pool was very warm, even the air was heated to a warm temperature. Nice location, easy access to restaurants and shopping malls. Lobby was very nice and the staff was terrific. Overall, a great value.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Always exceptional, always spotless, quiet and the best Hampton Inn anywhere. We had a delightful stay and one small issue - a TV reception issue beyond the hotel's control - was addressed immediately and decisively.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank denitzfamily
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My father died April 6th at 2:15 in the morning at Northern Dutchess Hospital in Rhinebeck, NY. I had traveled all day Friday from Albuquerque, NM to be with him.
I was unfamiliar with the roads in Rhinebeck, especially at night and I was exhausted both physically and emotionally. I arrived at the Hampton Inn in Kingston after 3 am in the morning without a reservation. Winston checked me in and was so very kind because I could hardly think straight. In the morning, under my door, was a sympathy card from Winston and other staff. It was so unexpected and kind! I will never forget it. I hope you give Winston a reward for going the extra mile. Gwen Barnhart

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gwen S
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Hampton Inn is the Hilton chain's mid-price level product. They are most often a high value for the dollar but there is variability in their performance. The Hampton Inn in Kingston, NY [on Rt. 9W] is a jewel. Access off I-87 is easy. Access off Rt. 9W is quite easy. Staff are remarkably helpful, rooms are modest but quite clean and comfy. It is clear that this is a well-managed facility. We stayed on a Monday night, non-holiday period and found it nearly sold out. We wondered at this until we did an intense critique. It sold out that night because people have found it a very nice accommodation along the NY State Thruway. This is a high recommend: Staff make their guests feel well treated!

Room Tip: Stay on the north side to avoid hearing the train that runs behind the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kalonymos
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This property seems typical of Hampton Inns everywhere: good value, clean, comfortable, free parking, breakfast included. They are not going for style or personality, but do functionality and convenience well.

This one is located on a street that had available multiple chain and fast food restaurants, as well as other retailers. This came in handy when I walked over to the adjoining CVS pharmacy for some aspirin, then went to the adjoining Taco Bell when my family got the late night munchies.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingston
Best Western Plus Kingston Hotel & Conference Center
#2 of 10 in Kingston
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kingston-Ulster
Hampton Inn by Hilton New Paltz NY
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream

Been to Hampton Inn Kingston? Share your experiences!