“Historic building”
Review of Hoffman House

Hoffman House
Ranked #4 of 210 Restaurants in Kingston
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Beautifully restored 17th century stone house at corner of historic stockade district in Kingston, NY. Summer patio dining, winter fireside dining.
Hurley, New York
“Historic building”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

There is a nice variety on the menu to please everyone in your party. There is a bar menu for lighter fare. The building is one of the original building from the Stockade era of pre Revolutionary War days. One a nice evening the patio is a delightful way to enjoy your meal. The specials are always good. My personal favorite is the fish and chips.

• Visited July 2013

Hyde park
“Great place to eat”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Had a great meal. We had a small wedding receiption there many years ago. It was nice to eat there again.

• Visited May 2013
Rockville, MD
“Not quite as good as expected based on reviews”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Based on recent Trip Advisor reviews, I picked Hoffman House as a place to stop for lunch on our way from NYC to the Catskills. I liked the idea of dining in a historic inn, but we never really saw the inside (other than the women's bathroom, which was not in great shape) because they asked if we wanted to sit outside. We thought it would be pleasant sitting outside but something about where we were seated made it feel too warm, and I was facing the prep and supplies area so it didn't feel like a historic atmosphere.
Service was friendly but a bit slow. I ordered the marinated London broil with garlic sandwich and it came rare, as I had requested. The meat and bread were tasty and but it was impossible to eat as a sandwich, so I just ate the meat with the fork and ate part of the bread separately. There was a lot of meat on the sandwich. My husband had the grilled lamb and onion sandwich, which had bleu cheese spread. It came medium rare, as he requested. He described it as "interesting"--not bad tasting but he would have been as happy with a burger. Both sandwiches came with a mound of curly fries, which were pretty good.
Most of the items on the menu seem pretty heavy, even the wraps and salads, and there doesn't seem to be much if anything on the lunch menu that would be OK for a vegetarian. Also, prices seemed on the high side on the lunch menu--most sandwiches and salads were in the $10-13 range. Even though the food was mostly good, I don't think we would make a point of stopping here again if we were traveling in the area. But even though it didn't live up to my expectations, it could be a good place to stop if you know what to expect.

1 Thank freedshop
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were driving around unable to decide on a location for dinner... Spotted this place and gave it a shot. The building is lovely, the servers highly experienced and friendly. The food was good but not amazing. Although I wouldn't hesitate to go back and try another menu item next time! The cocktails were also wonderful!

2 Thank Blachausse
Poughkeepsie, New York, United States
“Delicious food”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We were there on Saturday, June 8, 2013 for a wedding reception. Our group was in a small side room near the bar. The building and decor are all old fashioned. I believe the building is from the 1700's. The food was amazing and the service was good. I would recommend this to anyone.

2 Thank Christina616