“Bistro feel open front in Old Kingston”

Ship to Shore Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 210 Restaurants in Kingston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Reviewed July 4, 2014

What a nice Sunday evening, had not been in Kingston in years. The old downtown section was busy w/people and restaurants. Nice feel to whole area. Restaurant is old store front place...long and narrow. We sat in a front window..we few tables on sidewalk. When I went in to give hostess my name, she could not find my reservation...she was very relaxed about it..even though they were busy she said we can work you in and offered 3 choices of seating.

Waiter for some reason seemed bit nervous, no idea why because he was professional and knew his menu. If you sat in the interior of restaurant might have been bit noisy but we had no issue with noise level at all.

Very nice well priced varied wine list. About 15 well mixed whites and 20 reds and 5 sparklings. Price range $ 26-160, only 4-5 over $ 70. We had a nice chard that was properly chilled.

Excellent bread served w/olive oil and butter. We shared a scallop app and they were nicely done. I had Bronzino grilled from the menu. Not served as whole fish but the two filets...nicely done if a bit "too grilled" for some I enjoyed it with very good accompaning vegetables. Wife had a chicken special w/aspargus an excellet lemon butter sauce ..was very good.

Truly had nothing to not like about the meal. Would go back in a second if in Kingston.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Ship to shore was recommended by our B&B host, and we were very happy with our meal and wine choices. We were there on an early Sunday evening and they were out of a lot of the specials listed for that night, which was a bit of a disappointment. What we DID have was excellent, though.
Server was experienced and attentive. I have to comment on one thing, however. One of his tables outside had a dog with them. He pet the dog under it's chin while he spoke to the owners, than wiped his hand on his apron. I can only hope he washed up immediately afterward.......

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We were in town for the horse show in Saugerties and decided to try this place out based on all the reviews. It lived up to the reviews. I made reservations for an outdoor table, which was really nice. Almost European how you sit on the sidewalk and street as people walk by. Area is quiet, but has a lot of energy- you can see boats parked along dock, but restaurant isn't right on the water.

The food was really good. Choices were unique and very fresh- better than many restaurants we go to in the city. We had some starters and then mains.

I only have two criticisms. The waiter messed up our order because he was rushed and didn't take the time to clarify which specific special we were ordering. His hurried pacing continued with the food. It came out too fast. Seemed like they were trying to turn the table over uncomfortably fast.

Other complaint is seafood mac and cheese. Can't recommend it. Very confused dish in my opinion. Just lumps of mac and cheese thrown on some unseasoned seafood. There are better options.

Overall very good though.

1  Thank rm27839
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We are from Westchester County, but my brother now lives up in the Albany area. Via an online search, I discovered this restaurant when looking for somewhere midway in the Hudson Valley area for us to have brunch with our father for Father’s Day. Based solely on reviews, I made a reservation here. Located in Kingston’s historic waterfront area (which has the feel of a quaint little New England town), Ship to Shore was a pleasant surprise. To begin, the wait staff was friendly and attentive without being obtrusive and the ambiance and décor was quite charming (I especially loved the ceiling tiles and the fans). The food…….was on the money; our compliments to the chef! We were a group of five and started by sharing some of the small plates: Lamb Lollipops, Pan Seared Sea Scallops and the Jumbo Crab Cake (which our father said was the best crab cake that he’s ever had - generous with the crab meat without a lot of “fillers”). After they arrived at the table, we regretted ordering entrees (Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken, Tuna Nicoise Salad, Fish and Chips and Eggs and Prime Rib Special) and wished we had just ordered a bunch of the different small plates to share. The entrees were all equally delicious, but filling as the portions are generous. Overall the food and service was top notch and well worth the drive up yesterday; we will definitely be back!

1  Thank NYHarleyGirl
Reviewed June 15, 2014

My favorite go to restaurant. You can go for appetizers,salads or full meals. All great. Tuna stack great. Steaks amazing. Best French fries

1  Thank Peggy S